Wind farm causing stir in Cohocton

There are 13 comments on the News 10 Now story from May 10, 2007, titled Wind farm causing stir in Cohocton. In it, News 10 Now reports that:

“We believe windmills were inconsistent with the town of Cohocton's comprehensive plan”

That's the zoning law that would allow windmills to come to Cohocton and the one that has town officials and residents in court. via News 10 Now

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News 10 Now.

Since: May 07

Wayland,NY

#2 May 21, 2007
I believe they should and will be compensated in some way. I can't believe people argue the intelligence of windmills.

Wayland,NY

#4 May 22, 2007
Things change...
We NEED to start showing the government that we want alternative sources of fuel. How will they ever get it figured out if we can't agree? We can improve and other countries have harvested the wind successfully. And from what I understand, it is mostly the trailors that are affected by the noise. I don't see how this is enough reason to turn down clean energy!!
We need to be smarter than that!!

“Geoguy”

Brevard, NC

#6 May 22, 2007
Has anybody bothered to visit an operating wind farm? I recommend going over to Madison and Fenner, NY as the person at this website did: http://www.fairwindvermont.org/sources/Claire... .

I grew up in Hamilton. Whenever I go back to visit, I take the people with me out to the Madison wind farm, 4 miles from town. I am very proud that the area is a source of clean energy. I work with several organizations in my new home in North Carolina to promote wind energy in the southern Appalachians. It sure beats the smog from the coal-fired power plants--now that's unsightly!
Cindy

Dallas, TX

#7 Jun 5, 2007
Madison and Fenner are the ideal...the places the wind companies want you to see. If you want to REALLY see what the Cohocton-Prattsburgh area will look like...go to Tug Hill, Lowville, NY. You will get a true vision of a wind turbine "farm" and it ain't pretty.

Green is good but more research and thought needs to go into this project.

“Geoguy”

Brevard, NC

#9 Jun 8, 2007
Cindy wrote:
Madison and Fenner are the ideal...the places the wind companies want you to see. If you want to REALLY see what the Cohocton-Prattsburgh area will look like...go to Tug Hill, Lowville, NY. You will get a true vision of a wind turbine "farm" and it ain't pretty.
Green is good but more research and thought needs to go into this project.
After googling http://www.mapleridgewind.com/involved.htm , I must admit that I am awed by the beauty and sustainability of wind power. The people who constructed it evolved to live on Earth.
cohocton resident

United States

#10 Jun 10, 2007
Thats a FACT wrote:
One of the arguments is that these huge turbines are unsightly for the hills. I laugh at that as I drive around all the run down homes just in the village of Cohocton let alone the "trash heaps" out in the hills. Most needs paint and their yards cleaned up to keep from looking like flea markets and auto-junk yards. There's NOTHING in Cohocton that looks "good" or Touristy.(yes new word) The big turbines will even bring tourists to the area out of curiosity. The whole deal about this isn't really the turbines. It's the shady work of their elected officials. Think before you vote people.
I'm new to Cohocton, however, at the risk of getting off of topic for a minute, reading that "there's NOTHING in Cohocton that looks 'good' or touristy" kind of hit a nerve with me. Cohocton is a very neat old town and I personally own one of the oldest houses in it. There are plenty of homes in town that look more than "good", they're beautiful and well maintained. I'll agree that there are houses that need their owners to show some pride and clean up ~ but let's not stereotype Cohocton as a place that looks like a flea-market as a whole. It's unfair to the people who do take pride in their homes and who enjoy Cohocton and appreciate the town as a whole. I think it's safe to say that every town has their share of unsightly dwellings, Cohocton is now exception and Dansville certainly isn't either.

Wayland,NY

#11 Jun 11, 2007
Has is occured to anyone that this country is one of the last ones to put clean energy into use? We are behind the times, and even if it doesn't directly benefit the local community immediately...it will. In the long run, we as a whole need switch over to alternate sources of power. Wind power is something that renewable and FREE. It is in all our best interests to start demanding cleaner sources of energy. They will never benefit us if we keep telling them no!!

Wayland,NY

#13 Jun 13, 2007
Eventually they will benefit! That is the point. NYC already has alternate sources of energy in the works, they will only require a certain amount of the energy produced by these windmills. Then what? You all seem to think that it an honor just reserved for NYC? Of course not!! Then it starts to be available for the rest of us. I still say we need all the alternatives we can get.
cohocton resident

United States

#14 Jun 13, 2007
Thats a FACT wrote:
<quoted text>
Tourist 1 to Tourist 2 - Wow! Would you look at those two well maintained houses in Cohocton.
Tourist 2 - Where?
It's not that extreme but let's face it, you don't have people driving out of there way to look at a few well mowed lawns. There's nothing in Cohocton until the festival and once you've been to one of those, you've seen them all. However, the food is really good.
The windmills will bring more people through and help the economy out a little more than normal.
It's too bad that individual houses in Cohocton can't benefit directly from the turbines.
I am not against the windmills at all. I doubt very highly that tourism will be what makes them useful. My point was just that Cohocton isn't the crap community that you made it out to be. I think what makes this town so nice is that it is that people have actually taken the time to restore the old houses and thus its history.

The fact is that in terms of tourism, the area as a whole lacks in a large way...not just Cohocton. So tourist 1 could say to tourist 2, let's not try to make a vacation out of the barren hills. If you're honest with yourself, that's really what we are with the exception of a couple of State Parks and a few antique stores...

Wayland,NY

#15 Jun 14, 2007
Cohocton is not a tourist town in anyones book. And windmills aren't likely to change that. And frankly the town is not a place I would hang out. Its a nice place to drive through quickly....Even the festival is getting warn out. Its like a local fair, sure its a lot of fun...the first time or two that you go. After that, whats the point, same faces, same games, same stuff for sell. It gets mundain. And that one or two houses that have been taken care of are not enough to say that the town is cute or well cared for. Its like no one in the town has enough pride in themselves or their property to bother to mow a lawn or put a coat of paint on a building.
no longer confused

Rochester, NY

#17 Sep 26, 2007
Have any of you dreamers that have fallen for the wind propaganda ever studied the numbers? According to the US Dept. of energy, wind currently produces only 1/10th of 1% of all the electricity produced in the nation. After 23 years from now and billions of our tax dollars later, the same US Energy Dept. projects that wind will still be below 1%.

Now, given this fact, can you say government supported rip-off! Who do you think gets all this tax money? How many times do Americans have to get scammed before they learn?

Foreign Corporations have bought our politicians for favorable laws to promote this scandal. All this is verifiable if you will look.
Concerned

Rochester, NY

#18 Sep 28, 2007
What do you mean 1/10th of 1%, where is this info. found?
no longer confused

Rochester, NY

#19 Sep 30, 2007
The interesting thing about math is that it is not politically oriented. 2+2 is always 4. If you go to the US Dept. of energy website, ignore all the pomp about how good wind is and dig into the actual numbers of actual production and projections, you will see that this wind issue is empty of its claim to help produce any significant energy and you will realize, you have been conned.

The truth is that the billions of dollars that are going out of this country to the foreign corporations who are part of this wind scam, would be better spent on developing ways to burn coal cleaner, build more hydro plants, and research how to make solar more efficient.

The reason they are not doing this on a higher level is because they have not found a way to get rich while trying to really solve our problems. Instead, they have found a way to scam us and get rich, which is their real goal... massing huge fortunes.

This will all come out as it is soon. Can you say ENRON?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steuben County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Schenectady man needs votes in DreamJob Norway ... Apr '15 kimmerbeth 1
News McEathron Indicted for Kidnapping (Feb '08) Jan '15 concerned citizen 158
News Four Wayland men arrested for thefts in Sparta (Jan '12) Sep '14 Dansville working... 12
News Livingston County man charged with identity the... (Sep '14) Sep '14 millie 1
News Rochester man given maximum sentence after shoo... (Mar '14) Mar '14 SafeAct 1
News Police investigate double homicide in Bath (Jun '10) Jul '13 AL BZLY 9
what's going on in bath, ny???? (May '13) May '13 yvonne 2
More from around the web