NY budget deal calls for closing 3 pr...

NY budget deal calls for closing 3 prison camps

There are 9 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 30, 2009, titled NY budget deal calls for closing 3 prison camps. In it, Newsday reports that:

The state budget negotiated by New York 's Democratic leaders would close three minimum security prison camps upstate and shutter a once prominent investigative agency established in the 1950s.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Community Member

Syracuse, NY

#1 Mar 30, 2009
I heard Gabriels is at almost 50% capacity and McGregor is already closed. I don't understand how you can close prisons in an area that needs this industry. Money should be saved by looking at the fact that heads of various State departments are given vehicles which includes gas and maintenance. I don't understand how the Department of Correctional Services gets these outdated figures and why they don't seem to be supporting all of their facilities.
Crime is not down - sentencing is. Why are we getting softer on certain criminals?
It seems that we have the space so what's the issue? Are the County jails getting support from judges and giving them back to back less than one year sentences? Or is it that criminals are being sent to medium facilites instead of camps? I guess it's a little bit of both...
Bill Conners

Jackson Heights, NY

#2 Mar 30, 2009
I can see why they would get rid of the SIC - heaven forbid they keep someone around who might catch them with their hand in the cookie jar.
Pops

United States

#3 Apr 2, 2009
I'm glad I left NY years ago! I can't believe that they are actually trying to cut budgets of places that protect us from people that have no respect for the law!!! WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE???
youngin

Middleville, NY

#4 Apr 3, 2009
Our Governor doesn't care about anything, thats what is wrong
The Doors open

Coram, NY

#5 Apr 3, 2009
Pops wrote:
I'm glad I left NY years ago! I can't believe that they are actually trying to cut budgets of places that protect us from people that have no respect for the law!!! WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE???
We like to vote Democrat.
Pops

United States

#6 Apr 4, 2009
Well, my sister and brother-in-law live in NY. He has been a guard at one of the prisons being closed down! He has worked for the prison system for over 10 years...I'm not really sure how much over 10 years. Now, if they close his prison, he will either have to take a transfer to where ever they decide to transfer him to...requiring him to rent an apartment and live away from his wife and 3 year old child all week and only see them on his days off! But Florida has it's albatrosses also! We have cut education so much our youth is going to suffer tremendously!
lol

Wyckoff, NJ

#7 Apr 4, 2009
It is all coming apart.
One ate hundred fish

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Apr 4, 2009
It's nice to know that if they don't throw non violent criminals in jail, Judges, D.A.s and the courts have cut their services... Some system !!
Pops

United States

#9 Apr 6, 2009
It figures they cut the budget to protect NY residents instead of cutting their RIDICULOUS SALARIES! I want to be a "PUBLIC SERVANT" and make 6 figures! Yeah, we need a raise. Let's let some prisoners out early! What's happening to our country?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Saratoga County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Some concerned after 16 undocumented immigrants... Jun '17 spytheweb 2
News Mechanicville man arrested, accused of child po... (Dec '13) Apr '17 Ashley 2
Saratoga County Arrest Mugshots and Criminal Re... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Clara 2
News Clifton Park ZBA approves new Market 32 vote (Sep '15) Oct '15 Mayor P 3
News Clifton Park ZBA being sued over its votes on M... (Aug '15) Oct '15 Mayor P 2
News LaQuinta Inn & Suites latest hotel targeting Cl... (Jul '15) Oct '15 Mayor P 4
News Chamber moving to a downtowna Clifton Park (Jun '15) Oct '15 Mayor P 2
More from around the web