Lawsuit targets St. John's Prep Schoo...

Lawsuit targets St. John's Prep School, abbey

There are 12 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Dec 9, 2009, titled Lawsuit targets St. John's Prep School, abbey. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A former St. John's Prep School student sued the school and St. John's Abbey on Tuesday, alleging fraud for allowing a monk to continue interacting with students after they received an allegation of sexual misconduct against the monk.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

OLd White Guy

United States

#2 Dec 9, 2009
I have heard that St John's is where the Catholics hide all of their perverted priests. It was also rummored that one of these guys might be connected to the Jacob Wetterling disappearance.
Jennifer B

Palo Alto, CA

#3 Dec 9, 2009
I don't know how they can hide these creeps and cover up for what they did. They should be in JAIL and not a "retirement retreat" where college students live. What I have read, the stories are horrible! Everyone who knew about what was happening and did nothing to protect the children should be prosecuted and ashamed.
I know the handler

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Dec 9, 2009
OLd White Guy wrote:
I have heard that St John's is where the Catholics hide all of their perverted priests. It was also rummored that one of these guys might be connected to the Jacob Wetterling disappearance.
A day after Wetterling's disappearance, a tracking dog led his handler to the back gate of the abbey.
Get Real

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Dec 9, 2009
"A tracking dog led his handler to the back gate of the abbey." Yeah, too bad the abbey's "gate" is miles from the spot where Jacob disappeared. A good story, though. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. I went to St. John's -- and find the acts of these men despicable. Why St. John's allowed these monks to remain at the abbey (regardless of whether they still had contact wtih students) is inexplicable.
Jennifer B

Palo Alto, CA

#6 Dec 9, 2009
Get real, a few miles between the spots don't mean anything. someone could have driven with a car to where he was taken. There are many men at the Abbey who could have done this. I am sure they let them have cars.
Theresa

Rosemount, MN

#7 Dec 9, 2009
Isn't 16 the "age of consent" in Minnesota? A sixteen-year-old McCarthy was old enough to know what was goinig on, and certainly old enough to say no.
The monk was scum, but McCarthy's only motive here is money.
And, it was no surprise that some priests/monks/etc. were gay. Everyone in the church was aware of it. Of course, at the time, everyone said the the priest/monk/etc. was "that way." It was always the elephant in the room that no one wanted to talk about.
If McCarthy's life was changed, I doubt it was because of the incident with Wollmering. McCarthy sounds like he was a loser long before he came to St. John's.
Get on with your life, Jeramiah, and quit blaming your problems on others. Man up!
StJohns

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Dec 9, 2009
Nice comments. Have some respect for the Wetterling family.
Gods messenger

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Dec 9, 2009
Theresa wrote:
Isn't 16 the "age of consent" in Minnesota? A sixteen-year-old McCarthy was old enough to know what was goinig on, and certainly old enough to say no.
The monk was scum, but McCarthy's only motive here is money.
And, it was no surprise that some priests/monks/etc. were gay. Everyone in the church was aware of it. Of course, at the time, everyone said the the priest/monk/etc. was "that way." It was always the elephant in the room that no one wanted to talk about.
If McCarthy's life was changed, I doubt it was because of the incident with Wollmering. McCarthy sounds like he was a loser long before he came to St. John's.
Get on with your life, Jeramiah, and quit blaming your problems on others. Man up!
Teresa,

Shouldn't that be boy to man up?
Mike

Saint Cloud, MN

#11 Dec 9, 2009
So where was this guy and his lawyer for the past 40 years when this guy was alive he's accusing who could defend himself? Pretty easy to make accusations after someone is dead and they can't defend themselves. Maybe we should have a law that lawsuits are null and void if someone is dead and unable to defend themselves.
JJJ

Queen Creek, AZ

#12 Dec 9, 2009
I know the handler wrote:
<quoted text>
A day after Wetterling's disappearance, a tracking dog led his handler to the back gate of the abbey.
Dont lie
Aubrey Immelman

Sartell, MN

#13 Dec 10, 2009
JJJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Dont lie
The poster was thinking of Joshua Guimond, who vanished on the St. John's University campus on the night of Nov. 9-10, 2002, while walking back to his dorm room after a card game at a friend's apartment in a different residence hall on campus. More information at the links below:

http://tinyurl.com/Josh-Guimond-Info

http://www.immelman.us/news/missing-person-jo...

http://www.immelman.us/news/guimond-justice-f...

http://www.immelman.us/news/jacob-wetterling-...
Tom

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Dec 10, 2009
Theresa-Hastings
Age of consent does not apply when the offender is an authority figure like a teacher, policeman, or a priest.
What makes you ASSume that Mr. McCarthy gave consent? Forced is forced, no matter what age.
You obviously do not understand the effects of sexual abuse, to call Mr. McCarthy a loser, or say that this event did not change his life.
Blame the victim, is a sick response to this horrible event.
St. Johns has not been cooperating with authorities, as innocent parties usually do. In fact they have sought the refuge of attorneys and the courts, to be able to say as little as possible and hide what they knew. That does not reflect the attitude that a religious educational organization should reflect, to safeguard all their students from harm of any kind.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stearns County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stearns sheriff's sergeant faces new charges in... (Sep '10) Jul '15 Tommy 10
News Alligator causes scare, then a laugh, in Minnesota (Sep '14) Sep '14 Mitt s Airtight D... 1
News Boy injured after jumping out of car during chase (Jan '14) Jan '14 Lee 1
News Stearns County teen, mother arrested in scuffle... (Apr '11) Aug '13 E Proudfoot 39
News Man Arrested For Stabbing, Assaulting Girlfrien... (Mar '13) Mar '13 DonkeyEstonkey 6
News Cold Spring man files for Stearns board (Jun '12) Jun '12 Martin 1
News Rocori student brings knife to middle school (Apr '11) Apr '11 No spin zone 2
More from around the web