Groups aim to defeat tripling of tran...

Groups aim to defeat tripling of transfer tax

There are 23 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Nov 4, 2007, titled Groups aim to defeat tripling of transfer tax. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Realtors and home builders from across the state have given more than $100,000 to defeat five WNC counties' attempts to raise taxes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dennis Justice

AOL

#1 Nov 4, 2007
“I honestly think that the overly aggressive campaign by the Realtors — all the money, all the mailings and the calls into the homes — I think it’s having a negative, reverse reaction,” said Bill Moyer, chairman of the Henderson board of commissioners.

Funniest line of the year. Unintended comedy is always the best.
Buster

Greenville, SC

#2 Nov 5, 2007
sounds like Moyer wants it to pass...is he a democrat?

Realtors doing something to try and help the citizens save their profits.

Vote NO on ANY new TAXES ALWAYS!
Tax Man

Arden, NC

#3 Nov 5, 2007
Dennis Justice wrote:
“I honestly think that the overly aggressive campaign by the Realtors — all the money, all the mailings and the calls into the homes — I think it’s having a negative, reverse reaction,” said Bill Moyer, chairman of the Henderson board of commissioners.
Funniest line of the year. Unintended comedy is always the best.
Yeah, Moyer, the people are stupid.(Rolls eyes).
Dennis Justice

United States

#4 Nov 5, 2007
"sounds like Moyer wants it to pass...is he a democrat?"

Would you believe he's a registered Republican? So are the other four members of the County Commission. Moyer's the face of the campaign in Henderson County and not a good one. You do not ever issue threats in your sales pitch, and threatening property tax increases if this fails isn't sitting well with the voters. 3,000 voted in one-stop voting. Think about that. We have exactly ONE location to vote for one-stop voting, and 3,000 people took special effort to vote early for this.

They rushed this when they could have planned the whole thing for next year, like Polk County who saw the writing on the wall and backed out of their referendum, but they tried to pull a fast one on us while in bed with the Board of Education (which is dominated by Democrats).

They claimed on their "education" (really taxpayer-funded propaganda) that it will stave off property tax increases if it passes, but their County manager said "it may not be enough."

They claimed it will help parks and recreation (something that is WAY behind and always have been), but will not list a single project on their propaganda if it passes, because there's no planning, and all the letters and editorials never mention parks, only schools.

Can't speak for other counties, but the campaign in Henderson County has done a lot to expose a ton of overspending the last few years on a variety of projects, which would only be rewarded with more taxes if this passes. There WILL be overruns and big ones if this passes.

The land transfer tax is maybe the most unfair tax this side of the death tax. It fails to target the 11,000 illegals in the county, and is highly unreliable as a source of revenue. The sales tax option would have been better, but they didn't want to pursue that, because they didn't think it would bring as much money as the land transfer tax.

The saddest thing is there was no guarantee the General Assembly would even allow the referendums. City of Asheville lobbies for tax options for the Civic Center all the time to no avail. Moyer's line that they're playing "catch-up" just frosts me. Just how long was HE in office, as well as the Board of Education? What would have happened had this referendum not even been allowed? Who would he blame then?

Hopefully, when this dies a fiery death tomorrow, we can look to new leadership on both boards starting with the May 2008 primaries.
1911-govt

Elm City, NC

#5 Nov 5, 2007
What borders on criminal is that they (county officials) are spending taxpayers' money to promote one side of a political issue.

Aren't we taxed enough in NC?
gregflynn

Cary, NC

#6 Nov 5, 2007
The Locke reports are bogus.
http://stopthenchometicks.blogspot.com/2007/1...
They want NC Counties to run on empty.
1911-govt

Elm City, NC

#7 Nov 5, 2007
gregflynn wrote:
The Locke reports are bogus.
http://stopthenchometicks.blogspot.com/2007/1...
They want NC Counties to run on empty.
They don't need to run on empty, but currently they are running on 10 cylinders when they could get by with a more economical 4 cylinder - if you get the analogy.
Willie

Murphy, NC

#8 Nov 5, 2007
To not vote for this tax is ABSURD!! School enrollment is increasing. Schools are going to be built!! This money has to come from somewhere. This tax gets at the very cause of the problem. People selling their land to people wanting to move into WNC.(I can't blame them). This impacts our infrastructure. Property taxes can not keep up with fast growth areas.

I own land and I may very well sell some of it someday. If this tax does not pass, I am pretty sure that I will see an increase in my property tax that will be PERMANENT. I will take my chances on this transfer tax. I may very well not ever have to pay anything. But if I do sell something, paying $400 on a $100,000 sale will not be the end of the world.

P.S. Who makes all the $$ on real estate transactions anyway? The realtors. Hmmm, wonder why they are opposed to it? Most of them get 10% commission on open land. Let's see, that is a $10,000 commission on a $100,000 sale. I guess it would be asking too much for them to forego $400 of that $10,000. Yeah, that $400 could help pay some club dues at the country club.
local and fed up

Sherrills Ford, NC

#9 Nov 5, 2007
So aren't the schools overcrowded due to increase in undocumented /illegal students?

And you want ME to give you my hard-earend equity to pay for them?

You have got to be kidding.

The local governments should tax the companies that hire them.
Linda

United States

#11 Nov 5, 2007
Lots of Republicans and some realtors are for a transfer tax, because they're pragmatists not anti-tax ideologues. The County Commissioners have the figures before them and they know they need more revenue. Commissioners and realtors know that if the county doesn't keep up with its infrastructure, like schools, water and sewer, roads, etc. it will cease to be competitive in attracting new businesses and residents. A 1 % transfer tax has worked very well in the northeastern part of the state. Dare Co.'s property tax rate is 26 cents. The transfer tax is easier on residents than increases in the property taxes, because the money comes out of profits from real estate sales rather than from pay checks and pension checks. This realtor/developer campaign is special interests at their most cynical and destructive. Maybe the people will be fooled in this election. But evidentially reality will intrude and the people will see that the transfer tax is the best choice on the table
Dennis Justice

United States

#12 Nov 5, 2007
Again, you miss the ruse: Property taxes are going up ANYWAY! The County manager said "this may not be enough." Bogus! Realtors can't be blamed for the County not addressing the Mills River school the last ten years, so why should they be targeted to fix the Commission's lack of responsibility? There's no accountability to this proposal, just a demand for us to write them another blank check.

Common sense says that while the seller is taxed, it's actually the BUYER who pays, since the tax will just be added to the cost, and even a few hundred dollars is a deal-killer for poorer families. There's enough taxes and fees involved with house buying as it is. This unfairly targets the poor and minorities and makes housing even less affordable for them. I remember when I closed my own mortgage and had this been there I wouldn't have made it. It also is a tax that would be feeded into financing in a lot of occasions, which means that the suckers who do so will be paying on this for 20-30 years with interest, so of course banks like this idea.

This is so wrong on so many levels it's not even funny, no wonder Henderson County Commissioners look so glum on T.V. promoting it.
Willie

Murphy, NC

#13 Nov 5, 2007
If the Buyers are going to pay, then I am absolutely, definitely 100% in favor of it. And don't even try to tell me that anyone who can afford a $100,000 piece of property is going to let $400 get in the way. I just ran the figures. A $100,000 loan for 30 years at 6.5% interest has monthy payments of $632.00 per month. A $100,400 loan as payments of $634.00. That a whopping $2 per month more!! Deal breaker?? NO!!
Fed Up too

Swannanoa, NC

#14 Nov 5, 2007
Why not just lower the Realtor's commissions to a mandatory 2% and have the other 4% go to paying for needed infrastructure?
David C

Candler, NC

#15 Nov 5, 2007
Willie wrote:
To not vote for this tax is ABSURD!! blah, blah, blah
This tax will hurt the poor & middle-class who are trying to buy their first house.

Why do you hate the poor & middle-class ???

Royal Pain

Raleigh, NC

#17 Nov 5, 2007
The issue is not about taxes going up. With a state that is growing as fast as we are, when you combine that with the fact that medical costs (public health, Medicaid - the services that government provides) and construction costs (schools, jails, roads - all the stuff that government does) are going up much faster than the rate of inflation, then we are going to get socked with tax increases of some sort in the future. The issue is which kind of increase do you want? A higher property tax you pay every year, a higher sales tax you pay on every transaction, or a (very modest) land transfer tax that you only pay when selling your property? I prefer the LTT myself.
JonBurt

Princeton Junction, NJ

#18 Nov 5, 2007
AMEN Royal Pain. Choose your poison. I prefer the transfer tax too.

It's not going to hurt the poor and middle class. In fact, it will probably tax the higher income class more. They tend to do more of the "high end" buying and selling.

I agree. It's ABSURD not to vote for this tax.
Taxed Too Much

Arden, NC

#19 Nov 5, 2007
Willie wrote:
To not vote for this tax is ABSURD!! School enrollment is increasing. Schools are going to be built!! This money has to come from somewhere. This tax gets at the very cause of the problem. People selling their land to people wanting to move into WNC.(I can't blame them). This impacts our infrastructure. Property taxes can not keep up with fast growth areas.
I own land and I may very well sell some of it someday. If this tax does not pass, I am pretty sure that I will see an increase in my property tax that will be PERMANENT. I will take my chances on this transfer tax. I may very well not ever have to pay anything. But if I do sell something, paying $400 on a $100,000 sale will not be the end of the world.
P.S. Who makes all the $$ on real estate transactions anyway? The realtors. Hmmm, wonder why they are opposed to it? Most of them get 10% commission on open land. Let's see, that is a $10,000 commission on a $100,000 sale. I guess it would be asking too much for them to forego $400 of that $10,000. Yeah, that $400 could help pay some club dues at the country club.
Why the heck should ONLY folks who sell/buy real estate pay this unfair ridiculous tax?
This is the most unfair & absurd tax (other than taxing inehritance on otherwise ALREADY txed funds).
If you are so hellbent on paying more, send it in. Fool.
Must be a democrat.
MaconRealtor

United States

#20 Nov 5, 2007
As a Realtor in Macon County I am ashamed of the campaign the NC Assoc. of Realtors and our local Realtors have waged in our county. I have never observed such a greedy, self-centered band of hooligans in my long real estate career. No wonder Realtors are held in such low-esteem.
gregflynn

Cary, NC

#21 Nov 5, 2007
Taxed Too Much wrote:
<quoted text>
Why the heck should ONLY folks who sell/buy real estate pay
You think slumlords won't pass the cost on to tenants? Just because the retailer remits sales tax to the Dept of Revenue doesn't mean he's the only one paying.
Taxed Too Much

Arden, NC

#22 Nov 5, 2007
gregflynn wrote:
<quoted text>
You think slumlords won't pass the cost on to tenants? Just because the retailer remits sales tax to the Dept of Revenue doesn't mean he's the only one paying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =3ce0AlotSTwXX
The tax occurs when a property is sold, not rented. So, in essence, your rant does not make sense.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Swain County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Swain County Music Thread (Nov '13) Jul '17 Musikologist 9
News 2nd language gets top priority in school (Aug '07) Nov '16 Demophobic 6
dss/cps corruption (Oct '11) Nov '15 Christal douglas 7
News Tourism Board meets, provides presentation to P... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Dave 2
News Mike Clampitt announces run for Statehouse in D... (Feb '12) Jul '14 Braindead 3
News Swain man charged with child sex crimes (Apr '10) Apr '14 Was NC Now Florid... 8
News Swain at last makes foray into animal control (Oct '09) Mar '14 Outside looking in 17
More from around the web