Rainy weather limits butterfly population

Full story: CourierPostOnline
Children in New Jersey have fewer butterflies to chase this summer. Experts say a chilly, wet June destroyed eggs and caterpillars and delayed the blooming of wildflowers that provide nectar for adult butterflies. Full Story
Jane Vinson

Clementon, NJ

#1 Jul 28, 2009
We live in Salem County and have wondered about the butterflies this year. We have butterfly bushes in our yard as do many of our neighbors, as well as friends who live in other parts of the county and no one I've talked with has seen more than a couple of large butterflies this season. Does this mean even fewer next year? Is there something more we can do to increase the butterfly population?
debw

Canada

#2 Aug 3, 2009
Jane Vinson wrote:
We live in Salem County and have wondered about the butterflies this year. We have butterfly bushes in our yard as do many of our neighbors, as well as friends who live in other parts of the county and no one I've talked with has seen more than a couple of large butterflies this season. Does this mean even fewer next year? Is there something more we can do to increase the butterfly population?
I live in Ontario and have noticed the same situation. I have flowers galore yet no butterflies and dragonflies. Will this limited population affect next years population?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sussex County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police: Woman threw heroin into a bush Dec 3 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
Realtor association holds food drive Nov '14 beerm 1
Sussex teen fights mandatory rule to dehorn goats (Jun '14) Jun '14 Zane 1
Walking the dogs.... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Zeke 1
Late Show [5/28] Arthur Morgan III Gets Life an... (May '14) May '14 Bunny Music 1
Quarry's plan to expand onto Lebanon Twp. prese... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Lillian 1
Giuseppe Tedesco of Hopatcong, NJ, charged with... (Aug '10) Dec '13 Kristen 9
More from around the web