Board of DD plans tax renewal meeting

Board of DD plans tax renewal meeting

There are 238 comments on the Portsmouth Daily Times story from Jan 30, 2011, titled Board of DD plans tax renewal meeting. In it, Portsmouth Daily Times reports that:

The Scioto County Board of Developmental Disabilities is trying to decide whether to put the renewal of their tax levy on the May or November ballot, and they are looking for input at Monday night's special meeting to help them decide.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Portsmouth Daily Times.

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Scam

Dallas, TX

#1 Feb 1, 2011
As a tax payer, my vote is "NO"!!!
Mrs Kingery

Marion, OH

#2 Feb 1, 2011
They tax the shit out of us now and can't. Put a Mayoral Election on the ballot. Let us Elect our own Mayor stop putting in who u all want!!
OMG

Marion, OH

#3 Feb 3, 2011
I vote YES!!! Why would anyone vote no to helping the most needy people in our area. Like it is really costing you alot you probably spend that much a day on cigarettes or pop. The Handicapped kids and adults need their school and the workshop and other services provided from the funding. I hope that you dont find yourself in the position of needing services for yourself or a family member, but what if you do and it is not there for you? How about having a heart for the ones that do!!!!
OMG

Marion, OH

#4 Feb 3, 2011
ALSO, I am a taxpayer!!!!
burgman

Marion, OH

#5 Feb 3, 2011
THERE IS SITCH A THING A CUTTING BACK U CANT TELL ME THAT CANT B DONE
mommy

Marion, OH

#6 Feb 3, 2011
If you look at your property taxes, if you actually own property, you will see the amount given to the MRDD is minimal. My child needed these sevices for a speech delay. I don't mind helping those who are incapable of helping themselves. I mind helping those who can and won't!
mommy

Marion, OH

#7 Feb 3, 2011
Cut back the retirement we pay to trustees after only a few years of services. Cut city workers using city vehicles for personal use. Cut unnecessary spending and abuse of services. Don't cut services for those who actually benefit and improve their quality of life.
Parent Of DD Student

Marion, OH

#8 Feb 3, 2011
I have a child In the DD Program. I can tell you from experience that these children need these services. My son has Down's Syndrome, and has been in the program since he was 3 years old. He is 20 now and has achieved sooooo much from going to school there. He loves his school and everyone in it. My son could have never went to a regular school. They need this money and the kids really need their services. God placed these special people in the world for a reason and we need to show the compassion that is needed to take care of his special people. I pray everyone will search their hearts and do what is right because one never knows when the services available will be needed by one of their own!!!!
Slim

Columbus, OH

#9 Feb 3, 2011
Scioto COunty DD offers many great services that most do not know about, such as: the school. Most DD Boards across the state does not have a school. Therefore, those students are in the public schools of the district they live in.
Furthermore, they also provide bus services to and from school. Once again this is not required; it is up to the school district that they child lives.
Given these two factors alone should be enough for voters to pass this levy.
Taxpayer

Marion, OH

#10 Feb 3, 2011
While I agree that the children and adults who utilize the DD facilities need those services, I find it appalling that they are asking for money when the average taxpayer is already strapped financially. Instead of asking for money, maybe they should look to making cuts within their own house first. The company I work for had to make the decision to eliminate raises this year and search for less expensive health care alternatives. This decision was not what the employees wanted. However, in these financially turbulent times, it was a painfully necessary decision that had to be made in order to keep the company in the black. And that was with my employer taking a large profit loss. And while you may feel that the tax levy is a small amount, one must also consider that according to my tax bill sitting next to me, the DD board is getting around 6% and the equally deserving elderly are only getting .4% of each landowner's taxes.

So no, it isn't that I have a problem with helping fund the services for the DD board, I have a problem with the feelings of entitlement that seem to be the common theme of the pro levy contingent. Look within to make up the loss before asking the taxpayers for money.
what the heii

Marion, OH

#11 Feb 3, 2011
This place is nothing more than a babysitting service so the lazy welfare skanks can go out and do their thing while the taxpayer pays again.

Make these lazy turds take care of their kids after all they only had them to make more money on welfare and more food stamps.

shut the place down they do nothing productive but shred news papers.
overhere

Marion, OH

#12 Feb 3, 2011
For your information my mom n dad work for a living and a woman came to our house to help my sister talk cause she has speech delay not everyone who use their services are like thy so check your facts before you say something
boohooo

Marion, OH

#13 Feb 3, 2011
overhere wrote:
For your information my mom n dad work for a living and a woman came to our house to help my sister talk cause she has speech delay not everyone who use their services are like thy so check your facts before you say something
cry me a river mother fudger whos paying for all them free services and the crook that runs the place makes over a hundred thousand dollars a year for nothing.
overhere

Marion, OH

#14 Feb 3, 2011
That's doesn't have anything to do with the kids that use those services esp. my little sister. She needed them so she could talk. You cant blame that one the kids.
overhere

Marion, OH

#15 Feb 3, 2011
And by the way my parents do pay their taxes so basically they are paying for my sisters services with the board of DD. What if a family member of yours need them?
Mommy

Marion, OH

#16 Feb 3, 2011
They are not asking for a new tax, read the topic, renewal is what is says. Not new, not raised, renewed. The money I paid in taxes is enough to pay the salary for one teacher.
Taxpayer

Marion, OH

#17 Feb 3, 2011
what the heii wrote:
This place is nothing more than a babysitting service so the lazy welfare skanks can go out and do their thing while the taxpayer pays again.
Make these lazy turds take care of their kids after all they only had them to make more money on welfare and more food stamps.
For your information, the DD board serves people of all socioeconomic classes. I can't imagine someone purposely having a special needs child in order to draw a check as you so naively believe. The Star Workshop and Vern Riffe School serve an important need in the community.

That being said, I will still vote no for the renewal because it was supposed to cover expenses for a time and then end. I think it is time for the administration to give up a few perks before asking the taxpayers to shoulder the responsibility. the cost of groceries, gas, utilities and clothing have sky rocketed and the average tax payer does not have anyone to ask for assistance to help bail them out. They have to tighten the purse strings and eliminate things from their household budget in order to make ends meet. Its time for the DD board to do the same. Maybe then I the public at large would be more amenable to a tax renewal levy.
smartarse

Dublin, OH

#18 Feb 3, 2011
what the heii wrote:

whoa back up the BUS. I'd love to hear something like that in person so I could smack the taste out of your mouth!
boo

Van Wert, OH

#19 Feb 3, 2011
Cut your darn salaries!
FORMER SCIOTO NATIVE

Columbus, OH

#20 Feb 4, 2011
boo wrote:
Cut your darn salaries!
Like it has already been stated this is a renewal not a new one so nothing is being raised you go right on paying the same thing.

My son graduated from Vern Rife he is 32 years old he started back when it was known as Happy Hearts and he has more self esteem because of that school. It’s not a babysitting service as you claim. My son also has downs syndrome and can read and write and can talk plain and knows sign language. I don't even know sign language.

So before you write these kids off why don’t you go visit Vern Rife and see what they do there talk to the kids. Because I guarantee you it will be an eye opener. And you just might make some long time friends.

The teachers are the best they take our little imperfect children who everyone else has written off as useless and they teach them where others said they could not be taught. And they make them working TAX paying adults. Yes the Kids that work at star work shop get paid and pay taxes the same as you all do but I’m sure if they go vote they will be voting yes

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scioto County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lucasville man charged with rape (Apr '11) Jun 27 Roscoe 82
News Alan Lemons sworn-in as magistrate (Jan '11) Jun '16 know 8
gossip (Mar '10) Apr '16 citizens 2
News Scioto Co. Couple Wanted For - Flakka' Trafficking (Dec '15) Feb '16 Poser 3
News Teen Charged With Murdering Father In Scioto Co... (Mar '14) Feb '16 Joe Joe 64
Mother and daughter murdered in minford area. (Jan '16) Jan '16 Mad as hell 1
News Pain pill use cut 13 percent (Mar '12) Jan '16 No snob 22
More from around the web