Lake Sonoma at capacity for first time in 4 years

Full story: Marin Independent Journal

Water officials say recent storms have filled up Lake Sonoma in Sonoma County for the first time in four years.
Comments
1 - 7 of 7 Comments Last updated Jan 28, 2010

Since: Feb 08

Hana, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2010

Slightly misleading article, Lake Sonoma actually has a total capacity of 381,000 acre/ feet, not 245,000 acre/feet. The 245,000 acre/feet is the usable water table. Last year on Feb. 9, 2009, Lake Sonoma was at 80 percent of capacity of the usable water table, 201,040 acre/feet. Even in dry years Lake Sonoma never goes below 70 percent of capacity because the Sonoma County Water Agency is forbidden from using much of the water due to limitations of the release down Dry Creek to protect the fisheries.
If the SCWA went ahead with their Dry Creek bypass pipeline project, then they could start utilizing much more water out of Lake Sonoma, but they abruptly canceled it last year due to financial problems, so for now as always, they will have a reserve.
The SCWA may serve 600,000 customers but Lake Sonoma does not at this time like the article states. The SCWA derives it's water from Lake Mendocino, Lake Pillsbury and the Russian River and Lake Sonoma only feeds a small part of the total water used by the 600,000 customers of the SCWA that includes southern Mendocino County, Sonoma County, Novato and about 18 percent of the Marin Municipal Water District that serves about half of the geographical area of Marin County, in addition to the completely seperate other 5 water district that serve Marin County. They say we used to use about 25 percent of SCWA water in the MMWD, but they cut us back 25 percent last year. So now maybe they will release the full 8000 feet to the MMWD now that their drought is over in the SCWA.
I guess when it comes to articles about water, they can print whatever they feel like and not many people know enough to question what they write, but I question everything.

Since: Jan 09

Novato, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2010

Thanks for the clarification/info Pulipaca...

Think they'll lower our rates they nicely increased last year? Of course not.
going up

Novato, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2010

T Durden wrote:
Thanks for the clarification/info Pulipaca...
Think they'll lower our rates they nicely increased last year? Of course not.
Wake up your rates are going up this year
Hal

Mill Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah, so lets make the MMWD ratepayers foot the $400,000,000 bill to build the desalination plant which may never even be turned on.
It will be the green light for massive new developments in Marin though as prescribed by state law.
Sign the petition to make it an item that the ratepaying public can vote yes or no on, rather than a bunch of pro development flunkies on the MMWD board.

Since: Apr 09

Marin County, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2010

Thanks, Pulipaca. We're treated far too much to so-called "reporting" by "reporters" who don't bother to do the research, know the material, and get their facts straight.

To emphasize one point: MMWD does get some of this water allocation. Furthermore, if they had spent the money the voters approved years ago for an additional pipeline to Sonoma County instead of frittering it away on pet projects, we'd have a guaranteed method of getting our allocation. Instead MMWD is "desal happy", figuring that spare money from a complex machinery project is easier to hide/skim than spare money from a simple pipeline.
on my dime

Novato, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2010

That is great news.But can we at least think and talk about Desalination?

Since: Apr 09

Marin County, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2010

on my dime wrote:
That is great news.But can we at least think and talk about Desalination?

Free thought and free speech abounds in this country. Think and talk about what you like--just don't expect people to agree with you because you think the expensive solution is "best", "greenest", "most satisfying to the touchy-feely crowd", or whatever other attribute trips your trigger....

(Oh, and please remember that your freedom to speak comes matched with my freedom not to listen....)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Sonoma County Discussions

Search the Sonoma County Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Protest Erupts Over Slain Santa Rosa Teen Outsi... Jul 16 oakley resident 3
Mom Arrested, Accused Of Leaving 2 Kids In Car ... Jul 1 B Benjamin 1
County educators worry about decision on teache... Jun '14 pd comments 1
Lake Mendocino critically low (Dec '13) Feb '14 Bragging One 32
Storm's wet furry targeted Mount Tamalpais Feb '14 CDo 1
Sebastopol considers opposing county fluoridati... Feb '14 Fluoridation Harmful 1
Miller guilty on all counts (Dec '13) Dec '13 another One 4
•••
•••