James Bissett, Long Island Aquarium O...

James Bissett, Long Island Aquarium Owner, Found Dead in Apparent Suicide

There are 2914 comments on the International Business Times story from Dec 16, 2011, titled James Bissett, Long Island Aquarium Owner, Found Dead in Apparent Suicide. In it, International Business Times reports that:

James Bissett, the co-owner of Long Island Aquarium, was found dead Wednesday night in what police are calling an apparent suicide.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at International Business Times.

unnecessary drama

Hartsdale, NY

#814 May 4, 2012
Iknow wrote:
<quoted text>
The story is true. You will find out soon.
http://www.dramabutton.com/
friend of all

Mastic, NY

#815 May 4, 2012
Radio Yesterday wrote:
please this isnt like some small rumor within a couple people that knew him. this is a huge talked about situation. WBAB radio talked about this all yesterday morning. did anyone hear that?
yeah right ok whateva
GUESS_WHO

South Salem, NY

#816 May 4, 2012
Employee wrote:
I think it's sick that people are coming on here adding fuel to the fire without having the balls to name sources. Saying a detective friend is not enough to accuse someone of murder. If this case is so solid what are the police waiting for? Name him. Say SOMETHING! Thats what i dont understand about all of this. He's dead, they supposedly have DNA evidence, the suicide note, etc. It's not like he can flee the country because they named him as a suspect. And I know the arguement is that he killed himself because they were closing in on him but what do the police have to lose at this point? If theres so much overwhelming evidence against him why isn't anybody getting on the news and saying we cracked one of the most horrific cases in long island history? But to me whats even more sickening than people accusing someone of murder on what can only be called rumors at this point is the lack of professionalism shown by the scpd. How can all these "detectives" be running around giving out sensitive information to people who are obviously not trustworthy since the first thing they did was come to this site and post the info. I personally don't think mr bissett is capable of such things and maybe I will be very sad and shocked in the next couple of days, weeks, whatever. But until I hear someone with authority, someone who's not afraid to give their rank and full name and is a member of some law enforcement agency I don't think it's fair to sit here and say he's guilty. I worked for him for 10 years and I just don't think its right to accuse when it seems that no one is sure enough to put their name out there.
!!!!!!!!!! I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS POST !!!!!!!!!!
GUESS_WHO

South Salem, NY

#817 May 4, 2012
Employee wrote:
I think it's sick that people are coming on here adding fuel to the fire without having the balls to name sources. Saying a detective friend is not enough to accuse someone of murder. If this case is so solid what are the police waiting for? Name him. Say SOMETHING! Thats what i dont understand about all of this. He's dead, they supposedly have DNA evidence, the suicide note, etc. It's not like he can flee the country because they named him as a suspect. And I know the arguement is that he killed himself because they were closing in on him but what do the police have to lose at this point? If theres so much overwhelming evidence against him why isn't anybody getting on the news and saying we cracked one of the most horrific cases in long island history? But to me whats even more sickening than people accusing someone of murder on what can only be called rumors at this point is the lack of professionalism shown by the scpd. How can all these "detectives" be running around giving out sensitive information to people who are obviously not trustworthy since the first thing they did was come to this site and post the info. I personally don't think mr bissett is capable of such things and maybe I will be very sad and shocked in the next couple of days, weeks, whatever. But until I hear someone with authority, someone who's not afraid to give their rank and full name and is a member of some law enforcement agency I don't think it's fair to sit here and say he's guilty. I worked for him for 10 years and I just don't think its right to accuse when it seems that no one is sure enough to put their name out there.

!!!!!!!!!! I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS POST !!!!!!!!!!
KLK

Garden City, NY

#821 May 4, 2012
For it to have been Jimmy Bissett, that means everything else about the gilgo murders and Shannan Gilbert were just coincidences. For Bissett to be the killer, we would have to disregard these facts:

1) Shannan was last seen running from the house of Joseph Brewer, a man who admitted to finding and hiring prostitutes, including Shannan, from Craigslist.

2) The other bodies that have been identified belong to prostitutes who went missing after meetings with a John or John(s) who found them on Craigslist.

3) Shannan's driver and residents of Gilgo say she was seen running from Joseph Brewer's home, saying "they are trying to kill me!" There were three people in that home that evening, Josephn Brewer, Shannan's Driver, and a third man who was 100% not Jimmy Bissett.

4) Bissett's suicide was most closely connected in time not to the discovery of Shannan's body, but the night of the Bissett holiday party, and people familiar with the nursery have stated Jimmy felt tremendous guilt for layoffs which had happened immediately prior to the party and during the holiday season.

So, for Jimmy to be the LISK, it means that there is absolutely no connection between dead craigslist prostitute Shannan Gilbert and the 7? 9? other dead Craigslist prostitutes, whose bodies were found less than 200 feet away from Shannan's. That it was just a coincidence that a craigslist prostitute runs, screaming for her life, that Brewer is trying to kill her, happens to fall, drown, and die, a stones throw from where nearly a dozen other dead craigslist prostitutes were dumped, by a second killer, who also happened to be targeting craigslist prostitutes? REALLY?!?!
north fork

United States

#822 May 4, 2012
rumors wrote:
<quoted text>
who's attacking you? can you show us one post where someone attacked you. it's mostly the other way around. some of you are even asking friends or family to leave this forum. as if it should only be filled with vile, nasty rumors and nothing else. sad.
promise us this...promise us when the story does NOT break and goes on record for not being true, promise us you'll return here and apologize. not to us, but to mr. bissett and his family.
I for one will not have a problem apologizing to the Bassett family if it comes back as rumors...as long as you don't have a problem apologizing to the victims families when it comes back that these are not rumors!!!
Theforeigner

Copenhagen, Denmark

#823 May 4, 2012
KLK wrote:
For it to have been Jimmy Bissett, that means everything else about the gilgo murders and Shannan Gilbert were just coincidences. For Bissett to be the killer, we would have to disregard these facts:
1) Shannan was last seen running from the house of Joseph Brewer, a man who admitted to finding and hiring prostitutes, including Shannan, from Craigslist.
2) The other bodies that have been identified belong to prostitutes who went missing after meetings with a John or John(s) who found them on Craigslist.
3) Shannan's driver and residents of Gilgo say she was seen running from Joseph Brewer's home, saying "they are trying to kill me!" There were three people in that home that evening, Josephn Brewer, Shannan's Driver, and a third man who was 100% not Jimmy Bissett.
4) Bissett's suicide was most closely connected in time not to the discovery of Shannan's body, but the night of the Bissett holiday party, and people familiar with the nursery have stated Jimmy felt tremendous guilt for layoffs which had happened immediately prior to the party and during the holiday season.
So, for Jimmy to be the LISK, it means that there is absolutely no connection between dead craigslist prostitute Shannan Gilbert and the 7? 9? other dead Craigslist prostitutes, whose bodies were found less than 200 feet away from Shannan's. That it was just a coincidence that a craigslist prostitute runs, screaming for her life, that Brewer is trying to kill her, happens to fall, drown, and die, a stones throw from where nearly a dozen other dead craigslist prostitutes were dumped, by a second killer, who also happened to be targeting craigslist prostitutes? REALLY?!?!
In al respect, your post makes absolutely no sense, at least not to me.
I simply donīt understand your reasoning. And I know the LISK case in dephth and have reseached it on a daily basis since April 2011.
I have my own suspect,which is not Mr Bissett, so Iīm NOT a person who try or want to put the blame on Mr Bisset.
However at this point I would not ruel him out either.

And just to put one fact straight; The 4 cragiglist prostitute victims was found aprox 4-5 miles west of where Shannan Gilber was found.Here is a map for you to look at:

http://www.wnyc.org/blogs/wnyc-news-blog/2011...
eastport

Medford, NY

#824 May 4, 2012
Well this is some mess and i hope it not be true.I have not a clue where the truth ends and the lies start. How long can this go one with out some real hard core words from the P.D.? Let the Chips fall, shoe drop, ect ect Enough Already I am so tired of the phone calls regarding this about J.B. Lets Roll
Please Copenhagen

New Rochelle, NY

#825 May 4, 2012
Theforeigner wrote:
<quoted text>
I simply donīt understand your reasoning. And I know the LISK case in dephth and have reseached it on a daily basis since April 2011.
I have my own suspect,which is not Mr Bissett, so Iīm NOT a person who try or want to put the blame on Mr Bisset.
And just to put one fact straight; The 4 cragiglist prostitute victims was found aprox 4-5 miles west of where Shannan Gilber was found.Here is a map for you to look at:
How can someone from Copenhagen possibly have an idea of the suspect? The only information you have about a murderer is how you just butchered the English language in your stupid post..
True Detective

Long Beach, NY

#826 May 4, 2012
The evidence is undeniable.......... Each victim was wrapped in a burlap bag that said Bissett Nursery. Also he left his cell phone in bag. Most important..... Rare " Moon Face Grupper Fish" found with all the bodies. Can only be found at Long Island Aquarium..

Case closed
coming this way

Smithtown, NY

#827 May 4, 2012
as i type the fbi and suffolk detectives are at bissett nursery right now you can ride there to look for your self.
Rodent

Marshfield, WI

#828 May 4, 2012
Theforeigner wrote:
<quoted text>
And I know the LISK case in dephth and have reseached it on a daily basis since April 2011.
This guy would have had sooo many other better options available for disposal of a body than "driving to Gilgo" and I don't see any connection to that immediate area.

I'm gonna call it as I see it ... people being friggin nasty and trolling for their own sick amusement.
Sketchy

Luton, UK

#829 May 4, 2012
Anyone see Scooter?
KLK

Garden City, NY

#830 May 4, 2012
Theforeigner wrote:
<quoted text>
Those with "inside information" here have posited two facts supporting their claim that he killer is Bissett:

1) that the burlap was allegedly linked back to his nursery
2) that his cell phone had Shannan's and 2 other of the victims' cell phone numbers in it.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that both of those facts are true (#2 is absolutely ludicrous, but still, I'll play along.)

For "fact" #1: the nursery is a wholesale nursery, which services pretty much all of Long Island and further west. The fact that the burlap may have originated from bissett nursery means only that. It does not tie the killings to Jimmy any more than to any one of the HUNDREDS of landscapers and tree guys that may have purchased burlap from Bissett during the past decade.

For "fact" #2: the only possible way that this "fact" is relevant is if we assume that Shannan was killed by Jimmy. If anyone else killed Shannan, or if she accidentally drowned as the police have postulated, then there is really no relevance to her number being in there. Agreed? So, we are supposed to believe that Jimmy killed two of the three women whose numbers were allegedly in his phone, and then Shannan just happened to be in the same vicinity, on another craigslist call, where she ran screaming for her life and then wound up dead? If you don't believe that Bissett killed Shannan, then it it would be just too coincidental that he killed any of the others.

Though, I'm curious: If you have another suspect in mind, do you think Shannan's death is linked? I'm interested in your theory. Would you mind sharing? I'm not being facetious. I find this very interesting.
ok y not

Long Beach, NY

#831 May 4, 2012
mr true detective ,could you please help O. J. Simpson find the

real killlers.
True Detective

Long Beach, NY

#832 May 4, 2012
You are correct sir, at Bissett Nursery now then off to

the Aquarium to return the Gruper Fish
Fascinated

Bronx, NY

#833 May 4, 2012
I never really paid any attention to this case, but now that it involves a local, I find it fascinating. I was just reading that out of the 10 bodies found, one was a man dressed in womens clothing, and one was a toddler believed to be the child of a prostitute. What a story this is going to be
True Detective

Long Beach, NY

#834 May 4, 2012
coming this way wrote:
as i type the fbi and suffolk detectives are at bissett nursery right now you can ride there to look for your self.
Dear Coming this way,

Time to take off your Tin Foil Hat, the sun is coming out please

come out of your Mom's Basement
GUESS_WHO

South Salem, NY

#835 May 4, 2012
********** THIS JUST IN**********

James Bissett (the father), was just arrested in FL for tampering with evidence. The FBI will be transporting him back to Long Island today.

Random Fan

New York, NY

#836 May 4, 2012
LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Suffolk County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New surveillance cameras to help "fight crime" ... Jul '17 Fake news CNN 1
News Can deputies handle The Big Road? (Sep '08) Jul '17 Lighthouse 118
News Huntington Station Latin Kings Rounded Up (Apr '10) Jun '17 Loyaltyoverroyalt... 57
News Four People Arrested During SLA Inspections May '17 JT Damillagitti 6
Ever been incarcerated and threatened by the po... May '17 abcdefg 2
News Heartland mega-project gets county planning app... (Feb '17) May '17 dictatorship 6
News Charges Filed In LI Chimney Sweep Scam (Feb '06) May '17 Lisa 337
More from around the web