Dude, What? - Man Tries to Pay $700 T...

Dude, What? - Man Tries to Pay $700 Ticket in Change

There are 65 comments on the WXIA Atlanta story from Sep 11, 2007, titled Dude, What? - Man Tries to Pay $700 Ticket in Change. In it, WXIA Atlanta reports that:

This story begins last Febuary when Owen King drove his bumper stickered bug through downtown Monroe.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WXIA Atlanta.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Douglasville Mom

Atlanta, GA

#1 Sep 11, 2007
What a stupid idiot! I hope they suspend his license and he never gets them back. He's trying to bully the legal system and bully the clerk's and bully some Judge into letting him off. He thinks by making enough noise this will simply go away. If you do the crime, you do the time.....or pay the fine.....in proper currency. Idiot!
Tammy

AOL

#2 Sep 11, 2007
I totally agree with this man, he tried to pay and they refused it, that is not his problem now, it is theirs. Money is money no matter how you look at it. I am also tired of the government telling us what to do, how to do it, and how we can use our money. The government anymore thinks they are above the law, but they can tell us how to live our life. You tell them Owen King, I am right behind you!!!!! You fight your fight and I hope you win!!!!
Gayla

Conyers, GA

#3 Sep 11, 2007
Douglasville Mom,

What in your opinion is proper currency? A penny is a penny and it is "legal tender". If I have 70,000 of them I can pay a $700 fine. If the government won't take their own money then that's their problem. It's the system that does the bullying and I'm sick of it!
Frank

Lawrenceville, GA

#5 Sep 11, 2007
Douglasville Mom wrote:
What a stupid idiot! I hope they suspend his license and he never gets them back. He's trying to bully the legal system and bully the clerk's and bully some Judge into letting him off. He thinks by making enough noise this will simply go away. If you do the crime, you do the time.....or pay the fine.....in proper currency. Idiot!
I agree, this is childish, but, he used proper currency, bill or coin. They refused to accept his payment, they were wrong either way.
Cinderelli

Atlanta, GA

#6 Sep 11, 2007
Tammy wrote:
I totally agree with this man, he tried to pay and they refused it, that is not his problem now, it is theirs. Money is money no matter how you look at it. I am also tired of the government telling us what to do, how to do it, and how we can use our money. The government anymore thinks they are above the law, but they can tell us how to live our life. You tell them Owen King, I am right behind you!!!!! You fight your fight and I hope you win!!!!
I thought this was a Gov't run BY the people? If the gov't can't take it's own currency What are we suppose to pay with, African Cedis? Mexican Pesoes? Europe Euros? Take the coins and be happyy he paid his debt..Taht is better than some of the dead beats who don't.
Julie

United States

#8 Sep 11, 2007
Tammy wrote:
I agree money is money -- change is currency. I think what he is doing is great!
jlb

Powder Springs, GA

#9 Sep 11, 2007
He tried to pay the fine. Yes, he did it for spite. Yes, it's annoying when someone pays in change, but it's legal. He came with the money to pay & they wouldn't take it. They refused payment therefore he no longer owes them anything.
RealityCheck wrote:
Tell Goober the old South died over 100 years ago when they lost the war. Stop trying to be a Rebel, pay the damn fine, and DRIVE BETTER.
crj

Woodstock, GA

#10 Sep 11, 2007
They don't take the change because it makes more work for them,sooooooooo what let them work a little for their money and quit the crying already. I think its great that someone has the guts to stand up to them. I hope you win......
Tricie Poo

United States

#11 Sep 11, 2007
You cant fight city hall!!!!!
Tricie Poo

United States

#12 Sep 11, 2007
The reality is, Tammy, that we are lucky to be in a free country and to have a free country we must follow some rules and contribute to a better society. The man was just being hard to get along with. Its not the cops fault, or the Judges fault or the clerk who did not accept his payments fault that he got fined. He knows what an inconvience it is to pay in pennies and the only person hurt by it is the poor slob who has to count and roll the pennies. I say to this man GROW UP!!!!!
Bill

Windsor, Canada

#13 Sep 11, 2007
Tammy wrote:
I wonder if you would feel that way, if on your next payday, your paycheck took the form of loose change? There's always someone that tries this stunt as a protest. It's nothing new, or newsworthy. It's a game he won't be allowed to win, or else the precedent will be overwhelming.
Anna

Roswell, GA

#14 Sep 11, 2007
uhm...I don't really see this as news worthy...guess Monroe has to have news sometime soon...fight the power?
Bugs

United States

#15 Sep 11, 2007
It was his way of making a point. At least he tried. Most people these days sit back and complain about how things are without doing anything about it. Maybe what he did was stupid, but he had to hit them where it hurt. In the pocketbook. Wouldn't hurt the clerk to work a little.
blind justice

North Bend, OR

#16 Sep 11, 2007
the court needs one of those coin counting machines.

how come i have to figure out all of these solutions?

i should send them a bill.
shanika

Douglas, GA

#17 Sep 11, 2007
Well, i'm on your side, the law now-a-days just ain't right!
citizen x

Tucker, GA

#18 Sep 11, 2007
Douglasville Mom wrote:
Hey STUPID! Is a penny proper currency or not? I do believe if something costs $2.11 and if you give the clerk a $10 bill,then the change should be $7.89. If the clerk gives me back seven dollars and eighty nine cents, then I think tha'ts the right change! If you are having a problem making change, it's understandable, most of the people who post oomments are STUPID!!!!!!!!! No need to feel out of place you MORON
citizen x

Tucker, GA

#19 Sep 11, 2007
Cinderelli wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought this was a Gov't run BY the people? If the gov't can't take it's own currency What are we suppose to pay with, African Cedis? Mexican Pesoes? Europe Euros? Take the coins and be happyy he paid his debt..Taht is better than some of the dead beats who don't.
WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! At least there are some people who know how to count!Pennies are money and if they are not PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO PAY $11.51? Can't wait to see this answer!!!!!!!!!!Come on Einstein, show me I'm wrong!!!!!!!!
Lacie

United States

#21 Sep 11, 2007
Money is money. We all learned how to count in school right. So stop being lazy and count the change!!!
Info

United States

#22 Sep 11, 2007
blind justice wrote:
the court needs one of those coin counting machines.
how come i have to figure out all of these solutions?
i should send them a bill.
Now that's a great ideal!
Sara

Stockbridge, GA

#23 Sep 11, 2007
You know....there are plenty of stores and whatnot out there that do not accept bills higher than a 20. So why can't someone put a lower limit on it? No loose change and no bills over $20. I think he was just being difficult to get out of paying. But I have to side with the clerk....she isn't a bank teller.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Snohomish County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News You gotta see this: The war on holistic, altern... Apr 23 Elise Gingerich 1
Dogs using school fields Jan '16 Nate 1
Carwash bully Jan '16 Angry Friend 1
News Free tax preparation available starting on Jan. 20 (Jan '15) Jun '15 Jen 4
Darrington man, 49, accused of sex with teen ru... (Feb '15) Feb '15 agreed 1
News Body recovered from Snohomish County lake (Jan '15) Jan '15 amonblack 2
Baby formula on black markets results in Mill C... (Dec '14) Dec '14 name 1
More from around the web