Opponents of proposed Surry County co...

Opponents of proposed Surry County coal plant win a legal victory

There are 1 comment on the The Virginian-Pilot story from Nov 21, 2011, titled Opponents of proposed Surry County coal plant win a legal victory. In it, The Virginian-Pilot reports that:

The proposed Cypress Creek Power Station would be developed by Old Dominion Electric Cooperative.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Virginian-Pilot.

Since: Nov 11

Chesapeake, VA

#1 Nov 22, 2011
On Thursday, July 8, 2010 the Environmental Protection Agency proposed tighter emission controls on coal fired power plants, as it did in 2008. Unfortunately a Federal Court struck down the new rules, saying the EPA had "overstepped its authority." The new rules were intended to reduce "emergency room visits and early deaths" resulting from coal fired power plants such as the proposed one in Dendron, which is a mere 15 miles upwind from where I live in James City County.

Being a retired Chemist, I decided to find out exactly what emissions would be coming my way on the prevailing Southwest wind from Dendron. I was amazed and appalled at what I discovered. Not only would there be thousands of tons of smog forming sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide in the air but, much more alarmingly, hundreds of pounds of deadly mercury each year. Not only that the emissions coming our way will contain several TONS of uranium and over twice as much radioactive thorium every single year. Compare that to the nearby Surry nuclear power plant that concerns so many people but which has NO MEASURABLE EMISSIONS at all!

I moved to James City County eighteen years ago from the Boston area, happy to get away from the pollution and traffic congestion there and trade it for a beautiful, rural (to me) setting. The water wasn't free but the air still was. Well, not anymore! We may not have to pay any money for the air in James City County, but it looks like many or all of us are going to be paying with our health. And, as bad as it will be for me and my neighbors, the closer you live to this coal fired power plant, the more of these pollutants you will be breathing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Surry County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Virginia regulators OK tests for proposed Surry... (May '11) May '11 SDP 1
News Surry nuclear reactor shut down for coolant pro... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Russell 1
News Surry Co. horse owner accused of starving animals (Jan '11) Jan '11 luv my family 3
News Clayton elected sheriff (Nov '10) Nov '10 Happyjack 3
News Jury couldn't reach verdict in Hopewell double ... (Sep '10) Sep '10 really 23
News N/A, License: N/A (Sep '10) Sep '10 prince webber 1
News Motorist dies when SUV flips on Surry County ro... (Aug '10) Aug '10 CELL BKOCK 6 4
More from around the web