Rules are rules, judges say in reduci...

Rules are rules, judges say in reducing absentee votes

There are 35 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 13, 2009, titled Rules are rules, judges say in reducing absentee votes. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

This text is replaced by the Flash movie. No wiggle room. Sent your ballot in time but it got stuck in the mail? Tough.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Paul M

Frankfurt An Der Oder, Germany

#1 Feb 13, 2009
Good for them. If you were stupid enough to not sign in the proper spot then your vote should not count. Your wittness didn't sign in the right place. It's your fault. You sent your ballot in on election day and it did not arrive until after the prescribed date. Tough! It is about time that all of the malarkey is cut through. Get on with it and declare a winner. I don't care who. Just do it.
Too much government

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Feb 14, 2009
When will the pioneer press realize we've heard and read enough about the two morons running for the senate, if brains were dynamite, neither one of them would have enough
to blow their nose.
Mohamed

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Feb 14, 2009
Coleman my dream. My hope he serve another 6 - 26 years. He very good man. He love me. And, I love him also.
Alright Already

Albany, OR

#4 Feb 14, 2009
Finally, someone is using common sense in this whole election mess! Maybe the next time the elections roll around, people will take time to cast their absentee ballots. I am so glad the judge put the onus back where it belongs, squarely on the voters' shoulders. Now if we can just declare a valid winner, I think we would all be a whole lot happer.
sgt snorkle

United States

#5 Feb 14, 2009
Frankenstein will win. The FIX is in. just give it some more time and some more bribes. Minn. is a laughing stock and a liberal welfare state, not worse than Mich., but running a close second.
Mohomad

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Feb 14, 2009
sgt snorkle wrote:
Frankenstein will win. The FIX is in. just give it some more time and some more bribes. Minn. is a laughing stock and a liberal welfare state, not worse than Mich., but running a close second.
In Detroit you would just throw the votes in the river. We actually count them here numbskull! Franken is our best hope. We need Franken for 5,10,30 years. LOL!
The Rad Rethuglican

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Feb 14, 2009
Attention to anyone considering contributing more money to Norm Coleman's recount legal fund: Forget it; Consider what else constructive could be done with the same money. This could include just about anything.

The latest ruling has dealt a fatal death blow to whatever slim theoretical chances of victory or even a stalemate remained for Former Senator Coleman.

A bit of doggerel seems apropos:

All the King's horses and all the King's men
Haven't a chance of a Senator Coleman again
All the Ben Ginsbergs, Friedbergs and Knaaks,
Can't rescue old Norman from his loss on the rocks

The sun's going down, settling into the west
And Norm's ship is sinking, he's up past his chest
Despite all the lies and hatred and crud
Norm's tossing of mud has resulted in a dud

So don't feel sad or nostalgic for the Norm
He'll be grating again somewhere soon
Because he'll remain true to form.

“One word says it all..........”

Since: Sep 08

Flathill

#8 Feb 14, 2009
The Rad Rethuglican wrote:
Attention to anyone considering contributing more money to Norm Coleman's recount legal fund: Forget it; Consider what else constructive could be done with the same money. This could include just about anything.
The latest ruling has dealt a fatal death blow to whatever slim theoretical chances of victory or even a stalemate remained for Former Senator Coleman.
A bit of doggerel seems apropos:
All the King's horses and all the King's men
Haven't a chance of a Senator Coleman again
All the Ben Ginsbergs, Friedbergs and Knaaks,
Can't rescue old Norman from his loss on the rocks
The sun's going down, settling into the west
And Norm's ship is sinking, he's up past his chest
Despite all the lies and hatred and crud
Norm's tossing of mud has resulted in a dud
So don't feel sad or nostalgic for the Norm
He'll be grating again somewhere soon
Because he'll remain true to form.
Another progressive sermon on the mount preaching to working people about how they should spend their money. That's why they voted for O and Franken. You get to earn it, and they get to spend it. So long, future.
WiseGuy

San Jose, CA

#9 Feb 14, 2009
Alright Already wrote:
Finally, someone is using common sense in this whole election mess! Maybe the next time the elections roll around, people will take time to cast their absentee ballots. I am so glad the judge put the onus back where it belongs, squarely on the voters' shoulders. Now if we can just declare a valid winner, I think we would all be a whole lot happer.
I don't think the Court's decision puts an "onus" anywhere. The Minnesota elections system works fine (nice to know). Voters have to comply with election laws (no surprise). "Equal protections" is a red herring (hullo, Rehnquist).
One might conclude that a few hundred mistakes in a record turnout like this means Minnesota voters are NOT stupid, contrary to the neo-con rantings. This is nothing but a blatant stall by the Republicans. The only thing they're proving beyond a reasonable doubt is that they don't care at all whether Minnesota voters are represented or not and that they're stupid enough to drag their own ignominious defeat around the city walls until it rots to delay increasing the Democrat majority in the Senate.
The Rad Rethuglican

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Feb 14, 2009
WiseGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think the Court's decision puts an "onus" anywhere. The Minnesota elections system works fine (nice to know). Voters have to comply with election laws (no surprise). "Equal protections" is a red herring (hullo, Rehnquist).
One might conclude that a few hundred mistakes in a record turnout like this means Minnesota voters are NOT stupid, contrary to the neo-con rantings. This is nothing but a blatant stall by the Republicans. The only thing they're proving beyond a reasonable doubt is that they don't care at all whether Minnesota voters are represented or not and that they're stupid enough to drag their own ignominious defeat around the city walls until it rots to delay increasing the Democrat majority in the Senate.
Holy Moley Bullwinkle, you actually "get it!" Prepare to be viciously attacked, as you can guess how these Cro-Magnon creatures react to being told the truth, based on reality.
The Rad Rethuglican

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Feb 14, 2009
Quoth the Raven wrote:
<quoted text>
Another progressive sermon on the mount preaching to working people about how they should spend their money. That's why they voted for O and Franken. You get to earn it, and they get to spend it. So long, future.
That was pretty good. Kinda funny. "So long, future!"

Things were going along SO great after eight years of Bush/Cheney, especially that massive permanent multiplication of wealth right there near the end. Plus, that Iraq thing, what a wonderful idea from start to finish ... oh, that's right, there wasn't any finish to that Iraq thing. Afghanistan? We've got to go back and do it again? Gosh, the previous 8 years were so great, it's going to hard to equal that in the future. And that IS the truth!
Jesse Ventura

Houston, TX

#12 Feb 14, 2009
The Homosexual Rethuglican wrote:
<quoted text>
Holy Moley Bullwinkle, you actually "get it!" Prepare to be viciously attacked, as you can guess how these Cro-Magnon creatures react to being told the truth, based on reality.
If brains were dynamite, you couldn't blow your nose.
stinamond5

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Feb 14, 2009
Quoth the Raven wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose you blame O and Sen. elect Franken for your dwindling 401K too!

“Wher's dem turkey necks?”

Since: Dec 08

Palm Desert, CA

#14 Feb 14, 2009
What Coleman's court case proves is that there is nothing wrong with Minnesota's election system. The court has reinforced that. I am sure every election there are absentee ballot problems. People make mistakes or are careless, but it has never been a problem for elections until this type of situation develops. When you think about how many votes were cast it amounts to about 1/3rd of 1% of the total. A miniscule amount of errors for nearly 3,000,000
voters.
I guaranty you that if it was the other way around you wouldn't hear a peep about "fixed elections" from Coleman supporters. They don't know what they are talking about.

“Live Life with GUSTO!!!”

Since: Jun 08

St. Paul, MN

#15 Feb 14, 2009
Da Crusher_RIP wrote:
What Coleman's court case proves is that there is nothing wrong with Minnesota's election system. The court has reinforced that. I am sure every election there are absentee ballot problems. People make mistakes or are careless, but it has never been a problem for elections until this type of situation develops. When you think about how many votes were cast it amounts to about 1/3rd of 1% of the total. A miniscule amount of errors for nearly 3,000,000
voters. I guaranty you that if it was the other way around you wouldn't hear a peep about "fixed elections" from Coleman supporters. They don't know what they are talking about.
Crusher:
On top of what you commented, I am glad the court decided the ultimate deciding factor of a vote or voting is the voter. Just because you get the absentee ballot and voting instructions doesn't mean you are 'registered' or eligible to vote. In a critical and scrutinized election, like we just had, making sure ahead of time you are eligible or registered

Crusher:
On top of what you commented, I am glad the court decided the ultimate deciding factor of a vote or voting is the voter. Just because you get the absentee ballot and voting instructions doesn't mean you are 'registered' or eligible to vote.

In a critical and scrutinized election, like we just had, making sure ahead of time you are eligible or registered is paramount to making your vote count. Making sure your ballot is properly filled out and free from extraneous markings or added comments is also your responsibility. If you didn't do your voting properly, you are the blame and not the system or the candidate.

The precious privilege to exercise one's voting power in this country boils down to the citizen being aware of his/hers Constitutional rights to vote properly and defend those sacred guaranteed rights. Ignorance of one's rights only squanders what the Constitution provides for us all.

The MN court decision, though belated, reinforces the Constitutional guarantees and privileges that the 'voters' shoulder their responsibilities to make the system flourish and function. This court decision also goes beyond the inane politics of Minnesota. If only the MN politicians could see the beauty of what the court said and what you also commented about it.

Crusher, though it's not always perfect, don't you love this system of self-determination and power given to us by the Constitution? If only other countries could take note; there would be less political insurections or wars.
gtV

St. Paul, MN

#16 Feb 14, 2009
Crusher:
Sorry the typos in my comments.
gtV

St. Paul, MN

#17 Feb 14, 2009
Da Crusher_RIP wrote:
voters. I guaranty you that if it was the other way around you wouldn't hear a peep about "fixed elections" from Coleman supporters. They don't know what they are talking about.

Crusher:
On top of what you commented, I am glad the court decided the ultimate deciding factor of a vote or voting is the voter. Just because you get the absentee ballot and voting instructions doesn't mean you are 'registered' or eligible to vote.

In a critical and scrutinized election, like we just had, making sure ahead of time you are eligible or registered is paramount to making your vote count. Making sure your ballot is properly filled out and free from extraneous markings or added comments is also your responsibility. If you didn't do your voting properly, you are the blame and not the system or the candidate.

The precious privilege to exercise one's voting power in this country boils down to the citizen being aware of his/hers Constitutional rights to vote properly and defend those sacred guaranteed rights. Ignorance of one's rights only squanders what the Constitution provides for us all.

The MN court decision, though belated, reinforces the Constitutional guarantees and privileges that the 'voters' shoulder their responsibilities to make the system flourish and function. This court decision also goes beyond the inane politics of Minnesota. If only the MN politicians could see the beauty of what the court said and what you also commented about it.

Crusher, though it's not always perfect, don't you love this system of self-determination and power given to us by the Constitution? If only other countries could take note; there would be less political insurrections or wars.
gtV

“Wher's dem turkey necks?”

Since: Dec 08

Palm Desert, CA

#18 Feb 14, 2009
gtVoyageur wrote:
Da Crusher_RIP wrote:
Crusher:
Crusher, though it's not always perfect, don't you love this system of self-determination and power given to us by the Constitution? If only other countries could take note; there would be less political insurrections or wars.
gtV
In a debate most if not all extreme viewpoints either left or right are based on personal supposition with no facts to back them up, to wit the basis is a flawed theory which can be disproved by a finding of true fact, although their blindness cannot except the reality of their incorrect thinking.
On dat note, Professor Da Crusher takes a leave from his podium.
Da
GDP

Plymouth, MN

#19 Feb 14, 2009
"Persuading the court to open and count rejected absentee ballots is a key facet of Coleman's argument that Democrat Al Franken's 225-vote lead is wrong. In addition to the rejected absentee ballots, which Coleman says were held to different standards by elections officials in different counties, his case also relies on his contention that ballots were double-counted during the recount"

Pioneer Press - why don't you explain why they are taking approach???? If rejected absentee ballots with the same data attributes were NOT treated in same manner across precints, the voters rights have been violated under the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment. Similarly, if the some votes were double counted, they need to argue the same rule applies. The inconsistent election judge decision is key and the courts decision to exclude and/or rule against this if substantiated is grounds for appeal.

St. Paul, MN

#20 Feb 14, 2009
Da Crusher_RIP wrote:
<quoted text>
In a debate most if not all extreme viewpoints either left or right are based on personal supposition with no facts to back them up, to wit the basis is a flawed theory which can be disproved by a finding of true fact, although their blindness cannot except the reality of their incorrect thinking.
On dat note, Professor Da Crusher takes a leave from his podium.
Da
Crusher;
Are you a jurist, political science, or philosophy prof.? More folks should read your profound comments. Glad to know I am discussing issues with a modern day Oliver Wendell Holmes.
gtV

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stearns County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man Arrested In Deadly Home Invasion Near Madelia (Jan '17) Feb '17 The TRUMP of Trolls 3
At&t Background Check (Nov '16) Nov '16 Tom 2
News Missing Wisconsin Woman Last Seen in St. Cloud (Jun '16) Jun '16 fulltimesweety 1
News Stearns sheriff's sergeant faces new charges in... (Sep '10) Jul '15 Tommy 10
News Alligator causes scare, then a laugh, in Minnesota (Sep '14) Sep '14 Mitt s Airtight D... 1
News Boy injured after jumping out of car during chase (Jan '14) Jan '14 Lee 1
News Stearns County teen, mother arrested in scuffle... (Apr '11) Aug '13 E Proudfoot 39
More from around the web