4 accused of Wash. extortion attempt

4 accused of Wash. extortion attempt

There are 9 comments on the Houston Chronicle story from Dec 15, 2007, titled 4 accused of Wash. extortion attempt. In it, Houston Chronicle reports that:

“I'm not going to run, I have nothing to hide”

Police issued arrest warrants Wednesday for four men accused of trying to extort money from a former state legislator who resigned his post after an affair with one of the accused became public. via Houston Chronicle

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Houston Chronicle.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#1 Dec 15, 2007
You've got to admit that it's a rather novel defense, 'I'm not an extortionist but a really expensive male hooker with a payment plan that kind of, sort of looks like blackmail'. Another one of those pathetic stories where absolutely no involved is to be respectedor admired.

Since: May 07

East Bay, CA

#2 Dec 15, 2007
Blackmail is pretty awful - and yes, the guy has come up with a novel defense. But, I am having problems sympathizing with yet one more of those in-the-closet and I'm-not-gay types. Hypocrisy is hypocrisy. I vote we send him to the same people who managed to make Ted Haggard straight in something like three weeks. Or was it two weeks?
KOOKY GAY

United States

#3 Dec 15, 2007
Gail Ann wrote:
Blackmail is pretty awful - and yes, the guy has come up with a novel defense. But, I am having problems sympathizing with yet one more of those in-the-closet and I'm-not-gay types. Hypocrisy is hypocrisy. I vote we send him to the same people who managed to make Ted Haggard straight in something like three weeks. Or was it two weeks?
You seem to have problems with everything. Did you salve your conscience by "having problems sympathizing"? That isn't sympathy but also the very hypocrisy you sling at everyone else. Blackmail and forcing people out when they don't want to be is both evil whether it comes from gays or straights! Look at the big time gay "outer", John Aravosis, a real scum bag that none of us should be proud of because he is also gay.

“Son of Abraham”

Since: Aug 07

Natural Deviant

#4 Dec 15, 2007
KOOKY GAY wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to have problems with everything. Did you salve your conscience by "having problems sympathizing"? That isn't sympathy but also the very hypocrisy you sling at everyone else. Blackmail and forcing people out when they don't want to be is both evil whether it comes from gays or straights! Look at the big time gay "outer", John Aravosis, a real scum bag that none of us should be proud of because he is also gay.
When someone is very homophobic and gay then by all means they should be "outed". If you're preaching from the pulpit or pass anti-gay legislation then they definitely need to be called out for being gay.

“STFU”

Since: May 07

Atlanta, GA

#5 Dec 15, 2007
KOOKY GAY wrote:
<quoted text>
No sympathy, or sanctuary, for closet cases. At least here in the USA, for now, it is not life-threatening to come out of the closet or to be thrown out. If one's actions cause them to be outed, then they should have considered those actions if they have a problem being outed. People who deceive don't deserve respect.
Florida Dude

Tampa, FL

#6 Dec 15, 2007
Outing is always a hot debate topic. I think it is clear that gay and lesbian people who hide and actively work against their own community are using the "sanctity" of the closet, the unwritten rule that says outing is bad, to protect them from the consequences of their actions.

As a community, we do not owe sanctuary to those that harm us.

On the flip side, I've seen good gay people have their sexuality used as leverage by other gay folk. One such person was active duty military, refused to have sex with a friend, and ended up discharged, medical benefits withdrawn, and this being prior to anti-virals, died almost a year later of HIV-related illness.

So here we have an anti-gay, homosexual senator selling out his community on one side, and an extortionist looking to use the senator's closeted status for financial gain. Both evils for the price of one. Ain't karma a bitch?

“I will not go quietly.”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis Indiana

#7 Dec 15, 2007
Florida Dude wrote:
Outing is always a hot debate topic. I think it is clear that gay and lesbian people who hide and actively work against their own community are using the "sanctity" of the closet, the unwritten rule that says outing is bad, to protect them from the consequences of their actions.
As a community, we do not owe sanctuary to those that harm us.
On the flip side, I've seen good gay people have their sexuality used as leverage by other gay folk. One such person was active duty military, refused to have sex with a friend, and ended up discharged, medical benefits withdrawn, and this being prior to anti-virals, died almost a year later of HIV-related illness.
So here we have an anti-gay, homosexual senator selling out his community on one side, and an extortionist looking to use the senator's closeted status for financial gain. Both evils for the price of one. Ain't karma a bitch?
Exactly.

WAW

Since: Dec 07

T.O.

#8 Dec 15, 2007
There seems to be no need to out anybody. If you are a republican senator and you stand for anything anti-gay then you are probably gay, or so the recent outings would suggest. One hipocrite upset me, the second made me think and now all I can do is laugh.
Sheldon

Silver Spring, MD

#10 Dec 16, 2007
Perhaps a better answer would be to make prostitution legal. That way, if the senator had gone to a brothel or licensed callboy, he wouldn't have had to engage in a pretense of "giving him money for expenses" and the brothel or callboy would have gotten payment upfront and would have had no reason to resort to extraordinary means to resolve a billing dispute.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spokane County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Spokane Police investigate vandalism of GOP hea... Jan '17 VeganTiger 1
Spokane County Criminal Mugshots and Arrests Re... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Harper 2
News 'Unknown irritant' sickens servicemembers at Fa... (Aug '16) Aug '16 vvvwvvv 1
News NJ Police: Man who knocked out woman in Faceboo... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Michelle Murphy 1
News Sheriff: Extremists are breeding danger - Tue, ... (Jun '15) Oct '15 jomama 2
News Blu-ray player, sex, and drugs blamed for deadl... (Oct '13) Sep '15 HillyardBratt 2
News Jail spots sheets hanging from cell, foiling es... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Spotted Girl 3
More from around the web