Capac Community Schools begin releasi...

Capac Community Schools begin releasing students

There are 12 comments on the Times Herald story from Apr 20, 2008, titled Capac Community Schools begin releasing students. In it, Times Herald reports that:

“My staff has done an outstanding job maintaining the safety of our students. The kids have done very well. The staff has done very well and I'm proud of them.”

Capac Community Schools are releasing students one bus at a time, said Superintendent Jerry Jennex. via Times Herald

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Times Herald.

just watching

Capac, MI

#1 Apr 21, 2008
Hey Jerry,

I hope there isn't a next time but, can you please not leave kids in a bus out in the open like that? They were at the schools right? Just take them inside one bus at a time.

Just some friendly advise.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#2 Apr 21, 2008
think the schools did the pretty well, under the circumstances. would of liked it if the Middle school kids would have been in the bus garage with the doors closed. From what I hear there was one door partially opened, and a couple all the way open.Some of the kids saying they were watching the whole thing. It all happened at the worst possible time, being at the end of the day.
I do want to applaud Mr. Drake at the Middle School, from what I understand he got the kids onto buses as quickly as possible. He is a great principal at the Middle School. All in all, I just thank the lord that all the kids were OK. Although shaken. I am sure that the School and School Board will be talking about this in the future, and decide any actions that could have been handled differently. Let's just all hope this is a one time thing in Capac. I am glad they called school the next day, just felt better about having my kids at home with me.
just watching

Capac, MI

#3 Apr 21, 2008
no arguments here and quite frankly there are a great many things in your post I agree with.

Just had the concern.
The schools

Capac, MI

#4 Apr 21, 2008
I agree with both just watching and capacMOMof2. The schools did a great job, but I would have liked the students on the buses to have been somewhere other than the bus garage area. It was hard finding out where the kids that were on the buses were taken to. One school was telling me the kids had been taken inside the elementary school and the other school was telling me they were inside the bus garage. Eventually, I found them waiting at the normal bus stop.

All in all, I think the schools did an excellent job, but there were a few things that could have gone better but I'm sure that will be addresses at their meetings. I also wanted to comment on how calm everyone seemed to be at the schools. My youngest son at the elementary actually had a good time and thought it was a planned special event because everyone acted so calmly instead of getting all panicked.
concerned parent

United States

#5 Apr 22, 2008
I am still confused as to why the middle school students were dismissed at all. If this happened at 2:15, and 911 was called immediately, why were the schools not notified immediately? 20 minutes later my son walked home from the middle school, just a few minutes after we heard all of the sirens. This could have been a dangerous situation for the kids who did not get rerouted to the bus garage, but who were walking home in the middle of all of this.
Could have been

Nashville, MI

#6 Apr 23, 2008
Lots of dangerous things could have happened but didnt. I am sure the administration feels the same way you do and probably have already asked the people you ask why they werent notified earlier. Fortunately this is a rare tragedy, unfortunately now there will have to be some policy set further scaring our children ( tornado drills are scary enough) but necessary. Seriously I couldnt believe the people that were surrounding the area just gawking...I was in my house with the doors all locked.
Yeah

United States

#7 Apr 23, 2008
As I was rushing my kids to stay with family far away from Capac while the shooter was on foot and expected to still be in the area, I saw kids playing outside by themselves.
unanswered questions

Marlette, MI

#8 Apr 23, 2008
I don't think that it's very right of the Capac schools to leave doors open or let the children walk home from school. If that was my son or daughter, I wouldn't like it that the school didn't take the initiative or responsibility to take the action to protect them from the shooter. I send kids to school hoping that if something like that happened that they would be protected but I guess everyone lets you down sometime or another.
Pray

Nashville, MI

#9 Apr 23, 2008
They didnt "knowingly" release those children who were walkers. The Middle School gets released 15 minutes before the elementary and the high school. Was there a breakdown in letting the schools know? Yes of course but that will be addressed I am sure. I say this respectfully, rather than being concerned about things that could have happened but didnt....lend a knee and pray for Chief Hawks.
NorthOfTown

Sterling Heights, MI

#10 Apr 23, 2008
Unless you practice this scenario over and over, there will be human error type mistakes made. Even with the training the police have for this type of situation, when it happens for real, things won't go perfectly.

Unless they did something intentionally to put someones children in harms way, I am sure they did everything they could and they deserve our thanks for putting their lives on the line.

The guy who caused all this in is thankfully in custody. Everyone else was reacting to what he did. No one else caused it but him.
Students

Capac, MI

#11 Apr 23, 2008
The schools were not informed about the shooting right away. They did not know until after the middle school students had already been released.
mom

Venice, FL

#12 Apr 23, 2008
Heard from many middle school students that Mr. Drake was a big help in trying to get kids back into the school or the buses. The information got to the middle school at the worst possible time, when they were releasing kids for the day.
Many kids said how great Mr.Drake was for getting them onto buses.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St Clair County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News AT&T closing Port Huron call center (Nov '15) Nov '15 Mama From Tennessee 1
News Old fashioned tractor showOld fashioned tractor... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Stan 1
News Pharmacy thieves arrested after car chase with ... (Mar '15) Mar '15 school board 1
News Officials make a case for lakeside nuke dump (Feb '14) Nov '14 Concerned 2
News Mike Connell: 'What we've got here is failure t... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Dorothea Knight 1
News Go back to basics, Capac schools (Mar '14) Mar '14 Michael Mikolajczak 1
News Local officials to get update on Ontario nuke dump (Feb '14) Feb '14 Fukushima update 1
More from around the web