Bothell annexation debate is now a co...

Bothell annexation debate is now a community Q and A

There are 2 comments on the Kenmore Reporter story from Mar 26, 2012, titled Bothell annexation debate is now a community Q and A. In it, Kenmore Reporter reports that:

"Yes"-annexation group Citizens for a Better Bothell planned to hold a debate with "no"-annexation collection Citizens for Responsible Annexations on March 28, but a community question-and-answer session is now the focus of the meeting.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kenmore Reporter.

Curtis B

United States

#1 Mar 27, 2012
I am disappointed that the No side is afraid to have a debate with fact checking people from the media present. However I am not surprised, since they said exactly the same about the interlocal agreement 2 weeks ago.( the agreement that would have guaranteed that Fire Station 22 would have remained open for 5 years ). If you read both statements, they area very similar including " it was one sided, we had no involvement and we are a victim of a political move". In fact I personally have been encouraging them to come to the debate for two weeks. I would like to see policy makers held to fact checking by the media. It is lacking in the debate. We thought that we had an agreement with the most vocal fire fighters on Facebook. They challenged us to get a policy maker and Mayor Lamb agreed to attend. We even had Pat O'Day to moderate. A lot of work went into this.
Curtis B

Lynnwood, WA

#2 Apr 6, 2012
WHY I SUPPORT BOTHELL ANNEXATION
Let me start off saying that for those people that think that joining Bothell will be "another layer of government" you have it wrong. In fact I thought the same exact thing. What will happen is the two current government entities (Snohomish CO and the fire districts ) will be replaced by one smaller and more responsive government. The NEWBA area is 44% of the potential new population of Bothell. However, the land in square miles will only be 32%. Not only will the annexation pay for itself, but sales tax will stay in your community, instead of being sent to the black hole, some call "Olympia" or "Everett"
I personally believe that our fire district is corrupt but you can read my response on that under Annexation and Fire in this forum.. just a few days after the election last November, after promising they were in good shape and they could take care of us better than Bothell FD ever could, they announced a huge deficit and 9 positions to be laid off. 4 of which were to be fire fighters. They worked out some sort of deal with the union and were able to preserve those 4 jobs, but the deception from last year broke my trust in them. I will now VOTE YES to annex because I now see that almost everything the "Citizens for responsible annexations" says is not only a distortion, but a huge lie. It is nothing but fear tactics. I wish the news would truth squad their claims. I would also note that the state law on annexations states clearly "that the city must provide factual information but is not able to campaign." The "No" side has no such problem being able to lie.( RCW 35)
Fire and EMS - The Snohomish county fire districts unions do not like the annexation because not only will they loose funding, but also Bothell, FD10 and Woodenville use a different shift strategy than FD1 and FD7. Bothell uses a 3 person platoon and FD1 uses a 4 person platoon strategy. What this essentially means is that Bothell employs less fire fighters, but they work more overtime than FD1. By approving annexation some of the fire fighters from FD1 and FD7 will not be needed anymore, because it is a different shift. The amount of staffing will stay exactly the same in each station. The difference is about 5 to 6 hours OT each week. It cost much less to pay 6 hours OT than it does to fully "benefit" a new fire fighter. So if you want to know the real reason why you see so many fire fighters opposing this annexation this is it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Snohomish County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Allstate Employees Partner Together for Bring O... Jun 22 NMar 1
News Man pleads guilty in deadly shooting (Jun '09) Mar '17 Jojo69 4
Rachel Burkheimer (Nov '16) Nov '16 Trumps Army 1
News Sex sting (Sep '16) Sep '16 Wicked Nasty Coach 2
Snohomish County Arrest Records and Criminal Mu... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Avery 2
News You gotta see this: The war on holistic, altern... (Apr '16) Apr '16 Elise Gingerich 1
Dogs using school fields (Jan '16) Jan '16 Nate 1
More from around the web