2nd language gets top priority in school

When Lyudov Deynega grows up she wants to be a teacher. The 10-year-old loves science and one day hopes to lead a science classroom. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Jul 07

Hendersonville, NC

#2 Aug 16, 2007
This is all fine, well and good.

However, couldn't the money being spent be used to better educate the children who are CITIZENS of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA by birth right?
lee

York, SC

#5 Aug 16, 2007
Skidoo1969 wrote:
This is all fine, well and good.
However, couldn't the money being spent be used to better educate the children who are CITIZENS of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA by birth right?
BINGO!
tfj

Winterville, NC

#6 Aug 16, 2007
Hodoroaba family - 6 children
Deynega family - 9 children

I hope these parents have the ability to provide food, clothing, and shelter for all their family members, and have the ability to pay for their medical care - I surely don't.
noot

Duncan, SC

#8 Aug 16, 2007
tfj wrote:
Hodoroaba family - 6 children
Deynega family - 9 children
I hope these parents have the ability to provide food, clothing, and shelter for all their family members, and have the ability to pay for their medical care - I surely don't.
get off welfare and get a job. maybe my taxes would go down.
Like It Is

Casar, NC

#9 Aug 16, 2007
noot wrote:
<quoted text>bingo my *ss the peolpe that are here and want to become u.s. citizens are fine, but the illegal ones are the problem. we all know you go to chinise and mexican to eat, so shut the h*ll up.
Apparently you are in idiot- and it shows in your spelling!
ded

United States

#10 Aug 16, 2007
lee may have made typos but you apparently understood his message----- sufficient to call him names. Typical lib response, how about something logical, like makeing education of native american citizens "top priority"!!!!
1911-govt

United States

#11 Aug 16, 2007
noot wrote:
<quoted text>bingo my *ss the peolpe that are here and want to become u.s. citizens are fine, but the illegal ones are the problem. we all know you go to chinise and mexican to eat, so shut the h*ll up.
Looks like noot could have done better in school. Missed the classes on spelling and reasoning?

“Report and Deport1866-DHS-2 ICE”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#12 Aug 16, 2007
The number of Buncombe County Schools students speaking languages other than English during the 2005-06 year:
Spanish: 1,021.
Romanian/Moldovan: 113.
Ukrainian: 96.
Russian: 72.
Korean: 19.
Marshallese/Ebon: 12.
Albanian/Shquip: 10.
Chinese: 9.
Japanese: 8.
Vietnamese: 8.
Portuguese: 7.
Afrikaans: 4.
Arabic/ Egyptian/Lebanese/ Syrian: 4.
Farsi/ Persian/Dari: 4.
Hindi/Urdu: 3.
Cantonese: 2.
Mandarin: 2.
Danish: 2.
French: 2.
Greek: 2.
Gujarati: 2.
Hawaiian: 2.
Indonesian: 2.
Ponapean/Pohnpeian Portuguese: 2.
Salvadoran: 2.
Tagalog/Filipino: 2.
Telugu: 2.
Thai/Tai/Thaiklang: 2.
Turkish: 2.
Yoruba: 2.
German: 1.
Hatian/Creole: 1.
Hmong/ Hmong-mien/ Hmongie/Chaunq iandi: 1.
Kazakh: 1.
Khmer: 1.
Nicaraguan: 1.
Swedish: 1.

I am so glad that AC-T published these numbers.
1911-govt

United States

#13 Aug 16, 2007
ded wrote:
lee may have made typos but you apparently understood his message----- sufficient to call him names. Typical lib response, how about something logical, like makeing education of native american citizens "top priority"!!!!
I'm hardly a liberal, and I think grammar and spelling errors are bad.

If you come across as an idiot, your point (regardless of its validity) will be missed. That's not conservative or liberal, just true.
Childs Play

United States

#14 Aug 16, 2007
Some of you people need to make up your minds. Is it illegals you have a problem with or just immigrants in general? These folks are here legally and as far as welfare goes, I highly doubt it. The work ethic of Ukranian and Moldavan immigrants surpasses that of a lot of american citizens that are on the government dole.
Mehitabel the Alley Cat

United States

#15 Aug 16, 2007
NO ENGLISH BUT SURE KNOW HOW TO BREED. WILL THESE KIDS TAKE SEX EDUCATION CLASSES?
I'D LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THEY REALLY TEACH IN THE HISTORY CLASSES.
SOME YEARS AGO THERE WAS A PHRASE GOING AROUND: "WHERE DOES AND ALIEN GO TO REGISTER?". SEEMS TO ME IT WAS SOME COMIC. DOES ANYONE REMEMBER WHO IT WAS?
WELL, DIDN'T TAKE LONG TO TURN INTO: WHERE DOES AN AMERICAN CITIZEN GO TO REGISTER? ANSWER: THE IRS AND ALL STATE AND LOCAL TAX COLLECTION OFFICES.

Since: Dec 06

United States

#16 Aug 16, 2007
ded wrote:
Typical lib response, how about something logical, like makeing education of native american citizens "top priority"!!!!
In other words only the American Indian who is a true native should have been educated? Were you and your family here before them? Any legal immigrant is entitled to an education in their quest for citizenship to our country.
kjr

Cary, NC

#17 Aug 16, 2007
The first thing they should have to do is learn the english language AND speak it in public. Whether they are legal or illegal if they want to come to the United States they need to learn to speak so they can be understood. Too much money, time and energy is wasted on all of them.
earl

Duncan, SC

#18 Aug 16, 2007
Noot is not the brightest bulb on the christmas tree.
John Kuhlman

Casar, NC

#19 Aug 16, 2007
There is no question about it--the working generations must support those too old to work as well as those too young to work. When the veterans came home from WWII, we went about procreation with great enthusiasm. Succeeding generations seem to be more interested in recreation. Eventually, there will be a real crunch--too few in the working generations and too many in the "too old" generations. If you are not drawing Social Security or Medicare, you need to be thankful for the immigrant families with lots of children
lee

York, SC

#20 Aug 16, 2007
Like It Is wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you are in idiot- and it shows in your spelling!
And his comprehension!
lee

York, SC

#21 Aug 16, 2007
Childs Play wrote:
Some of you people need to make up your minds. Is it illegals you have a problem with or just immigrants in general? These folks are here legally and as far as welfare goes, I highly doubt it. The work ethic of Ukranian and Moldavan immigrants surpasses that of a lot of american citizens that are on the government dole.
Spoken by someone that doesn't work with Ukranians! They have the same sh*ta88 personalities as they did in their home country. The men dominate them and it shows!
LMW

Greenville, SC

#22 Aug 16, 2007
If you come to the US, under VISA, and WORK, MAKE A POSITIVE CONTRIBUTIUON TO THE US, WANT TO BE AN AMERICAN (ie learn American English, learn the customs of the US, AMERICANISM themselves,) GREAT!

In the early years of the US, peoples came to the US to be AMERICAN. Peoples were PROUD to AMERICAN, Work, and Provide for Themselves and their families.
Southernbelle

AOL

#23 Aug 16, 2007
jeez, why do they all have so many children and what made them come to WNC out of all the places they could have gone. I'll bet they are getting some kind of public assistance, they don't speak english so how can they work?????

“Why do ya need to know that?”

Since: Feb 07

Leicester

#24 Aug 16, 2007
Are these children catered to with translators? If they are, I see a lot of tax payers money being wasted for this. I am neither illiterate nor ignorant and I think this is a crock. IF you attend a public school in the United States, you should HAVE to be able to speak the language first.

Crack away on me all you want. This is disruptive to children trying to learn and if you are not in this country legally, you have NO right to anything, let alone a free education at the expense of taxpayers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Swain County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Swain County Music Thread (Nov '13) Aug 23 Musikologist 4
Tourism Board meets, provides presentation to P... Jul '14 Dave 2
Mike Clampitt announces run for Statehouse in D... (Feb '12) Jul '14 Braindead 3
Swain man charged with child sex crimes (Apr '10) Apr '14 Was NC Now Florid... 8
Swain at last makes foray into animal control (Oct '09) Mar '14 Outside looking in 17
Sheriffs Election in Swain County for 2014 (Feb '14) Mar '14 Kevin 2
Abandoned dogs found in trash bin (Mar '13) Jan '14 DarkBranch 2
•••

Swain County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••