Dude, What? - Man Tries to Pay $700 T...

Dude, What? - Man Tries to Pay $700 Ticket in Change

There are 65 comments on the WXIA Atlanta story from Sep 11, 2007, titled Dude, What? - Man Tries to Pay $700 Ticket in Change. In it, WXIA Atlanta reports that:

This story begins last Febuary when Owen King drove his bumper stickered bug through downtown Monroe.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WXIA Atlanta.

liberal

Hartford, CT

#49 Sep 13, 2007
What they should have done was keep him in a holding cell until the amount could be verified.
liberal

Hartford, CT

#50 Sep 13, 2007
What the courts should do is get a payment system that accepts coins......Walmart has one :o)

Since: Jul 07

Curtisville, PA

#51 Sep 14, 2007
Tricie Poo wrote:
The reality is, Tammy, that we are lucky to be in a free country and to have a free country we must follow some rules and contribute to a better society. The man was just being hard to get along with. Its not the cops fault, or the Judges fault or the clerk who did not accept his payments fault that he got fined. He knows what an inconvience it is to pay in pennies and the only person hurt by it is the poor slob who has to count and roll the pennies. I say to this man GROW UP!!!!!
No place in writing did it say they would not take change over a certain amount. They changed the rule to suit THEIR needs... They should take his money and move on.

GO OWEN....
Joseph

Sammamish, WA

#52 Sep 15, 2007
I say to my supervisors at work as a cashier please let me put up a sign that say's "If you fear change, Leave it here!" with a jar of course Bravo Bravo Bravo
Canadian eh

Abbotsford, Canada

#53 Sep 17, 2007
Haha suckers. If he tried that in Canada, the *law* says they only legally need to accept $0.25 in pennies at a time (also $5 in nickels, $10 in dimes). Therefore, it WOULD be illegal and he would have been fined again for noncompliance. You should check your laws too, may save you some time counting change
JoAnne

Cumming, GA

#54 Sep 17, 2007
What, he paid. I don't care how he paid but he paid. If they didn't want to count it - get a job at McDonalds. You have to count it there. But wait you wouldn't be given the government benefits. Wonder how many McDonald's employees would count the change?
JoAnne

Cumming, GA

#55 Sep 17, 2007
As for the Canadian thing - go back....
TNACGRL

United States

#56 Sep 17, 2007
Julie wrote:
<quoted text>I agree money is money -- change is currency. I think what he is doing is great!
I second that i think i would find me an attorney.

United States

#57 Sep 17, 2007
TNACGRL wrote:
<quoted text>I second that i think i would find me an attorney.
wonder if the attorney would take the change?
TNACGRL

Dillon, SC

#58 Sep 17, 2007
hubba hubba wrote:
<quoted text>
wonder if the attorney would take the change?
NO CHANGE ONLY MONEY!!! Thats some funny shiznit!!!!

United States

#59 Sep 17, 2007
TNACGRL wrote:
<quoted text>NO CHANGE ONLY MONEY!!! Thats some funny shiznit!!!!
isn't change money?

Since: Apr 07

Deep In The Heart Of Texas

#60 Sep 18, 2007
hubba hubba wrote:
<quoted text>
isn't change money?
Sure it's money, but can you imagine how much per hour they would charge to count the fee?
TNACGRL

Miami, FL

#61 Sep 18, 2007
Taxed Out wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure it's money, but can you imagine how much per hour they would charge to count the fee?
So if they getting paid by hour why they crying?Money is money be it coins or paper.I have paid some bills with change rolled change but they didnt refuse my payment.
Owen King

Lynnwood, WA

#62 Sep 19, 2007
Tricie Poo wrote:
The reality is, Tammy, that we are lucky to be in a free country and to have a free country we must follow some rules and contribute to a better society. The man was just being hard to get along with. Its not the cops fault, or the Judges fault or the clerk who did not accept his payments fault that he got fined. He knows what an inconvience it is to pay in pennies and the only person hurt by it is the poor slob who has to count and roll the pennies. I say to this man GROW UP!!!!!
It was not just pennies.
Of one of the fines which totaled 398.36 there was 200 in one dollar coins, 100 of it was in fifty cent pieces, and either 50 or 60 in quarters and then if I remember correctly there was 20 or 30 in dimes and then 10 in nickels and 10 in pennies of which 2 dollars are rolled in plastic.

How can I get a speeding and following too closely ticket without the vehicle in front of me at least getting a speeding ticket? The person that I was following is my girlfriend. She pulled over when the police lights came on and the cop never even looked in her direction.
Owen King

Lynnwood, WA

#63 Sep 19, 2007
blind justice wrote:
the court needs one of those coin counting machines.
how come i have to figure out all of these solutions?
i should send them a bill.
The court has one the clerk told me that it's just been broken for the past 5 years.
Owen King

Lynnwood, WA

#64 Sep 19, 2007
Taxed Out wrote:
I'm sure he got a serious chuckle out of carrying all of that change into the court house. I would have taken it sure, I understand that you have to accept legal currency but I would have had him roll it as opposed to turning him away totally.
I would have rolled it if the court had presented a court order to do so or a law requiring that it be rolled.
Owen King

Lynnwood, WA

#65 Sep 19, 2007
joe wrote:
On payday let your employer give you your paycheck in loose coins. Hey, it's legal tender..right? Your paycheck may weigh a hundred pounds but you got paid right?
This guy is a moron. Anyone out there would be pissed if this guy came into your business and tried to pay you for a service using $700 dollars in loose coins. All of you would be raising heck if you had to count all of that.
A PRIVATE business can make and post such rules as to what forms of payment they will and won't accept. A PRIVATE business does not even have to accept Federal Reserve Notes but a court does. Besides how different is this really from the man in Indiana who paid over 12,000 in ones and coins?
Anna

Decatur, GA

#66 Sep 19, 2007
pay the freakin fine. who cares anymore?! there is more important news. like will britney spears ever get her kids back?! ok...15 minutes is over, plan your next "stick it to the man" government plot owen...please?
Jim Casey

Pittsburgh, PA

#67 Sep 20, 2007
As I see it, and I do see it from a more firsthand perspective, Owen King is breaking his own "rule". You see, Owen is a self proclaimed anti-government nut!!!! I should know, I work with him at UPS. Owen, why did you cave in and pay the "man"? A tad hypocritical don't you think? This person has not paid taxes in years!!! Incidentally, if anyone wants a real view of the degree of lunacy were dealing with in this person, check out Owen Kings "My Space" page... until you do,you have no idea how off his meds he really is!!! Use the $700 dollars and find a good Doctor!

Since: Apr 07

Deep In The Heart Of Texas

#68 Sep 20, 2007
TNACGRL wrote:
<quoted text>So if they getting paid by hour why they crying?Money is money be it coins or paper.I have paid some bills with change rolled change but they didnt refuse my payment.
I was actually referring back to the attorney comment, not the courts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Snohomish County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News You gotta see this: The war on holistic, altern... Apr '16 Elise Gingerich 1
Dogs using school fields Jan '16 Nate 1
Carwash bully Jan '16 Angry Friend 1
News Free tax preparation available starting on Jan. 20 (Jan '15) Jun '15 Jen 4
Darrington man, 49, accused of sex with teen ru... (Feb '15) Feb '15 agreed 1
News Body recovered from Snohomish County lake (Jan '15) Jan '15 amonblack 2
Baby formula on black markets results in Mill C... (Dec '14) Dec '14 name 1
More from around the web