No new swine flu cases reported in Sussex County

Jun 2, 2009 Full story: New Jersey Herald 24

No new cases of the so-called swine flu have been reported in Sussex County, although results from one sample among 10 taken from county residents have yet to be reported.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“follow, obey, baaaah”

Since: Jun 09

sussex county

#1 Jun 15, 2009
We received a notice from the school in Hamburg claiming a staff member has the evil swine flu. I haven't seen anyone using there snout to dig for truffles yet, but apparently we're all doomed.

I wonder why it hasn't made it into the papers yet? Maybe embarrassment; since the administration might have to admit, "you don't have to go to the big city to catch you the pig flu."
victim

Newton, NJ

#2 Jun 17, 2009
the swine flu is all over sussex county but it's not been documented. My daughter has it and the doctor told us that nearly every patient he has seen has had the same symtoms. I got is after 2 days of being exposed and I can tell you that it definitely is the flu. I have not been to a doctor because there is no need. If people think that the swine flu is not in this county, they are sorely mistaken.

“follow, obey, baaaah”

sussex county

#3 Jun 18, 2009
victim wrote:
the swine flu is all over sussex county but it's not been documented. My daughter has it and the doctor told us that nearly every patient he has seen has had the same symtoms. I got is after 2 days of being exposed and I can tell you that it definitely is the flu. I have not been to a doctor because there is no need. If people think that the swine flu is not in this county, they are sorely mistaken.
The fact is there are probably thousands of people walking around with the dreaded swine flu. People are in panic mode, because they've lost the ability to think for themselves. Of all the people terrified of the swine flu, I wonder if any of them have considered calling their doctor, and maybe asking, "hey, how bad is this thing?".
victim

Andover, NJ

#4 Jun 18, 2009
The doctor would tell them that it is a relatively mild flu for most people. It's crazy....I got a recorded message from the school reassuring parents that there are no confirmed cases. Well I work there and I have it and many people there know that I have it. My doctor did not want to cause hysteria by calling it the swine flu but it was apparent that he meant just that.
staying informed

Cudahy, WI

#5 Jun 18, 2009
victim wrote:
The doctor would tell them that it is a relatively mild flu for most people. It's crazy....I got a recorded message from the school reassuring parents that there are no confirmed cases. Well I work there and I have it and many people there know that I have it. My doctor did not want to cause hysteria by calling it the swine flu but it was apparent that he meant just that.
Can I ask, are you planning on taking Tamiflu for it? I've heard there are really strange side effects from it, but no one I know has taken it yet. I hope you get better soon.
victim

Andover, NJ

#6 Jun 19, 2009
I did not take it but my asthmatic daughter who had the flu did as well as my other daughter who has not had any symptoms. Neither had any side effects. There is apparently a shortage in the area (what does that tell you?) so they are trying to restrict it to those at highest risk for complications.
Concerned Mom

Sparta, NJ

#7 Jun 19, 2009
Does anyone know what school this child went to? My heart goes out to the family.

“follow, obey, baaaah”

sussex county

#8 Jun 19, 2009
Concerned Mom wrote:
Does anyone know what school this child went to? My heart goes out to the family.
What chile are you talking about?
victim

Andover, NJ

#9 Jun 19, 2009
At the risk of causing problems, I'd rather not say what school. The staff at the school is aware. What they chose to do with the information is their choice. Many kids at this school have been ill as have kids from other schools. Thankfully, we are fine- just a residual cough now. My heart goes out to the family of the 10-year old boy who recently died as a result of the flu. any flu is a threat- not just the swine flu.
Concerned Mom

Sparta, NJ

#10 Jun 19, 2009
A ten year old sussex county boy died from the swine flu - it was in todays news but it did not list the school, the town or the name of the child, only that he died in Morristown Hospital.-So very very terrible.
blizzboy

Somerville, NJ

#11 Jun 20, 2009
We have a right to know where this child was from . This is REALLY upsetting!!!!!
victim wrote:
At the risk of causing problems, I'd rather not say what school. The staff at the school is aware. What they chose to do with the information is their choice. Many kids at this school have been ill as have kids from other schools. Thankfully, we are fine- just a residual cough now. My heart goes out to the family of the 10-year old boy who recently died as a result of the flu. any flu is a threat- not just the swine flu.

“follow, obey, baaaah”

sussex county

#12 Jun 21, 2009
blizzboy wrote:
We have a right to know where this child was from . This is REALLY upsetting!!!!!
<quoted text>
You can't seriously expect every school in the county/state/country to let us know everytime a student or staff member comes down with the flu.
Why do you find it so upsetting? THe information will be made publc, but the family is taking their time to mourn their loss. It really isn't about us.
Concerned Mom

Sparta, NJ

#13 Jun 21, 2009
I am reading thru this and I have to say that "Victim from O'Burg" - at the risk if causing problems you would rather not say what school? Please, you post that you are work in O'burg school so unless many teachers/staff in that school have the swine flu it would be hard to identify you, otherwise, if not than I assume you are already at risk to causing probelms because you have already put this out there. If you know what school then the smart thing to do would be to say what school it is for the parents out there who have children in that school system or play sports, etc with children from that town/school. Whatever - you probably don't even know. Never-the-less, I was informed as of yesterday, and it is not any student from Franklin, Hardyston, O'burg or Hamburg. The student was from Hopatcong. If you going to come on the internet to blog then be honest with people instead of trying to get attention. I feel so bad for this family and I respect their privacy but I think we have the right to know the district, not the specific person, that isn't our business because it is about us when it comes to our children.
blizzboy

Somerville, NJ

#14 Jun 21, 2009
THANK YOU! THUMBS UP TO YOU. I don't have a single cell in my body that wants to know specifically who, just where - it is my right because it is a public health issue and for the safety of our children.
Concerned Mom wrote:
I am reading thru this and I have to say that "Victim from O'Burg" - at the risk if causing problems you would rather not say what school? Please, you post that you are work in O'burg school so unless many teachers/staff in that school have the swine flu it would be hard to identify you, otherwise, if not than I assume you are already at risk to causing probelms because you have already put this out there. If you know what school then the smart thing to do would be to say what school it is for the parents out there who have children in that school system or play sports, etc with children from that town/school. Whatever - you probably don't even know. Never-the-less, I was informed as of yesterday, and it is not any student from Franklin, Hardyston, O'burg or Hamburg. The student was from Hopatcong. If you going to come on the internet to blog then be honest with people instead of trying to get attention. I feel so bad for this family and I respect their privacy but I think we have the right to know the district, not the specific person, that isn't our business because it is about us when it comes to our children.
blizzboy

Somerville, NJ

#15 Jun 21, 2009
Actually I do expect to be informed - it is our right and the right of every parent to protect our children. I have no issue not releasing names - just locations - again for our safety. this is a public health risk and you obviously have no clue!
againstthegrain wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't seriously expect every school in the county/state/country to let us know everytime a student or staff member comes down with the flu.
Why do you find it so upsetting? THe information will be made publc, but the family is taking their time to mourn their loss. It really isn't about us.

“follow, obey, baaaah”

sussex county

#16 Jun 22, 2009
blizzboy wrote:
Actually I do expect to be informed - it is our right and the right of every parent to protect our children. I have no issue not releasing names - just locations - again for our safety. this is a public health risk and you obviously have no clue!
<quoted text>
Let me have your email address, so I can at least tell you whenever my children have the flu. I can share it with my friends, family, and co-workers if you like. I don't want to put you at any risk.

Oh, and "victim" never said they knew where the poor child was from. They mentioned that they personally had the flu. they aren't hiding anything from you.

This is not a public health risk anymore so than any other flu strain. This is a public panic attack. Go onto the CDC's website, or homeland security if you like. They'll give you the exact number of people who die from the regular seasonal flu every year. It's in the hundreds of thousands worldwide, almost 40,000 in the US annually, almost 14,000 this year alone. Yet you never hear people asking for the details of those deaths. Why? Because no one even hears about them, they dont go on the news screaming "we're all gonna die!"

I feel bad for the families of those who die, but I'm not going to instill false fears in my children because of it. It's a pandemic, which means it's inevitable that it will spread. You can't do anything special to stop it. It can come from your mail man, the cable guy, someone at the grocery store, a co-worker, just like any other flu. And you know what? Unless you have serious medical issues, the odds are, you're going to be fine.

So, obviously, I do have a clue. With a little bit of research, you can get a clue yourself.
victim

Great Meadows, NJ

#17 Jun 22, 2009
I do not know where the 10 year old boy was from. I, personally, did not put anyone at risk for getting swine flu because I was exposed to it on a friday and came down with it by Monday. I stayed home the required 7 days and have just today emerged from my quarantine. The flu is all over the county and many people have ignored the recommended quarantine and sent their kids back to school so that they wouldn't miss the end of the year. If you are really afraid for your children, have them take Tamiflu....it really does work.

I have to agree with Against the Grain- this is public hysteria. Every death has been in a person with predisposing medical conditions. It is just like any other flu except that it has gotten more publicity. People always die from complications of the flu including my own father (who had COPD). Even with my personal experience, I have not panicked and neither should you.

By the way....I am not from O'Burg nor do I work there. Not sure why it came up that way.
Concerned Mom

Sparta, NJ

#18 Jun 22, 2009
In the posting on June 18th it clearly states "Well I work there" - wtf does that mean as you are talking about the school???
Indeed people in the world have the flu all the time so in the sarcastic response with needing an email address to let us know "everytime your child has the flu" - I'll pass thanks - It's not the regular flu that has people freaking out about and people are dying from... What do you think you can just go to your doctors office and say "hey - can I have some Tamiflu because I'm afraid of getting swine flu?" - Yeah sure - I have seen people walking around wearing masks prior to this because of the regular flu. It's the people who take is so lightly are the ones who end up getting it - Maybe you should santatize your common sense out with some Germ-X
blizzboy

Lehighton, PA

#19 Jun 22, 2009
get a life!
againstthegrain wrote:
We received a notice from the school in Hamburg claiming a staff member has the evil swine flu. I haven't seen anyone using there snout to dig for truffles yet, but apparently we're all doomed.
I wonder why it hasn't made it into the papers yet? Maybe embarrassment; since the administration might have to admit, "you don't have to go to the big city to catch you the pig flu."

“follow, obey, baaaah”

sussex county

#20 Jun 23, 2009
Concerned Mom wrote:
It's not the regular flu that has people freaking out about and people are dying from...
About 36,000 people die from the "regular flu" every year. Normal flu strains have statisticaly done much more damaged. You should read the CDC page, and if you are truly concerned about swine flu in schools, call the NJDOE. They have plenty of H1N1 info.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sussex County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Realtor association holds food drive Nov 6 beerm 1
Sussex teen fights mandatory rule to dehorn goats Jun '14 Zane 1
Walking the dogs.... Jun '14 Zeke 1
Late Show [5/28] Arthur Morgan III Gets Life an... May '14 Bunny Music 1
Quarry's plan to expand onto Lebanon Twp. prese... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Lillian 1
Giuseppe Tedesco of Hopatcong, NJ, charged with... (Aug '10) Dec '13 Kristen 9
Sussex County Medical and Sparta Medical merge ... (Oct '12) Oct '13 Awful 2

Sussex County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE