Cops: 3 Vernon teens made 6-year-old drink beer, smoke pot

Sep 24, 2008 Full story: The Jersey Journal 35

Three Vernon boys were arrested for allegedly coercing a 6-year-old into smoking marijuana and drinking beer - causing the child to become intoxicated - and videotaping the incident on a cell phone, police said ...

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sad

Yonkers, NY

#1 Sep 24, 2008
What a shame!
Christina

Yonkers, NY

#2 Sep 24, 2008
How terrible ...
Caitlin

Freeland, PA

#3 Sep 27, 2008
OMG, how could anybody do that?!?!?!?!
kathy

Andover, NJ

#4 Sep 27, 2008
Did you know that one of the kids is the son of VTHS's vice principal. How hard that must be for him.
Camille

United States

#5 Sep 27, 2008
kathy wrote:
Did you know that one of the kids is the son of VTHS's vice principal. How hard that must be for him.
No thats not true i go to vernon its two different carney's not related at all
Mike

Paramus, NJ

#6 Sep 27, 2008
It is utterly disgusting that these individuals would do such a thing to or around a 6 year old. Vernon Township needs to tighten their grip when it comes to teaching students about drug and alcohol abuse. I propose a new video be shown in health classes: One that shows pictures of teenage driver accidents, as well as the make shift memorials all over the town. Top it off with testimonials from parents who have had their child's life taken from them because of being under the influence, or being in the same vehicle with someone that is in general. Every year over the past few years, at least 1 young adult male has lost their life. Everyone knows where the most drug prone areas of Vernon are. Police should also start cracking down on this problem instead of worrying about whose turn it is to direct traffic in front of Mountain Creek during the winter months. THIS NEEDS TO STOP, AND NOW!!!
kathy

Andover, NJ

#7 Sep 28, 2008
Camille wrote:
<quoted text>
No thats not true i go to vernon its two different carney's not related at all
It's unbelievable how rumors are created. My kids were sure it was true. I'm glad to hear that it's not our vice prinicipal's kid. Are you sure? I have a daughter in 10th grade in your school. Thanks for your response!!!
Hopiing

Yonkers, NY

#8 Sep 28, 2008
kathy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's unbelievable how rumors are created. My kids were sure it was true. I'm glad to hear that it's not our vice prinicipal's kid. Are you sure? I have a daughter in 10th grade in your school. Thanks for your response!!!
Hoping too it is not true!
slrjgasdmf

Englewood, CO

#9 Sep 28, 2008
It's not the vice principal's son. one of the other kid's happens to have the last name as the principal, also no relation, just coincidence. And clearly no one here has kids in Vernon, because they'd know that we get drinking and drugs shoved down our throat. however, kids are bored. I know that is a lame excuse, but when they have nothing better to do, they are going to find something to do. That is when we get situations like this. I'm sure there have been others, just some people aren't dumb enough to record it. drugs and alcohol are easy enough to get, and we spend a VAST majority of drivers education on not drinking. ever summer there is a drinking and driving presentation. there are anti-drug speakers. how much more can the schools do? if they raised taxes, people would be outraged, but at the same time, people are asking for more education. the art department doesn't have enough supplies, books are falling apart, and the gym doesn't have enough equipment. why not focus on what is effecting ALL the students, not just these kids?
kathy

Andover, NJ

#10 Sep 29, 2008
Mike wrote:
It is utterly disgusting that these individuals would do such a thing to or around a 6 year old. Vernon Township needs to tighten their grip when it comes to teaching students about drug and alcohol abuse. I propose a new video be shown in health classes: One that shows pictures of teenage driver accidents, as well as the make shift memorials all over the town. Top it off with testimonials from parents who have had their child's life taken from them because of being under the influence, or being in the same vehicle with someone that is in general. Every year over the past few years, at least 1 young adult male has lost their life. Everyone knows where the most drug prone areas of Vernon are. Police should also start cracking down on this problem instead of worrying about whose turn it is to direct traffic in front of Mountain Creek during the winter months. THIS NEEDS TO STOP, AND NOW!!!
I agree w/you Mike. As for teens being bored, I have 3 teenage girls that are bored to death in this town. They do not drink or use drugs. That is the way I brought them up. You have to wonder about the parents of these kids. There is no way my kids could drink or smoke pot and me not know. I know my kids and if they came home drunk or stoned, I would know. My daughter, in VTHS that stopped hanging out with most of her best friends because they started drinking and smoking. The kids drink right in there own house or go to the park and smoke pot and then go home. How can their parents not smell it on them. Parents, wake up and see what is going on with your kids and do something about it instead of blocking it out.
lisa

Stanton, NJ

#11 Sep 29, 2008
It's nice of you to try and cover this up, but it is the Vice Principal and every one in the school knows it. It's all hush hush now..........
Visiting NJ

United States

#12 Sep 29, 2008
kathy wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree w/you Mike. As for teens being bored, I have 3 teenage girls that are bored to death in this town. They do not drink or use drugs. That is the way I brought them up. You have to wonder about the parents of these kids. There is no way my kids could drink or smoke pot and me not know. I know my kids and if they came home drunk or stoned, I would know. My daughter, in VTHS that stopped hanging out with most of her best friends because they started drinking and smoking. The kids drink right in there own house or go to the park and smoke pot and then go home. How can their parents not smell it on them. Parents, wake up and see what is going on with your kids and do something about it instead of blocking it out.
I agree with you that some parents condone this behavior; however, I am not ignorant to think that no child will not try to "pull the wool over their parents eyes". Never say never.
kathy

Andover, NJ

#13 Sep 30, 2008
Visiting NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you that some parents condone this behavior; however, I am not ignorant to think that no child will not try to "pull the wool over their parents eyes". Never say never.
Yes, kids will "try" to pull the wool over their parents eyes, but the fact is that I can't imagine me not knowing if my kids were smoking pot or drinking. That's just not possible.
mommadukes

United States

#14 Sep 30, 2008
I know 1 of the kids and sadly, I am not suprised that he was involved. In Vernon, if the kids aren't into sports, there really isn't much of anything for the "non-sport oriented" kids to do.
Interesting

Herndon, VA

#15 Oct 2, 2008
I lived in Vernon from 1962, and I and my friends always found something to do, we lived at a lake, so there was swim teams, ice fishing, parties and guess what no drugs. Have family still in town and they say that the local kids now go into NY for "things' booze, drugs and bring it back to town. When kids are bored they will find something to do, weather right or wrong, now live in a small town mostly retirees but the kids here too get into drugs/crack and alot of underage drinking. Vernon is not unique, this could have happened in any town, any state. I feel for the 6 yr old, hope his parents get him to couseling so he realizes that not all kids are bad.

Vernon was always a good place raise a family, I have fond memories of my 28+ years there.
kathy

Andover, NJ

#16 Oct 3, 2008
Dear Interesting,
My 3 teens are not into sports. They go to the movies, the mall and places like lazer one to hang out, concerts, etc. But most of all, they love just hanging out with their friends laughing and just having a good time. They are all good kids. All you "mommadukes" think that kids have to be into sports to stay out of trouble. That's just not true.

Since: Sep 08

United States

#17 Oct 3, 2008
Kathy, I never said that kids had to be into sports (please read what I wrote again)- I stated: "if the kids aren't into sports, there really isn't much of anything for the "non-sport oriented" kids to do".

Where I grew up in NY, we had a recreation center that had a gym, pools (indoor and outdoor), outdoor ice rink, game room, meeting rooms for arts & crafts, basically something for everyone. Yes, we have a PAL Center, but it definitely needs to be expanded.

I am a Vernon resident with a teenaged daughter - she is not into sports - she tried it, but it wasn't for her. Yes, she takes dance classes and goes to movies, plays laser tag (which is not in Vernon), snowboards, etc.

My daughter has also walked away from a couple of long time friendships recently because she found out they were getting into drugs & drinking. Yes, kids do make mistakes, but kids also need the tools to be able to make good decisions for themselves and that includes not only talking openly to your kids and actually listening to what they have to say, but also being an aware parent, most kids hit the medicine cabinets at home. You'd be suprised how many kids take simple cold medicine to get high, or hit their parents prescription bottles, muchless take alocohol from home. Unfortunately, peer pressure will always be an issue for kids. We have to be able to get our kids past it.

Since: Sep 08

United States

#18 Oct 3, 2008
What irks me are the parents who have the "not my child" syndrome.
samantha

Vero Beach, FL

#19 Oct 31, 2008
like maybe if you guys all new what really happened you would know its not the teenage boy's fault. i know all of them personally and i know that the 6 yeaar old has been smoking pot and drinking for over a year, his dad let him. so dont try to pass judgement on people you dont know. theyre not bad just f*cking stupid.
Vtown mom

Ephrata, PA

#20 Nov 1, 2008
Samantha, maybe you are smoking some good stuff yourself! If the 6 year old boys father has him drinking beer and smoking pot on a daily basis, he will undoubetly loose his children for child endangerment. My understanding is that there are actual videos of the teenagers performing these acts, so I don't think it's really a question or whether or not these events occured.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sussex County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-white Jan 20 6948fldkg 1
Police: Woman threw heroin into a bush Dec '14 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
Realtor association holds food drive Nov '14 beerm 1
Sussex teen fights mandatory rule to dehorn goats (Jun '14) Jun '14 Zane 1
Walking the dogs.... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Zeke 1
Late Show [5/28] Arthur Morgan III Gets Life an... (May '14) May '14 Bunny Music 1
Quarry's plan to expand onto Lebanon Twp. prese... (Mar '14) Mar '14 Lillian 1
More from around the web