Vigil held for shot police chief

Vigil held for shot police chief

There are 7 comments on the NewsCenter 25 story from Apr 18, 2008, titled Vigil held for shot police chief. In it, NewsCenter 25 reports that:

About 100 people have held a candlelight vigil for wounded Capac police Chief Raymond Hawks. via NewsCenter 25

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsCenter 25.

Sgt Sampson

Ansonia, CT

#1 Apr 18, 2008
The men and women of the Waterbury Police Department will keep the Chief in our prayers tonight.

Sgt. C Sampson
Waterbury, CT

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#2 Apr 18, 2008
So nice to see how many other police departments around our state and country care.
There was such a big response from neighboring communities when this unfolded Wednesday, was nice to see all the help for our community.
Thanks, Police Men and Women for what you do everyday for us.
Thank you

Capac, MI

#3 Apr 18, 2008
Sgt Sampson wrote:
The men and women of the Waterbury Police Department will keep the Chief in our prayers tonight.
Sgt. C Sampson
Waterbury, CT
Thank you so much for letting everyone know you guys are thinking about the Chief from so far away. Sometimes it seems like we are just a small town in the middle of nowhere that nobody pays much attention to. It's nice to know that even though we are way out here, people take notice and care about what happens to good people. We're all praying for him and for the safety of all who serve.
JingleBerry

Middleville, MI

#4 Apr 20, 2008
Back up folks. Way back.

Some of you know something of what you are talking about. Others do not.

Let me explain something to you. There are merits to both sides of this story.

First of all, Mr. Burke decided it was OK to shoot our Police Chief and a Sheriff's Deputy for no real reason. He also took shots at a tow truck driver. All of whom tried their humanly best possible to remove Ray from the scene before he was shot again.

Trust me... the MTFD was willing and able to respond to the medical emergency. However, as a matter of policy, when a scene is not secure, Tri-Hospital and the FD will stage in the area until cleared by a police agency.

Had Tri-Hospital or MTFD responded directly to William G., someone else could have been shot trying to assist Chief Hawks and Deputy O'Boyle.

What would that have served? Nothing. Additional personnel injured in the line of duty.

Instead, and quite correctly, St. Clair County Central Dispatch chose to stage Tri-Hospital in the area. I am not certain, but they may have toned MTFD to stage at their hall, considering their proximity to the location. Wise decision.

Everyone staged on Mill Street. 20+ police vehicles from communities as far away as Dryden, Almont, Memphis, Armada, Imlay City, Marysville, and Port Huron. There was no shortage of police officers willing to respond to the emergency.

In light of having so many emergency vehicles on Mill Street, had there been a structure fire, or a PI accident, or some other type of run, MTFD would have been toned out to respond. And they would have, as always. As we have all come to expect. But PLEASE try to understand... how do you get all the fire apparatus out of the station and enroute to the scene through a gaggle of 20+ other emergency vehicles? You don't. The request was legitimate. You deal with it.

At this point, let's see if we can all agree on these points:

1. Everyone involved did everything they could to assist Chief Hawks and Deputy O'Boyle.

2. Pray for Ray's recovery. He's not out of the woods yet, and he deserves better than this. God spared Ray. God will direct the doctors' hands, and he will recover. However, he will likely have to retire.

3. God kept Deputy O'Boyle in the hollow of His hand, and protected him from a fatal head shot. He lives to serve our communities another day. Thank you God for your providence and watchcare over fools, police officers, and firefighters.

People, put your differences aside for the meantime. Stop the bickering. Pray for Ray. Pray for Deputy O'Boyle. Pray for Prosecutor Wendling. Hopefully, Burke gets the maximum sentence allowable under law.

Thankfully, I was not in the neighborhood at the time. I would probably be being prosecuted for assisting Mr. Burke in meeting his Maker.

Anyone that disagrees with me, so be it. You can kiss my a** on the Courthouse steps, and I'll give you 15 minutes to call a crowd.

I have served you in the past. I understand what police officers and firefighters and EMS personnel go through. You may not. I have been there. I miss it, but I will never go back. It (they) is (are) the most unappreciated job(s) in our country. And that is deplorable.

E'nuff said.

JingleBerry
dogwood

United States

#5 Apr 20, 2008
WOW!!! I do not know who you are (jingleBerry) but not do I totally agree with you I ADMIRE YOUR THINKING GOD SPEED 2U
JingleBerry

Middleville, MI

#6 Apr 20, 2008
No, Dogwood, you probably DO know me, but don't realize it. But no problem. Godspeed, Ray. We're praying for you, and your rapid recovery.

JingleBerry
SFB

United States

#7 Apr 23, 2008
JingleBerry wrote:
No, Dogwood, you probably DO know me, but don't realize it.
Still living in Emmett?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St Clair County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News AT&T closing Port Huron call center (Nov '15) Nov '15 Mama From Tennessee 1
News Old fashioned tractor showOld fashioned tractor... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Stan 1
News Pharmacy thieves arrested after car chase with ... (Mar '15) Mar '15 school board 1
News Officials make a case for lakeside nuke dump (Feb '14) Nov '14 Concerned 2
News Mike Connell: 'What we've got here is failure t... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Dorothea Knight 1
News Go back to basics, Capac schools (Mar '14) Mar '14 Michael Mikolajczak 1
News Local officials to get update on Ontario nuke dump (Feb '14) Feb '14 Fukushima update 1
More from around the web