Tradition ends: No Michigan state fai...

Tradition ends: No Michigan state fair this year | The Columbus Dis...

There are 38 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Sep 1, 2010, titled Tradition ends: No Michigan state fair this year | The Columbus Dis.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Rabbit breeder Rob Usakowski typically spends the week before Labor Day helping his daughters show their Jersey Woolies and Holland Lops at the Michigan State Fair.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
reality check

Columbus, OH

#1 Sep 1, 2010
But don't forget -- the state doesn't need any more tax money than it's currently collecting. The government doesn't do anything that people need or want. And if only all of our taxes were lower, everything would be fine. I'm sure citizens would band together and donate a few bucks each -- all million of them -- to put the fair together again if the state's tax receipts don't improve for next year.

The Republican dream -- less government, no state fairs. Sign up today.
abc

Dublin, OH

#2 Sep 1, 2010
Now where is Rich Rodriguez going to work at the end of this season?
Dems train to nowhere

Westerville, OH

#3 Sep 1, 2010
Michigan is far worse than Ohio. Years of democratic control with some of the highest taxes around with the unions running crazy.
This state needs to get with the program to downsize government, stop the giveaways and don't let unions dictate how the state is run.
Reader

Columbus, OH

#4 Sep 1, 2010
reality check wrote:
But don't forget -- the state doesn't need any more tax money than it's currently collecting. The government doesn't do anything that people need or want. And if only all of our taxes were lower, everything would be fine. I'm sure citizens would band together and donate a few bucks each -- all million of them -- to put the fair together again if the state's tax receipts don't improve for next year.
That's it in a nutshell.

Although the loss of the state fair is not going to be the toughest one to swallow. I worry about when we are no longer able to regulate and inspect food products (another function of government "bureaucracy"), respond to public health problems (like insect-born diseases), go to the library, zoo or public park, ride on public transportation, or any of the other functions of the government and government funding.
Rok

Columbus, OH

#5 Sep 1, 2010
Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
That's it in a nutshell.
Although the loss of the state fair is not going to be the toughest one to swallow. I worry about when we are no longer able to regulate and inspect food products (another function of government "bureaucracy"), respond to public health problems (like insect-born diseases), go to the library, zoo or public park, ride on public transportation, or any of the other functions of the government and government funding.
Don't forget, roads and highways are public transportation, too.
iceman21

Columbus, OH

#6 Sep 1, 2010
Dems train to nowhere wrote:
Michigan is far worse than Ohio. Years of democratic control with some of the highest taxes around with the unions running crazy.
This state needs to get with the program to downsize government, stop the giveaways and don't let unions dictate how the state is run.
It has nothing to do with Democratic control, its government control in general I don't care what party.
Darren

Columbus, OH

#7 Sep 1, 2010
Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
That's it in a nutshell.
Wow, I suppose you depend upon government to wipe your rear end too don't you?

Seriously, all you people who keep talking up about how we need government to do this or to do that need to wake up and smell the rot. The states that are having problems maintaining government functions are those that have been consistently controlled by the party of the worthlessness, the Democrats.

Republicans used to, as a general rule, understand that government should have a limited function in the daily lives of the citizens. The new republicans, the onse getting voted out, see it just like the Democrats who just love people like you who try to compare subsidizing a fair to public health issues. You've taken the bait hook line and sinker that government IS the source of society.

NEWSFLASH: Government does nothing but limit the individual and the success or failure of that individual.

The ONLY problem with shrinking government is that there would be a literal TON of people hitting the job market who have been so screwed up by the public system that the private sector would not know what to do with them.

Sure some might make it, but most would have NO IDEA how to be productive the way that those of us in the private sector have to be on a daily basis.

There's a reason why you see people go from private to public jobs, they can't or no longer want to hack it in the private world. I've NEVER seen a public worker go to the private sector and survive long.
reality check

Columbus, OH

#8 Sep 1, 2010
Darren wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, I suppose you depend upon government to wipe your rear end too don't you?
Seriously, all you people who keep talking up about how we need government to do this or to do that need to wake up and smell the rot. The states that are having problems maintaining government functions are those that have been consistently controlled by the party of the worthlessness, the Democrats.
Republicans used to, as a general rule, understand that government should have a limited function in the daily lives of the citizens. The new republicans, the onse getting voted out, see it just like the Democrats who just love people like you who try to compare subsidizing a fair to public health issues. You've taken the bait hook line and sinker that government IS the source of society.
NEWSFLASH: Government does nothing but limit the individual and the success or failure of that individual.
The ONLY problem with shrinking government is that there would be a literal TON of people hitting the job market who have been so screwed up by the public system that the private sector would not know what to do with them.
Sure some might make it, but most would have NO IDEA how to be productive the way that those of us in the private sector have to be on a daily basis.
There's a reason why you see people go from private to public jobs, they can't or no longer want to hack it in the private world. I've NEVER seen a public worker go to the private sector and survive long.
lol

Yup, so there you have it. Our man Darren here leads a pretty interesting life:

-- He's obviously either a vegetarian or a farmer (eating beef or chicken would mean relying on the government to inspect it for him; he hates the government)

-- He obviously never travels (driving would mean he relied on federally built highways; flying would mean relying on federally regulated airlines; etc.)

-- He went, and sends his kids to, private schools (public schools are run by the government -- if he used them or uses them that'd mean he had to interact with them)

-- He clearly doesn't keep any of his money is a bank (investing there would mean relying on federally insured cash, and he hates the government)

-- He never reads library books (government library) or watches TV (government airwaves).

Oh, and he wipes his own rear end, too. Of course, everyone does that.

Get a grip, Darren. If you want to live in a country where there's no pesky "government" to ruin your life with everything I just listed, move to Somalia. It's a short plane ride away. You won't see any functioning government at all. For you, maybe it'll be a paradise. The rest of us LIKE the services our government provides, and that our fathers fought for, and that our elected leaders worked to enact.
Reader

Columbus, OH

#9 Sep 1, 2010
iceman21 wrote:
<quoted text>
It has nothing to do with Democratic control, its government control in general I don't care what party.
If you think the private sector is every going to respond to the common needs of the country, better get out your pocket book--and get used to living with the fact that the folks on the bottom rung just won't have a lot of things.

“www.nerkaggrivat e.com”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#10 Sep 1, 2010
this is a sad story..

does all the fingerpointing and useless rhetoric make u happier? accomplish anything?

no.

it's just a very sad thing.
Darren

Columbus, OH

#11 Sep 1, 2010
reality check wrote:
<quoted text>
lol
Yup, so there you have it. Our man Darren here leads a pretty interesting life:
-- He's obviously either a vegetarian or a farmer (eating beef or chicken would mean relying on the government to inspect it for him; he hates the government)
-- He obviously never travels (driving would mean he relied on federally built highways; flying would mean relying on federally regulated airlines; etc.)
-- He went, and sends his kids to, private schools (public schools are run by the government -- if he used them or uses them that'd mean he had to interact with them)
-- He clearly doesn't keep any of his money is a bank (investing there would mean relying on federally insured cash, and he hates the government)
-- He never reads library books (government library) or watches TV (government airwaves).
Oh, and he wipes his own rear end, too. Of course, everyone does that.
Get a grip, Darren. If you want to live in a country where there's no pesky "government" to ruin your life with everything I just listed, move to Somalia. It's a short plane ride away. You won't see any functioning government at all. For you, maybe it'll be a paradise. The rest of us LIKE the services our government provides, and that our fathers fought for, and that our elected leaders worked to enact.
Your a blinking idiot aren't you?

At what point did I say, or have EVER said that the government should be abolished?

I have consistently pointed out that government is hindrance to many things and to ALL of the arguments you make, is extremely inefficient. That is the ONLY problem I have with government along with the concept that they have overstated their designated bounds in many areas.

No, I don't think government should be privatized. But, if you think that government runs things smoothly, either you are off your medicine or delusional.

To your points:

Won't even debate your asisnine comparisons. Not worth the electrons.

“Time traveler”

Since: Apr 10

At large

#12 Sep 1, 2010
iceman21 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya think free trade had anything to do with the collapse of the auto industry? I know that greed on the part of the UAW and Management was out of control but until free trade send all the jobs south into Texico there were plenty of taxpayers keeping the Michigan State government rolling right along.
north of 270

Columbus, OH

#13 Sep 1, 2010
Just another state run by democrats and run in to the ground. Unless people wake up other states will follow. To many unions, Government jobs and entitlement programs not enough private sector workers to pay for it all.
Bob

Winder, GA

#14 Sep 1, 2010
reality check wrote:
Blame it on Bush if you want but dems have run MI since the horse and buggy. Granholm is a Canadian hack that is clueless. She was on a Sunday talking head show and said private business can no longer make it on it's own and needs to be "partnered" with the federal government. She has been Gov for several years and let the state die with the auto industry and wants to say private biz needs to partner with the likes of her ?
Reality Check, why are historically dem led cities like Detroit, Chicago, LA in the tank ?
Bob

Winder, GA

#15 Sep 1, 2010
Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
That's it in a nutshell.
We have had almost four years of leadership from dems and record spending yet we just had the largest egg recall in history. How about we keep inspecting food and quit spending billions on giveaways like earned income tax credit and Social Security for druggies and drunks. One northern city recently spent 800K on a glass sculpture from a german artist and laid off two firefighters, those were not tea party people that chose art over firemen, they were libs.
Martin

Bowling Green, OH

#16 Sep 1, 2010
north of 270 wrote:
Just another state run by democrats and run in to the ground. Unless people wake up other states will follow. To many unions, Government jobs and entitlement programs not enough private sector workers to pay for it all.
And how efficiently did Bob Tax (oops, I mean Bob Taft) run the state of Ohio during his eight years? And weren't Republicans in control of both the Ohio House and the Ohio Senate?

It doesn't matter whether they are Democrat or Republican.
Duh

Mason, OH

#17 Sep 1, 2010
You know what we need? About another 8 years of Bob Taft. He and his cronies did a bang nup job of creating jobs and building a surplus!
That Guy

Toledo, OH

#18 Sep 1, 2010
Dems train to nowhere wrote:
That's funny, I thought Michigan's fortunes really took a turn for the worst during the Reagan/Bush years. In fact, almost all of the manufacturing jobs in the US packed up and went overseas during the 80s.
Tell it like it is

Columbus, OH

#19 Sep 1, 2010
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Blame it on Bush if you want but dems have run MI since the horse and buggy. Granholm is a Canadian hack that is clueless. She was on a Sunday talking head show and said private business can no longer make it on it's own and needs to be "partnered" with the federal government. She has been Gov for several years and let the state die with the auto industry and wants to say private biz needs to partner with the likes of her ?
Reality Check, why are historically dem led cities like Detroit, Chicago, LA in the tank ?
Blame it on Obama if you want but repubs have run OH.......
Reader

Columbus, OH

#20 Sep 1, 2010
Darren wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I don't think government should be privatized. But, if you think that government runs things smoothly, either you are off your medicine or delusional.
It is when government operates the most smoothly that we are least aware of it--and most vulnerable to losing it through following the leadership of the anti-government folks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

St Clair County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News AT&T closing Port Huron call center (Nov '15) Nov '15 Mama From Tennessee 1
News Old fashioned tractor showOld fashioned tractor... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Stan 1
News Pharmacy thieves arrested after car chase with ... (Mar '15) Mar '15 school board 1
News Officials make a case for lakeside nuke dump (Feb '14) Nov '14 Concerned 2
News Mike Connell: 'What we've got here is failure t... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Dorothea Knight 1
News Go back to basics, Capac schools (Mar '14) Mar '14 Michael Mikolajczak 1
News Local officials to get update on Ontario nuke dump (Feb '14) Feb '14 Fukushima update 1
More from around the web