Shelbyville police officer not indicted in death of 18-year-old

Jan 4, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WAVE-TV Louisville

SHELBYVILLE, KY - A Shelby County grand jury has declined to indict the Shelbyville police officer who shot and killed 18-year-old Trey Williams.

Comments
1 - 20 of 41 Comments Last updated Nov 11, 2012
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
great news

Jeffersonville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2012

anyone really think she would be? good job. hurry up and get back to work.
Justice

Shelbyville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2012

I knew it wouldn't happen. I wish her the best as I know she is struggling with this. Best wishes to officer Marcum.
Andy Taylor

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

Justice wrote:
I knew it wouldn't happen. I wish her the best as I know she is struggling with this. Best wishes to officer Marcum.
I think if the house would have been surrrounded that it could have tured out differ and verbal talk could have just figured out that the boy was related and staying there. I to when i was youger been staying at Grandmaw and got locked out of the house and i was able to get insude threw a window. Gosh i sure didn't think about getting shot. I to know this Susan and she should have never been invloved with this kind of situation. The Police force is running around and some of them shouldn't have a badge on. Or at least make them take a stress test before they are turned loose with a firearm. and if they don't do good they don't need that gun. I know they have some kind of trainning but it's not enough. it's everywhere. I think they assumed he was a killer? why else would you kill a human being?. freidly fire? One thing to rememeber is that the Police kill a hell of a lot of people and they don't convicted with murder. I would think that if a cop had to shoot someone that wasn't shooting back that they should have never fired that weapon. Guns is a deadly weapon and if i was to fire mine at someone that it would have been for the reason that someone was shooting at me. But what the hell do i know? it's better to have a gun and not need it than to not have a gun and need it. I grew up with guns all around me. And never once did a gun try to shoot me. People kill people.
Sad But True

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

She is a good police officer and everyone knows she did the correct thing in shooting Trey. He had her partner on the ground assaulting him with a steel pipe. Would you have just surounded the house and let Trey beat and possible murder your partner? It is sad that a young man died but the blame should not be put on the police officer when Trey could have stopped the assault and surrendered.
Simple Organism

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

I believe this is a trajedy. A plague on both houses. A family haunted by the loss. A woman who deep within herself knows she did what she did, can't take it back but wishes she could.

We all sit in judgement upon her and him both. Yet who are we to judge anyone?

As a friend to both families I cannot help but remove myself from judgement and just be there for both. Its difficult to balance how you feel. Your gut tells you to take a side. What matters is that you follow what your heart tells you. What's done is done and cannot be changed. Learn to accept that, then learn to cope best you can.

All these questions I read everywhere about how he or she lived their life before this situation. How did we arrive to this situation? Could she have done anything different? Was he out of his mind? Was a pipe being used? Did they try other means of force first? Did she HAVE to use her firearm?

Those questions evoke answers far and wide that divide and separate us as a community and as a people.

The one question, the ONLY question that matters is, how can we, as a people and community, come closer together and move forward? How can we stand back up to our feet and see that we all need to change what's in ourselves before we take another step. There's a million reasons for us to all be separate. Its up to YOU to find ONE reason to unite.
Andy Taylor

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Sad But True wrote:
She is a good police officer and everyone knows she did the correct thing in shooting Trey. He had her partner on the ground assaulting him with a steel pipe. Would you have just surounded the house and let Trey beat and possible murder your partner? It is sad that a young man died but the blame should not be put on the police officer when Trey could have stopped the assault and surrendered.
How can you surrender when they stormed in the house. If Trey would have shot the officer than the outcome would have been differnt. But as we all know that we are allowed to shot someone if they break in a house so there is no differnt with this. What the heck is the differnt between a pipe and Gun HUH? I to know this officer and you say she is a good officer well does a good officer get drunk with the public and hang out in places like bars and Clubs and get so drunk that she passes out in chairs Huh! This is what i know. People with badges don't live like everyone else. they are in the public eye and they are sworn to envorcing the law. It doesn't mean when you clock out that you can just do what ever. I still stand with my comment and if you all can't really see the truth than i am wasting my time. I could never be a cop but if the cops showed up at my house because of some call they received by someone calling and if and when they showed up and if they enterd my house without knocking and letting me know who they was then they might end up shot. Then i would go to jail for a very long time that is what would happen .
Andy Taylor

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Simple Organism wrote:
I believe this is a trajedy. A plague on both houses. A family haunted by the loss. A woman who deep within herself knows she did what she did, can't take it back but wishes she could.
We all sit in judgement upon her and him both. Yet who are we to judge anyone?
As a friend to both families I cannot help but remove myself from judgement and just be there for both. Its difficult to balance how you feel. Your gut tells you to take a side. What matters is that you follow what your heart tells you. What's done is done and cannot be changed. Learn to accept that, then learn to cope best you can.
All these questions I read everywhere about how he or she lived their life before this situation. How did we arrive to this situation? Could she have done anything different? Was he out of his mind? Was a pipe being used? Did they try other means of force first? Did she HAVE to use her firearm?
Those questions evoke answers far and wide that divide and separate us as a community and as a people.
The one question, the ONLY question that matters is, how can we, as a people and community, come closer together and move forward? How can we stand back up to our feet and see that we all need to change what's in ourselves before we take another step. There's a million reasons for us to all be separate. Its up to YOU to find ONE reason to unite.
and i want to say to you that you sound so stupid.Do you want to save the world and lets everyone just get along. We will all hold hands and sing a song to the world so everyone knows that we are good and we just want to love
Now that is some stupid shit this world is rough and hell is everywhere and we all just try to survive. You better get a gun and load up the world gonna get rougher
Sad But True

Barnesville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

They did use a tazer on him numerous times but it had no effect on him and there was a steel, iron, lead whatever type of metal pipe with Officer Willoughbys blood on it from where Trey had hit him with it and Officer Marcum used the correct force to stop her partner from getting murdered. You are the one who brought up the subject of sorrounding the house and talking Trey into surrendering if you look at your first post, but when your partner is getting beat down with a pipe you dont run out of the house and wait for backup, hell yes use deadly force to stop the sonofabitch!
Both officers have to live with what happened just like Treys family does also. By the way they was responding to a possible burglary in process so they had the right to enter the home.
Sad But True

Barnesville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Andy you need to go talk to Aunt Bea and ask her for some serious advice
By the way it was not Treys home, it was his grandmothers and he broke through a window to gain entry, sure as hell sounds like a burgarly to me.
Actually if they dont knock and they just bust the door down without identifying themselves then you would have the right to shoot them without been charged.
Marcum is also a person and if she wants to drink a few or bunch of beer that is her choice as long as she has a way home and doesnt drive drunk.
Simple Organism

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Andy Taylor wrote:
<quoted text> and i want to say to you that you sound so stupid.Do you want to save the world and lets everyone just get along. We will all hold hands and sing a song to the world so everyone knows that we are good and we just want to love
Now that is some stupid shit this world is rough and hell is everywhere and we all just try to survive. You better get a gun and load up the world gonna get rougher
I have three guns, I practice weekly at shooters roost and I'm never out of ammo.

That being said, its not my neighbors that I feel threatened by. Its anyone who gives me reason to feel threatened to begin with. Sad that such can't be said for every man. We cast judgement at every turn in life it seems.

You can call me foolish, or delusional if you choose to but the fact is, I'm right. I forgive you for calling me stupid because you're just not ready to open your eyes. I'm looking only for a solution, a change, some sort of resolve. You aren't prepared for that much yet. You haven't evolved enough and I mean that both sincerely and as no disrespect to you.

You have your mind opened half way. I say that because you have picked a side. A fully open mind would show you that taking sides is not a solution. Its a contribution to keeping a division among our community. Step on over here to the brighter side of things. We aren't at war with our neighbors. Where I'm at, my neighbors don't have color, creed, race, ethnicity, badges or bullies. We only have open arms and helping hands. No stab wounds bleeding from our backs. We are just friends with good intentions. It starts with respect to one another and grows from there. I planted my seeds many moons ago and in todays times I know I will never have to fear a single person or profession when I set foot outside my home. My neighbors, my friends they have my back, tried and true. I pay them the same reward in return. The fee is so affordable. Respect and dignity in return for the same. I can wave at every one of my neighbors and feel appreciated.

So lock your doors, roll your windows up and turn your nose toward the sky when you roll on by your fellow community members. They don't need you anyway right now. Eventually you'll need them, someone will answer and you will see the good I'm talking about. Only then will you get what I'm speaking of here.

This isn't about a god or religion. This is the simple nature of a good guy, with the best of intentions. By your reaction to my aforementioned statement it would seem you're more of a threat to yourself than I am to you. So calm down. This is just small talk buddy and I simply wanted to point out the error of your ways. Possibly even remedy you.
Sad But True

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

Well said Simple Organism, well said!
We all need to be more like you and see both sides of this tragic event that took a young mans life and that will be on two officers concious forever.
Andy Taylor

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

Sad But True wrote:
They did use a tazer on him numerous times but it had no effect on him and there was a steel, iron, lead whatever type of metal pipe with Officer Willoughbys blood on it from where Trey had hit him with it and Officer Marcum used the correct force to stop her partner from getting murdered. You are the one who brought up the subject of sorrounding the house and talking Trey into surrendering if you look at your first post, but when your partner is getting beat down with a pipe you dont run out of the house and wait for backup, hell yes use deadly force to stop the sonofabitch!
Both officers have to live with what happened just like Treys family does also. By the way they was responding to a possible burglary in process so they had the right to enter the home.
like i said if someone was to enter my house and scared the hell out of me when i was thinking that no one was in there then hell yes i would have reacted the same way Trey did. I'm sure most of us would have but when the pea-ons are cops and don't have the skill and no how to react to a incident like this. Cops use force ever chance they get. And they live for such a thing. They want this kind of action. Cops are gun crazy and most shouldn't have a badge on. She should have stayed writing parking tickets. Now that's the way we all see it. Most Cops want you to run or fight first that makes it exciting for them. it was a simple incident that was treated and the outcome became deadly. So i guess no big deal they went about it the rightway BULL SHIT !
Sad But True

Barnesville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

The police was there to investigate a burgarly and when Trey attacked Willoughby with a lead pipe Marcum did what she had to do, can you not get that through your thick skull? If the police used force as often as you think then tell me when the last time other than Treys case that a police officer shot and killed someone in this city? The police are here to keep order and protect us from lawbreakers and they have a tough job and from your attitude you could never be a police officer. Notice Treys family have kept the autopsy report secret, makes you wonder what they found in his system, doesnt it?
crazy

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2012

I didnt know Trey to well but i know he didnt deserve to die.@ sad but true you must be a pig to keep defending them like you do. My question to you what if that was your child and they killed him/her how would you feel? Marcum is a nice person but i still believe they couldve avoided killing him. The say police officers are trained well but i do believe that if the boy was white the situation wouldve been a whole lot different. The po pos are racist. I dont believe marcum is but the rest are. Shelbyvile police officers if they had their way no black ppl would be in this town. So what they do to eliminate them kill or throw them in jail when there are white ppl out here doing the same or worst. Since the pigs have badges they feel thet are untouchable. They was giving that badge to make us feel safe but when i see them they always looking down on ppl. I would feel safer if all of them gave up their position. The police can't be trusted. We need officers that dont see color and everyone is treated fairly.
smdh

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2012

Sad But True wrote:

why would he break in his grandmothers home which he use to live there and he stayed there often. I dont wish death on anyone nor do i believe marcum is a bad person but i do wonder if it was one of the polices family they would make sure justice was served. The police force need to get it togather.
Thunderbolt

Jeffersonville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2012

smdh wrote:
<quoted text>
why would he break in his grandmothers home which he use to live there and he stayed there often. I dont wish death on anyone nor do i believe marcum is a bad person but i do wonder if it was one of the polices family they would make sure justice was served. The police force need to get it togather.
Don't believe Marcum is a bad person you say.I suppose that "good" people per se will,,,after they torture a man with electricity,,,and plug him twice in the chest with a fire-arm of some description because he didn't appreciate it,,,will be nice enough to ask a fellow lackey if "she" can have permission to shoot him again,,,and put him out of his misery.All that aside,if you don't believe that she's a bad person,,,I truly hope you don't believe that she's a good person.In reality,I understand giving law enforcement a very wide parameter with their discretion and authorization.However,allowing that to stretch out and grant immunity to all law officers for cold blooded murder is insane.Lunacy in it's purest form.
Thunderbolt

Jeffersonville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2012

Sad But True wrote:
Gonna have to call you on this one bro'.The video I saw showed a severely hurt young man that had already been subdued,,,doing the crappie-flop,,,in about nine different positions on the floor.Closer observation showed what appeared to be two very eager,very sadistic,and very unprofessional police officers,,,and one of them asking,"can I shoot him again?",or something to that effect. Proves what can happen when you let kids judge the kids who let things go wrong when they're baby-sitting other kids I suppose.However,if I ain't seein' something correctly,then by all means,,,lay it out.
Sad But True

Barnesville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2012

I saw the video and the bastard was striking Willoughby and Marcum did the right thing and that is all i will say about this subject. If he lived there why did he not just go through the door with his key instead of breaking out a window and going through it? He attacked the officers and they protected themselves by first tazing him and when the jacked up monkeyface didnt go down and continued his attack they was forced to shoot.
Thunderbolt

Jeffersonville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2012

Sad But True wrote:
I saw the video and the bastard was striking Willoughby and Marcum did the right thing and that is all i will say about this subject. If he lived there why did he not just go through the door with his key instead of breaking out a window and going through it? He attacked the officers and they protected themselves by first tazing him and when the jacked up monkeyface didnt go down and continued his attack they was forced to shoot.
Wasn't any such thing on the video I saw.Point blank brother,Ive got three points to make.One-your officers were in the wrong.Two-you're a moron for supporting them.Three-the only monkey-face I saw on the video,,,was the one doing the shooting.
Sad But True

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2012

I saw Trey hitting Willoughby on the video considering the camera on the tazer points at the suspect and not at the person using the tazer. I never knew Trey and personally I am happy that I didnt and have only met both officers a couple of times and both seemed like good people.
First they are not my police, second we must have viewed two different videos and third, blacks do look like monkeys in the face.
I am a white man and not racist but from the facts that I have seen and testimony I heard Marcum had no choice but to do what she did.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Shelby County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Disciples of the New Dawn Sun viewsarethesame 1
Shelby County Music Thread (Jul '13) Jul '14 Musikologist 4
Couple accused of extorting police officer (Dec '13) Dec '13 haha 1
Election 2014: Grimes' pitch to Shelby, repeat ... (Dec '13) Dec '13 whiz 2
Search on for mystery creature that chews up ea... (Dec '12) Nov '13 Black Panthers 5
3 arrested at Theatair X during afternoon under... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Abusement Park 1
Shelbyville woman says her dog was shot by sher... (Jun '11) Nov '13 Yours truly 34

Search the Shelby County Forum:
•••