What are the COmmissioners & Mayor do...

What are the COmmissioners & Mayor doing ?

Posted in the Smith County Forum

Smith County Resident

Huntsville, AL

#1 Apr 23, 2006
A Smith County elected official has been running ads in the local news paper allegedly to inform the voters of upcoming issues which would either affect them or whatever as the agenda is uncertain because not all of the issues have been stated in the ad. There are several area's which should be of concern to the citizens of Smith County, these area's are based on Projects which the County has initiated which are not made totally public such as the Horse Arena, Farmers Market, Fair Grounds, Senior Citizens Center, School Expenses as well as any other projects not made public. Taxes have been raised to fund the Board of education. Why weren't these expenses foreseen? Now an additional wheel tax on Motorcycles has been raised to help pay for these expenses. This is unacceptable due to the rumors of new buildings and projects which in no way can be funded if the County still has to pay for the Board of Education short falls.
The Mayor and Commissioners have been openly fighting a Criminal Justice Center, WHY?
Looking from the outside as most of the dealings of the commissioners is not published there appears to be a smoke screen to hide issues of personal interest.
A Criminal Justice Center is needed for the Safety and Welfare of County Residents. If the center is not built now it will be built in the near future at a greater cost to the Taxpayers.
There has been NO new business or industry opened in Smith County in the last 4 years. There has been some talk of Super Wal-mart which has not happened. A business such as this would generate approximately 200 jobs not to mention the revenue from sales tax would help elevate the burden on tax payers in Smith County.
Apparently this is not a concern for the Mayor or the Commissioners.
I hope the taxpayers contact their Commissioner and ask them to explain what the future plans are for Smith County – That is if you can find them.
Charles Butler

Nashville, TN

#2 Apr 26, 2006
I agree with you. It is a shame that a certain group of people run the entire county for their own benefit without the public in mind. The taxpayers of Smith County are unaware of how their money is actually being spent. Most all of the "County Projects" such as the horse arena and the communtiy center were developed behind the scenes. The taxpayers of Smith County did not have any voice in such projects. Our county is going bankrupt.You can't keep taking cookies out of the cookie jar and expect to have anything left.
Smith County Resident

Huntsville, AL

#3 Jun 19, 2006
Can you believe the latest horse XXXX coming from the Mayors Office in Smith County.

The County has received a tremendous amount of money in grants. Some people say around 7 million dollars. No one appears to understand that the grants are only partial funding for projects the County has deemed the good residents NEED like a Horse Arena with a Farmers Market to be hidden next to it.

I for one believe the Mayor and Commissioners are trying to hide this fact from the good citizens by laying the Counties problems on the Sheriff. BUNK I say. The County has known for over 8 years that a new jail would be needed. The County has deemed it appropriate to ignore this. The Sheriff had to sue the County and the County has cut the Sheriff’s budget (I believe it is the same now for at least a couple of years) hmm no wonder there is a shortfall.
Certain items cannot be budgeted such as inmate medical expenses, food and who would have guessed the rise in fuel prices not to mention the cost of operating an old building.
Let’s see – Taxes were raised for the schools. And not just one County High School but 2 of them. Really amazing and so we then need a wheel tax – again that’s to pay for the new Schools. Then they wanted a wheel tax on Motorcycles – and yes it was for the Schools again.

Could it possibly be the Schools as well as all of this new construction that has us in a budget problem? I wonder if getting new businesses such as the alleged Super Wal-mart would have helped to pay for the Schools, Horse Arena, Senior Citizens Center, Farmers Market and of course who can forget the Welcome Center.

What do you all think????
Smith County Resident

Huntsville, AL

#4 Jul 19, 2006
Finally some one has put in writing the School Budget. 19 million dollars. I heard that Nashville , Hermitage to be specific only has a school budget 0f 42 million. Is our community that large?
Hmm if it is that large no wonder there is a law suit for additional deputies. I guess the mayor and commisioners would rather let the citizens fend for themselves while the special groups go horse back riding or have special field days at the new facilities sprouting up this year so close to elections. Wonder if that was a plan. Also new business hmm so close to election when they have been trying for what 3 years and 11 months. Hmm just what the Mayor and Commisioners want the citizens to believe. Read the entire paper with an open mind and you'll see that what the Commisioners and County Mayor have been serving ain't beenie weenies.

Since: Apr 07

Smith County, Tennessee

#5 Apr 6, 2007
Could the 19 million be to cover the salaries of all the family members we have running OUR schools? The Smith County School System does not belong to the residents or students of Smith County; it belongs to the families holding the golden key. The taxpayers are just covering the bill. Our schools are being run by families. Want to complain, try complaining about someone’s husband, wife, aunt, uncle, brother, sister or father. If you don’t believe me try to go into our public schools and ask a question, better yet call Roger Lewis. You will find out real quick who controls the school system, its not us the tax payers or us the parents.

I think it is time for the residents of Smith County to stop whining about all the garbage that goes on in OUR COUNTY and stand up and make some changes. Take the time to see who appoints the people we have to live with. We need some strong leaders in this county that are going to make a difference and buck the system.

“Incredible”

Since: Apr 07

C-town

#6 May 2, 2007
I met the new sheriff the last time I came back to smith county. Menacing figure. What's his name...Walking Small! OK, sorry! Seriously, it's going to take some folks with the guts to stand up and get the rest of the county behind them to put a stop to it. All the BS that goes on in the county govt is the big reason I chose not to move back to SC.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Smith County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
shiroki Apr '15 shiroki 2
Buffalo valley drywall Apr '15 bamaboy 1
micky gibbs Feb '15 what 2
anyone seen a ogre (Jun '13) Jan '15 Ogre 4
firefighter Dec '14 firefighter 1
Smith County Rescue Squad (Apr '10) Dec '14 firefighter 3
Smith County Music Thread (Sep '13) Dec '14 Musikologist 6
More from around the web