Church mourns loss of pastor

Church mourns loss of pastor

There are 83 comments on the Portsmouth Daily Times story from Oct 10, 2011, titled Church mourns loss of pastor. In it, Portsmouth Daily Times reports that:

Daily Times Police and EMS crews responded to Bigelow Church on Monday after Pastor Steven Schueren was found dead in the church.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Portsmouth Daily Times.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Sad

Marion, OH

#1 Oct 10, 2011
That is so sad! Wonder what happened?

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#2 Oct 10, 2011
He hanged himself.
DrNO

Cardington, OH

#3 Oct 10, 2011
This is really sad. Sincere condolences.
huh

Columbus, OH

#4 Oct 11, 2011
i wouldnt go to that curch
be kind

United States

#5 Oct 11, 2011
huh wrote:
Sounds like you need to go somewhere or at least talk to God about your heart. If you don't have something nice to say don't say it. Remember this could be someone you care about.
be kind

United States

#6 Oct 11, 2011
huh wrote:
Prayers for the family and church
family

Dublin, OH

#7 Oct 11, 2011
Does anyone know what church it was?
Sara Daniels

Marion, OH

#8 Oct 11, 2011
Bigelow Church on Washington St
Hellbound

Marion, OH

#9 Oct 11, 2011
I thought that churches taught that killing yourself is a one way ticket to hell?
The Anti Crybaby

Laura, OH

#10 Oct 11, 2011
I wonder what the guy did 2 make him wanna hang his self? I thought killing yourself got U a 1 way trip 2 the hot house.
DrNO

Cardington, OH

#11 Oct 11, 2011
The article stated he had been dealing with depression. Depression can make a person do something they normally would not do.
hoosierguy

Fort Wayne, IN

#12 Oct 12, 2011
I knew Steve well when he served here in Indiana.
He was a good man who had bouts of severe depression that he was being treated for. As DrNo said depression can make someone do things that they wouldnt normally do.I for one will miss him as he was probably one of the best pastors I ever had.
OhNo

Marion, OH

#13 Oct 12, 2011
Self Survival is #1 Human Instinct. Your brain & body does EVERYTHING for survival. If you are to kill yourself, this proves that you are not in your right mind.
Most people have actually considered suicide. But we have the mind to stop it.
I didn't know the preacher or his family. But you know that Satan is laughing his butt off!
Yes

Van Wert, OH

#14 Oct 12, 2011
My sympathy to all.
All these pharmaceuticals that doctors prescribe will cause people to do this.
Check his prescriptions and the side effects it is probably on there.
These pharmaceutical companies are the blame.They are killing more people than healing them.

Since: Jul 11

There & here

#15 Oct 12, 2011
Yes wrote:
Check his prescriptions and the side effects it is probably on there...They are killing more people than healing them.
Yes/no. Most people who are depressed do not have the energy to do anything about it. One of the problems with depression is lack of motivation.
The anti-depressants work in two ways. Initially, it helps with motivation. The help with the emotional part of the depression takes longer to take effect.
What happens is people get their motivation back before they get their balance back. The person now has the the energy to do something about the suicidal thoughts before the drug has time to help with the suicidal thoughts.

I was taught people who suffer depression and commit suicide are not in their right mind, they are mentally absent from their actions, and will be judged with compassion as their illness will be known and recognized.
My condolences to the family and congregation.
the worm

United States

#16 Oct 12, 2011
was he depressed or did he do something he knew he shouldnt of done.he really wasnt a man of god he just comitted murder.remeber the ten commandments thou sha not kill
portsmouthstinks

United States

#17 Oct 12, 2011
the worm wrote:
was he depressed or did he do something he knew he shouldnt of done.he really wasnt a man of god he just comitted murder.remeber the ten commandments thou sha not kill
You are an idiot. A family just lost a big piece to their puzzle. I am personally friends with his daughter and son. This is a very tough time so please keep your idiotic thoughts to yourself. He was a man of god! being depressed can really change a person and is not a subject to be dealt with lightly. God bless this family and their pain. Help them find some comfort in this time of need.
the worm

United States

#18 Oct 12, 2011
portsmouthstinks wrote:
<quoted text>
You are an idiot. A family just lost a big piece to their puzzle. I am personally friends with his daughter and son. This is a very tough time so please keep your idiotic thoughts to yourself. He was a man of god! being depressed can really change a person and is not a subject to be dealt with lightly. God bless this family and their pain. Help them find some comfort in this time of need.
a fact is a fact deal with it.murder is murder even if you do it to yourself
Noo

United States

#19 Oct 12, 2011
portsmouthstinks wrote:
<quoted text>
Please do not even acknowledge them when they make dumb comments. That just encourages them to make more.
So sad

United States

#20 Oct 12, 2011
I have been down like that before. The world seems so dark, and it's hard to see the possibility that you could ever be happy again. I can understand what he did, even though I personally don't approve of it. God was the only light in my life at times. He is what I clung to, and He is what brought me through. May God carry this family through this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scioto County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Guy in wheel chair by long john's silvers Oct 27 Beat 2
Mike Mearan Law Firm (his employee) Brittney Ni... Oct 25 Big Daddy 2
News Board of DD plans tax renewal meeting (Feb '11) Sep '17 chickenjane 239
Scioto DD Sep '17 chickenjane 1
Yard sale Sep '17 Lynn1982 1
Efferdent (Sep '16) Sep '17 Hmmm 2
scioto county daily news Aug '17 Guesswork 2
More from around the web