Teen Driver Involved in Accident was Drunk Behind The Wheel

Oct 6, 2007 Full story: WIVB-TV Buffalo 17

Investigators say 17-year-old David Cady of Jasper had a blood alcohol content of 0.13 which is well above the legal limit. via WIVB-TV Buffalo

Full Story
mei

Rochester, NY

#1 Oct 10, 2007
I understand that apparently alcohol was involved in this incident, but as like any other story with such and ending, why do they feel the need to make that the most important aspect of the story. the only people that need to be concerned with that information in my own opinion are the families of the victims. Not the rest of the world. Had alcohol not been a factor this accident could have very easily happened.
mch_14823

United States

#2 Oct 11, 2007
Can't you see it IS the most important aspect of this story. Underage drinking is a big problem in this area. The parents need to put a stop to allowing it! If alcohol hadn't been a part of this, 4 teens would not have been on the highway at 3AM!
mei

Rochester, NY

#3 Oct 15, 2007
thats not necessarily true. I was a teen once and I would be out that late not drinking.

Since: Nov 07

Troupsburg, New York

#4 Nov 9, 2007
mch_14823 wrote:
Can't you see it IS the most important aspect of this story. Underage drinking is a big problem in this area. The parents need to put a stop to allowing it! If alcohol hadn't been a part of this, 4 teens would not have been on the highway at 3AM!
You cant sit there and say that. teenagers will rebel alot in their teen life. The alcohol was just a part of their celebrating homecoming. Alot of the teens do it. Parents could lock us in our rooms and we would just climb out the window. Its part of a teens life to disobey what their parents tell them. Its done and there is nothing we could do about it. These were my friend and it really makes me upset to read these terrible comments. I am from jasper Troupsburg and i attend the J-T High school so i understand how hard this is. So please stop with the hateful finger pointing comments and leave us alone.
miggie

United States

#5 Nov 11, 2007
I agree partly with 'a friend always' teenagers now days seem to have much more of a rebelion stage than some of us did growing up. Life is just as tough for them as it is some of the parents that are at least trying to raising them. Sooo many of the hateful finger pointers were more times than not just as bad when they were teenagers except they never had any tragedies happen. I think alot of parents forget they were young at one time. I do not condone underage drinking in any way, but I do realize that my kids live in a completely different world than I did growing up. Maybe if more adults would address their drinking problems or partying issues as a society we could help educate our youth before they fall into the same path. Those four kids paid the biggest price for their mistakes and now we just need to leave their families alone and stop with the hateful finger pointing. Where any of us ever at the very least taught respect?
Way Across the country

San Jose, CA

#6 Nov 14, 2007
There was a comment made recently by one parent in our area ( we just lost a young woman of 19 in a car crash in which her BF was driving and survived but she passed away, they came from an all night party and she had a .24 alcohol level at 10AM) anyway, back to the comment, we should have the legal age of drinking at 16 like Germany, and the legal age to drive at 21, then we will have drunk kids walking around town vs driving around town...I come from another country as well where drinking is ok as long as you can pay for the alcohol, we had to have our parents come get us when we were plastered bec we didn't drive.. by the time I was about 17 I was over the whole drinking phase there was no excitement.

Just a thought...

May the families find peace!!!!!
Brewer

Columbus, OH

#7 May 9, 2008
I don't see y u guys can be so stupid that 4 teens gone missing is funny the 17 year old David Cady was my brother
Brewer

Columbus, OH

#8 May 9, 2008
How can u be so stupid. 4 teens getting killed in a car wreck can be so funny. DAvid CAdy the 17 year old was my brother and y do u say that just there familys should worry about it. i mean common grow up people. 247 people help look for these kids.
Brewer

Columbus, OH

#9 May 9, 2008
How can u be so stupid. 4 teens getting killed in a car wreck can be so funny. DAvid CAdy the 17 year old was my brother and y do u say that just there familys should worry about it. i mean common grow up people. 247 people help look for these kids.
mei wrote:
I understand that apparently alcohol was involved in this incident, but as like any other story with such and ending, why do they feel the need to make that the most important aspect of the story. the only people that need to be concerned with that information in my own opinion are the families of the victims. Not the rest of the world. Had alcohol not been a factor this accident could have very easily happened.
mei

Rochester, NY

#10 May 12, 2008
Brewer, I wasnt implying that your family should have been the only ones worried that they were missing, but they should be the only ones concerned about whether or not alcohol was a factor in the accident. The accident happened but in my opinion it doesnt matter what the cause. Its tragic no matter how you look at it. Any for the record I am not stupid nor do I think this is funny.
Kay

Stoystown, PA

#11 May 17, 2008
Teens are going to do what they want, sooner or later. Rather that time in when they are in middle school, high school, or college, they are going to realize that they like taking risks, they like having fun. That sad truth is around this area what else is there to do to celebrate? Nothing really. The fact is These four, my friends, made a poor decision. This wasn't the 1st time im sure. If you want to sit here and point fingers point them upon yourself. If everyone would realize, drunk driving is NOT okay, and would contribute to keeping drunk people off the roads we wouldn't have to go through this. The fact is, teens, people are going to drink, What you should focus your energy on is making sure they are in a safe place, and that they don't drive off. This accident truely changed my life, i miss my friends, but this has made it so i would never step foot in a car with someone who was drinking or drive after drinking myself.
mei

Rochester, NY

#12 May 20, 2008
I myself am not pointing fingers. I also do not agree with drunk driving. I do agree with Kay that there really isnt alot of options of things to do for kids these days. I was always taught that if I drank I either had to have a DD or I had to stay where I was or call for a ride. I dont think its ok to drive drunk at all. But how Kay would you suggest keeping drunk people off the roads? Its never going to happen. As nice as it would be to see, you and I both know it will never happen
I am sorry for these families loss and Kay I am sorry you lost your friends.
Kay

Johnstown, PA

#13 Jul 1, 2008
Mei, i respect what you are saying. And really the only suggestions i have are for people to learn that its not okay to drive drunk period. & yes, i know the likelihood of that isn't very high. I know that since the accident it has changed a lot of peoples..."regularity " to drink and drive. I know a lot of people that don't do it anymore. I also went to a grad party here a few weeks ago & there was alcohol & there was also a parent standing at the door. Checking on everyone and wouldn't let anyone leave unless they had a proper ride. I really respected that. & was pleased that someone stepped up & cared. I guess just little things like that can help, you never really know if it helped or not but if everyone from that party is alive the next day, i'de consider that an accomplishment.
mei

Rochester, NY

#14 Jul 9, 2008
i agree with you Kay 100%. I have heard of many grad parties over the yrs with those rules. Most of the parents hosting the parties took the keys. If you could even save 1 or 2 lives at a time that would be worth something.
Mykalinn

Rochester, NY

#15 Sep 18, 2008
mch_14823 wrote:
Okay, I am not trying to come off as rude but if I do I am sorry. Well actually I am not. I personally knew all of these teens that passed away. However, it was almost a year ago that the accident occued but I just stumbled across this page. David the driver was actually in my opinion one of my good friends I knew him before I even started school. I am sick of people blaming everyone else, and blaming the parents. I am sorry to say its easy to lie and say your staying with a friend, and really be out getting trashed.. Hell when you live in a small town like these teens everyone is so tight nit that teens cover for other teens with no questions asked. I dont think the parents should be the ones in question about what they are going. I personally knwo the parents of these teens. And guess what they are all good parents, and they are hurting, and they blame themselves enough even though its not there fault; they DONT need an extra finger pointing at them. In all honestly I am 18, and I act more mature in my simple words here than you did in your entire statement. I will be honest, it was no ones fault but there own. No one forced them into the car, no one made them drink, no one made them drive away, as the driver or the passenger. I am sorry to say all these teens knew what they were doing they just did nto realize the result was not going to be good. However, they are young and thought nothing bad could happen, and that wasnt the case. So quit blaming the parents. Don't blame anyone, because honestly they paid with there life, dont ruin someone elses with guilt.
EBF

United States

#16 Nov 18, 2008
mei wrote:
Sad fact is that as soon as you drink then put the key in the ignition and pull out, that makes it the most important aspect of any story. That's when you put my life in danger, my kids lives in danger, my friends lives, etc. That's when it's the most important aspect.
Barely knew him

Buffalo, NY

#17 Sep 30, 2010
David, the driver is my cousin. I barely knew him from previous family issuses but that doesnt mean it didnt hurt to find out what happened. I live relatively far away and mostly relied on news to tell me what was going on. It was devestating to learn he was dead. It is so easy for people to read news articles and be filled with hate. But the point is, you didnt know david. (except the few of you who did [brewer, mykallin]) Stop attacking people you dont know. I have gone out with my boyfriend or friends to the drive in or to a party and driven home at 3 or even 4 in the morning. That doesnt mean i was drunk or that i should not have been driving. Im 18 and i can make my own decisions. Stop critisizing people who are not in your family. If people could focus themselves internally, on their own family, instead of finding problems in the world then this world would be a much better place.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steuben County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Four Wayland men arrested for thefts in Sparta (Jan '12) Sep '14 Dansville working... 12
Livingston County man charged with identity the... Sep '14 millie 1
Rochester man given maximum sentence after shoo... (Mar '14) Mar '14 SafeAct 1
Police investigate double homicide in Bath (Jun '10) Jul '13 AL BZLY 9
McEathron Indicted for Kidnapping (Feb '08) Jul '13 2013xyz 157
what's going on in bath, ny???? (May '13) May '13 yvonne 2
911 dispatcher faces discipline after toddler t... (Sep '11) Apr '13 common sense 8

Steuben County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE