College can't provide security at pri...

College can't provide security at private dorms, SUNY Sullivan rep says

There are 2 comments on the Recordonline.com - The Times Herald-Record story from Oct 23, 2010, titled College can't provide security at private dorms, SUNY Sullivan rep says. In it, Recordonline.com - The Times Herald-Record reports that:

Drinking and fights have traditionally flowered at Edgewood Dorms as the summer Hasidic crowd left and large numbers of SUNY Sullivan students moved into the complex, officials say.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Recordonline.com - The Times Herald-Record.

Mother

New York, NY

#1 Oct 25, 2010
So the summer Hasidic move out and the college students who by the way live in not so nice accommodations have no security. Why? you can't get through to the place without passing through the entrances that announce you are at the Sullivan County Community College. I tried to get to the Edgewood Apts and we had to get in through the College entrances. So the college has no responsibility. What about the local sheriff or police department. If everyone knows this is happening between the town locals and the school kids what is being done.?
Yes, these kids are rowdy and perhaps may not be the model citizen but they did not go looking for trouble. They had a party and others from the town came who were not invited.
Mother

New York, NY

#2 Oct 27, 2010
Mother wrote:
So the summer Hasidic move out and the college students who by the way live in not so nice accommodations have no security. Why? you can't get through to the place without passing through the entrances that announce you are at the Sullivan County Community College. I tried to get to the Edgewood Apts and we had to get in through the College entrances. So the college has no responsibility. What about the local sheriff or police department. If everyone knows this is happening between the town locals and the school kids what is being done.?
Yes, these kids are rowdy and perhaps may not be the model citizen but they did not go looking for trouble. They had a party and others from the town came who were not invited.
I read another article where Sam says the kids living here do not want to follow rules. Please keep in mind that the cost is lower, and it gives some of them the ability to live more independently. Don't classify them all the same, that's being very narrow minded. And by the way maybe they should not rent to the students this place is a slum and needs to be cleaned up. How can you in good conscience rent this place out to students. There is garbage all over the grounds and the units are terrible. Yes and since the school can't provide security the local officials have to do something to provide a safe environment for those that are not there because they have no rules but want to get an education. Should the locals have access to the Edgewood area? Everyone knows this is always a bad mix so why can't this be controlled. I send my son up there to get him away from trouble in the New York City area and look what happens. We live in a nice area, home in a nice area in Queens and this is not what I had in mind for my son. Also is the statement of drinking and fights have traditionally flowered at Edgewood Dorms what if anything is anyone doing now that 5=6 of the rowdy students have been stabbed. This is my question and I want answers since my child was badly injured and I am not letting this be swept under the rug.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sullivan County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Court says Bloomingburg housing plan can resume (Jun '14) Dec '15 alpom 8
News Appellate court removes restrictions on Certifi... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Moses Kestenbaum ODA 1
News Delaware passes dog barking law (Mar '08) Jul '15 MadelineNY 5
Editorial: Affordable housing crisis getting wo... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Moses Kestenbaum ODA 1
Discrimination lawsuit against New York village... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Moses Kestenbaum ODA 1
Birds of a feather flock together (Jan '15) Jan '15 Hmmmmmmmmmm 1
Bloomingburg dissolution revote possible Update... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Moses Kestenbaum ODA 1
More from around the web