NJ Bear Attack Never Actually Happened - Regional News - Western New Jersey Story - WFMZ Allentown

Full story: WFMZ

It looks like a bear attack in New Jersey wasn't quite what we thought it was. Officials now say a bear that made its way into a campsite in Sussex County didn't harm two boys.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 13 of13
Bolo

Forest City, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2011

So now there's a bear walking around with a bullet in it's neck, and he did nothing to deserve it. I say shoot the lying kids
FREE CELL PHONES FOR ALL

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2011

SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING KIDS FROM JERSEY WOULD DO...
FREE CELL PHONES FOR ALL

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2011

Lets see...
Were there nanes ..Tony and Viney or
Mandango and Shopelagamaga or
Jesus and Jaun
Sydney

Newark, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2011

I agree with Bolo. Poor bear get the bad rap. Stupid kids, hope they realize what they did and do something decent in their lives to make up for their lack of judgement. Their parents should have to reimburse the taxpayers for all the money spent trying to look for the bear, and they should have to give a decent donation to a wildlife group.
Donzee

Reading, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2011

The "kids" are idiots but so too are their parents only to be trumped by the wannabe, ding bat, "hero" ranger, or rangerett, who wounded the poor thing with his/her pea shooter and all for what? Lastly, check your stories before you cause panics trying to be sensationalistic.
judy

Northampton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2011

those brats this so wrong
judy

Northampton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2011

those brats i feel sorry for the bear
Kennyoco

Lafayette, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2011

It appears to me there were several mistakes made. That bear should of never been shot with buck shot. I think NJ needs to educate themselves to learn to live with the bears. Maybe the city kids shouldnt come to known bear areas without formal training.
I would hope that the two children that lied about being attacted will get fined for filing false police reports and for the state to do a inquary into why the officer took that careless shot with buckshot. Anyone knows all it will do is hurt the bear its not a Kill Shot.
NYRita

Nyack, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2011

A bear that enters a campsite two times, yanks at a sleeping bag with a person in it and collapses a second tent, should be euthanized because it's tendency toward aggression points to a high likelihood of some future problem. It's unsafe for humans, who deserve to enjoy the natural world also. What I don't understand are all the people who now insist that the bear deserves to live, and that it is morally unjust to take the bear's life now. This is what I say to those people: at least that bear had a natural life up until the time it's life will end. All the people who are working on the "coalition" to save the bear: are you really an animal lover? If so, have you considered the extreme daily suffering of the millions of animals who are raised for food in our food agricultural system? Those animals never knew one day of a natural life. They endure horrific and heartbreaking suffering under extremely inhumane conditions, every day of their lives. Rather then being treated as sentient, living things, they are treated like a non-living commodity in a factory. What makes no sense to me whatsoever is that many of the people who are saying this bear should live are the same people who would think nothing of going into ShopRite to purchase chicken or beef from an animal that suffered and was tortured. I'm not saying that people shouldn't eat meat, by the way. That's unrealistic. I myself am not a vegetarian. I'm just saying that consumers could make more compassionate choices and with their habits, decisions, and dollars, make a statement that would bring about change. All you people who are mobilizing for this one bear in some way shape or form, or even just simply speaking about it, don't you think your time, efforts, and energy would be better spent in the service of helping the plight of factory farm animals? Chickens and cows and pigs have just as much of a right to live, and live without suffering, as a bear does. If you care about animals, your efforts, time, and energy should be spent where it really matters.
Stevo

Reading, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2011

Some of these lame comments are too much for me to bear...
Patti

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2011

NYRita wrote:
A bear that enters a campsite two times, yanks at a sleeping bag with a person in it and collapses a second tent, should be euthanized because it's tendency toward aggression points to a high likelihood of some future problem. It's unsafe for humans, who deserve to enjoy the natural world also. What I don't understand are all the people who now insist that the bear deserves to live, and that it is morally unjust to take the bear's life now. This is what I say to those people: at least that bear had a natural life up until the time it's life will end. All the people who are working on the "coalition" to save the bear: are you really an animal lover? If so, have you considered the extreme daily suffering of the millions of animals who are raised for food in our food agricultural system? Those animals never knew one day of a natural life. They endure horrific and heartbreaking suffering under extremely inhumane conditions, every day of their lives. Rather then being treated as sentient, living things, they are treated like a non-living commodity in a factory. What makes no sense to me whatsoever is that many of the people who are saying this bear should live are the same people who would think nothing of going into ShopRite to purchase chicken or beef from an animal that suffered and was tortured. I'm not saying that people shouldn't eat meat, by the way. That's unrealistic. I myself am not a vegetarian. I'm just saying that consumers could make more compassionate choices and with their habits, decisions, and dollars, make a statement that would bring about change. All you people who are mobilizing for this one bear in some way shape or form, or even just simply speaking about it, don't you think your time, efforts, and energy would be better spent in the service of helping the plight of factory farm animals? Chickens and cows and pigs have just as much of a right to live, and live without suffering, as a bear does. If you care about animals, your efforts, time, and energy should be spent where it really matters.
I guess we all missed something in the article. Where did it say that this bear entered a campsite twice and yanked a sleepingbag with a person in it and collapsed a second tent. Only thing it said was the bear tried getting into the tent unsuccessfully and scratched two kids (which never happened). The parents should be fined for making false police report and "crying wolf".
John

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2011

If the bear came into town and tried to get into a house, OK shoot the bear. But these campers were in the bear's habitat,he wasn't tresspassing,they were. And what made the ranger so high and mighty as to try and execute the bear, who by the way is probably suffering with that neck wound thanks to the marksmanship of the ranger who shouldn't have shot the bear inthe first place. Now the bear is wounded and poses a much greater risk to people now thanks to the ranger,who by the way should be fired for shooting the bear. I am a hunter and when I shoot an animal, I make sure it suffers as little as possible and I don't shoot for no good reason like the ranger did.
Sad

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2011

Such a shame that innocent animals get blamed for things they do not do and end up killed for no reason. I am a animal lover and like I always say animals are better then humans.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 13 of13
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Sussex County Discussions

Search the Sussex County Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Quarry's plan to expand onto Lebanon Twp. prese... Mar '14 Lillian 1
Giuseppe Tedesco of Hopatcong, NJ, charged with... (Aug '10) Dec '13 Kristen 9
Sussex County Medical and Sparta Medical merge ... (Oct '12) Oct '13 Awful 2
Hardyston man gets seven years in prison for tr... (Aug '13) Aug '13 disgusted 1
mosquitos (Jul '13) Jul '13 laura 1
Lyme disease (Jun '13) Jun '13 Beth RN 1
Vernon man guilty of setting blaze that destroy... (May '13) May '13 disgusted 1
•••
•••
•••
•••