Man who was Tasered in Spokane dies

May 12, 2007 Full story: Bellingham Herald 20

A man who stopped breathing last week after he was Tasered and tied up by four sheriff's deputies died this morning at Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane. via Bellingham Herald

Full Story
ex-cop

United States

#1 May 13, 2007
I am tired of seeing all these people high on drugs, die. So what do, we as a people blame, not the drugs, but the taser.

I have been tased, You know what, I'm still alive, but I wasn't high on drugs when I went through my training. I am still clean. I have been OC-10'ed, shocked, and tasered. Still alive.

If the public wants to know about the taser, I would offer an idea, contact your local L.E. department and ask to be tasered. I would do it again. it is a good tool for L.E. it doesn't kill.
apprehensive one

Pablo, MT

#2 May 14, 2007
So is that why you are an ex-cop. Did you quit or get fired? The fact that you are still alive after the tasering is because you were just given a sample. Apparently a guy in a seizure needs medical attention and not tasered. They murdered him. It is not right and the devil will lhave all their souls. amen to that.
ex-cop wrote:
I am tired of seeing all these people high on drugs, die. So what do, we as a people blame, not the drugs, but the taser.
I have been tased, You know what, I'm still alive, but I wasn't high on drugs when I went through my training. I am still clean. I have been OC-10'ed, shocked, and tasered. Still alive.
If the public wants to know about the taser, I would offer an idea, contact your local L.E. department and ask to be tasered. I would do it again. it is a good tool for L.E. it doesn't kill.
just me

Seattle, WA

#3 May 14, 2007
I know a high ranking police officer and they have to be tasered before they can even carry the taser. This is so they know what it is like and so they can experience the affects of the device. I also know of a newscaster who was tasered to see what it is like.
The remark you made about the ex-cop being fired or quitting is totally uncalled for. If you had read the whole report, you would have realized that yes the man appeared to be having a seizure, but then got up and ran from law enforcement officials. They did the best they could considering the circumstances. You know burning house, one suspect running away, man in house having what appears to be a seizure, then getting up and running. Let me know what you would do in those circumstances, considering you seem to know what to do in all situations.
what

Spokane, WA

#4 May 17, 2007
Of course he looked like he was having a seizure he was being tased. Maybe the cops went a little to far as they often do.
just me

Seattle, WA

#5 May 17, 2007
what wrote:
Of course he looked like he was having a seizure he was being tased. Maybe the cops went a little to far as they often do.
He was having the seizure before they went into the house. Read the story.
What

Ronan, MT

#6 May 18, 2007
One question, I haven't read the story yet, doing that next, but why would you taser a man that was already having a seizure, wouldn't you administer aid to the person. Not to sure of the story like I said, he may have had the seizure got up then got tasered, don't know but I was just replying to the previous post.
patterson

Seattle, WA

#7 May 18, 2007
What wrote:
One question, I haven't read the story yet, doing that next, but why would you taser a man that was already having a seizure, wouldn't you administer aid to the person. Not to sure of the story like I said, he may have had the seizure got up then got tasered, don't know but I was just replying to the previous post.
When officers went into the house to rescue the man from what could of been a very bad fire.(Mobile home and fire don't mix). The gentleman started fighting with the officers. They tased him to get him undercontol.
Joe Q Public IV

Missoula, MT

#8 May 20, 2007
patterson wrote:
<quoted text>When officers went into the house to rescue the man from what could of been a very bad fire.(Mobile home and fire don't mix). The gentleman started fighting with the officers. They tased him to get him undercontol.
My the good Lord be with the Spokane Police. They seem to be overdoing it. If a man is having a seizure he needs medical attention and not to be tasered. This is devil inspired and it seems like some of the Spokane Police need to learn how to calm down a little. A man having a seizure needs medical attention and not to be tasered. The police took it too personally. He wasn't fighting them. It seems to me they were each acting like dogs after a wildcat. All they want to do is kill kill kill. We all need to pray that this violence stops. Too many innocent people are getting killed unneccessarily. This isn't Iraq, dear people who think it is ok for the police to kill an innocent person who is having a seizure. Someone told me Spokane was a scary place because of the way the police are. They shoot first and ask questions later I was told. I don't mean all the policemen are like that there, just the ones that are. Wow
just me

Seattle, WA

#9 May 21, 2007
Joe Q Public IV wrote:
<quoted text>My the good Lord be with the Spokane Police. They seem to be overdoing it. If a man is having a seizure he needs medical attention and not to be tasered. This is devil inspired and it seems like some of the Spokane Police need to learn how to calm down a little. A man having a seizure needs medical attention and not to be tasered. The police took it too personally. He wasn't fighting them. It seems to me they were each acting like dogs after a wildcat. All they want to do is kill kill kill. We all need to pray that this violence stops. Too many innocent people are getting killed unneccessarily. This isn't Iraq, dear people who think it is ok for the police to kill an innocent person who is having a seizure. Someone told me Spokane was a scary place because of the way the police are. They shoot first and ask questions later I was told. I don't mean all the policemen are like that there, just the ones that are. Wow
What do you mean he wasn't fighting the police. Were you there? Also, this is the Spokane Valley Police. Not the Spokane Police. But you make it sound as if your police department is perfect. I also live in Spokane and I feel perfectly safe. I believe that the police department is do a good job considering that there are people out there who choose not to teach their children right from wrong.
No Bias

Kalispell, MT

#10 May 21, 2007
Exactly, lets not villify the whole dept., Spokane Valley and Spokanes for the work of a few. It takes an outstanding person to do such a thankless and scrutinized job. So major thanks to all law enforcement, fire depts. and so on. Lets not let the misdeeds of a few discredit the great work of plenty.
A grandmother

Missoula, MT

#11 May 25, 2007
just me wrote:
I know a high ranking police officer and they have to be tasered before they can even carry the taser. This is so they know what it is like and so they can experience the affects of the device. I also know of a newscaster who was tasered to see what it is like.
The remark you made about the ex-cop being fired or quitting is totally uncalled for. If you had read the whole report, you would have realized that yes the man appeared to be having a seizure, but then got up and ran from law enforcement officials. They did the best they could considering the circumstances. You know burning house, one suspect running away, man in house having what appears to be a seizure, then getting up and running. Let me know what you would do in those circumstances, considering you seem to know what to do in all situations.
Law enforcement should have training in medical matters. Then they would know that if a person is having a seizure they can run and uncontrollably. It isn't aimed at anyone around them, they just do it uncontrollable,like flipping out. The police should not use unneccessary force when all they had to do was calmly wait for the seizure to subside. zi really don't see how they could have done the best when an unneccessary death occured. Police are supposed to be on the side of the law. They may have been better off if they weren't given those tasers. Just give the policemen some soapy water squirt guns. Those will sting the eyes but they won't kill people. Though shalt not kill. One sick man and four policemen with tasers is like giving four big strong bullys on the playground rocks to throw at the sickly kid. That is just as I see it anyway so please don't jump all over me. Mind your manners.
just me

Seattle, WA

#12 May 25, 2007
A grandmother wrote:
<quoted text>Law enforcement should have training in medical matters. Then they would know that if a person is having a seizure they can run and uncontrollably. It isn't aimed at anyone around them, they just do it uncontrollable,like flipping out. The police should not use unneccessary force when all they had to do was calmly wait for the seizure to subside. zi really don't see how they could have done the best when an unneccessary death occured. Police are supposed to be on the side of the law. They may have been better off if they weren't given those tasers. Just give the policemen some soapy water squirt guns. Those will sting the eyes but they won't kill people. Though shalt not kill. One sick man and four policemen with tasers is like giving four big strong bullys on the playground rocks to throw at the sickly kid. That is just as I see it anyway so please don't jump all over me. Mind your manners.
So what are the police to do when a person who is acting suspiciously pulls a gun on them? I am just wondering. There are several instances that, yes, officers have used excessive force. But, what happens when a situation like this happens and the officers are not ready?
just me

Seattle, WA

#13 May 25, 2007
By excessive force, I am talking about all police officers. Those in Chicago, who shot a groom on his wedding day, Seattle, San Fransico, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, etc. It happens everywhere. We just don't hear about it as often because it happens in larger cities. When something like this happens in a smaller town it makes the news. Bigger town, not so much.
A grandmother

Missoula, MT

#14 May 25, 2007
just me wrote:
<quoted text>So what are the police to do when a person who is acting suspiciously pulls a gun on them? I am just wondering. There are several instances that, yes, officers have used excessive force. But, what happens when a situation like this happens and the officers are not ready?
Well I will tell you this young man. A taser isn't going to helo them. It would be like tasering a fellow with a grenade or tasering a big old grizzly bear. You'r only going to make them madder. If they have a gun and clearly it is a gun and they are shooting at you, you could shoot the gun right out of their hands. That's what Andy of Mayberry would do. Police need to be nice and really be careing.
A grandmother

Missoula, MT

#15 May 25, 2007
just me wrote:
By excessive force, I am talking about all police officers. Those in Chicago, who shot a groom on his wedding day, Seattle, San Fransico, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, etc. It happens everywhere. We just don't hear about it as often because it happens in larger cities. When something like this happens in a smaller town it makes the news. Bigger town, not so much.
I am sure if we had a newspaper from San Francisco or Los Angeles it would be loaded with horror stories of police butality. There would be many stories of where the police did their jobe too. We don't know where to get the Los Angeles Times, or the San Francisco News. I might be good though.
Miss Smarty

Seattle, WA

#16 May 27, 2007
Google.
Shonto Pete

Spokane, WA

#17 Jun 22, 2007
Urgent mesg going out to anyone that can help. I was shot in the back of the head by a drunk off duty cop here in Spokane Wa. My sister, who I was caring for, was murdered in Mt when I let her go back to visit my Mom and her B-friend who was on leave from Iraq. At the same time my wife was laid off for the summer. To look up any of these stories just google search my name Shonto Pete and/or my sisters name Tasheena Craft. I set up a fund at any US Bank under my name. Please help or someone you know that can help. To contact me via e-mail I'm at shontopete@comcast.net til my internet gets shut off. Or call 5.0.9 2.1.6 7.2.3.4 for Ideas. Anything will go a long way..........
arroyoribera

Spokane, WA

#18 Aug 25, 2007
There is ample information about the SPD at spokanepoliceabuses.worldpress.com
The time for independent civilian oversight of the Spokane Police Department has arrived.
cool person

Spring Creek, NV

#19 Oct 31, 2007
Thats crap that they think they can do what ever they want to do with a taser
arroyoribera

Spokane, WA

#20 Nov 25, 2007
Shonto Pete was of course acquitted. He was shot in the back of the head by a drunk off-duty Spokane cop. The cop lied and his girlfriend lied. There was no evidence that Pete stole or attempted to steal the truck. The cop is still a Spokane Police cop 9 months after the incident (though he is on unpaid administrative leave). His trial is scheduled for a few days from now.
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/local/story.as...

As for tasers, the UN just declared them last week to be a form of torture.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/25/nat...

For a truly tragic story, similar in several ways to Spokane's Ottos Zehm death at the hands of cops, check out the story of the taser death of Robert Robert Dziekanski. Be sure to watch the video start to finish.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/sto...

http://spokanepoliceabuses.wordpress.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Spokane County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man facing multiple assault charges accused of ... (May '14) May '14 PLENTY OF LOSERS ... 1
Jason Mann found guilty in officer-involved sho... (Aug '08) May '14 janet 12
DUI Pilot Program Starts January 1 (Dec '13) Dec '13 Troy N Houghtalin... 1
Blu-ray player, sex, and drugs blamed for deadl... (Oct '13) Oct '13 ace 1
Car Enthusiasts Wanted (Oct '13) Oct '13 Casting 1
National briefs (Sep '13) Sep '13 Anywhere Texas 1
Bail at $3M for 2nd teen in veteran beating case (Aug '13) Aug '13 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
More from around the web