No Smoking for Teachers In Escambia C...

No Smoking for Teachers In Escambia County

There are 6 comments on the MSNBC story from Jun 22, 2011, titled No Smoking for Teachers In Escambia County. In it, MSNBC reports that:

New hires will have to prove that they have not used tobacco products within the last six months.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MSNBC.

Michael Warren

Santa Rosa Beach, FL

#1 Jun 23, 2011
Ok so when does this become discrimination?whats next if you drink alcohol or if you drink energizer drinks or if you ride a motorcycle or fly an airplane or whatever,you can't be hired because there is a risk that something might happen,or if you get sick more than once or twice a year you cant be hired.when does it stop.will we be looking at another form of prohibition?It is illegal to discriminate against race,religion,or sexual orientation but not against smoking.We already pay higher taxes per pack,cannot smoke in public buildings (and are provided SMALL smoking areas if we can smoke on premises)and in some states we cannot smoke in our own homes.I can understand a slightly higher premium but come on people.
ThomasA

Wattsville, AL

#2 Jun 27, 2011
Michael Warren wrote:
Ok so when does this become discrimination?whats next if you drink alcohol or if you drink energizer drinks or if you ride a motorcycle or fly an airplane or whatever,you can't be hired because there is a risk that something might happen,or if you get sick more than once or twice a year you cant be hired.when does it stop.will we be looking at another form of prohibition?It is illegal to discriminate against race,religion,or sexual orientation but not against smoking.We already pay higher taxes per pack,cannot smoke in public buildings (and are provided SMALL smoking areas if we can smoke on premises)and in some states we cannot smoke in our own homes.I can understand a slightly higher premium but come on people.
Come on,.... you're grabbing at straws. There are no laws that say you can't smoke in your h o u s e other than pure old common sense about choking your children with poisonous smoke.. There are laws about smoking in some apartmants where common areas are shared because the smoke affects the other residents. Because of the known medical hazards of smoking, a company should either have the right to not hire you or not to to include you on the company insurance because of your disregard of you own health.If you choose to cause medical problems, th other employees should not have to pay for your bad lifestyle. Public building should not have to provide smoking areas because the smoke will still filter out into the commons area. Then the stench is still in your clothes and on your hands......Yuck! I applaud the move by many courthouses and public building that require you to be fifteen to twenty feet away from the door,rain or shine. Then people don't have to walk through the cloud and odor to get to the door. Cigarettes are going to keep going up. Instead of bitching on Topix, why not try to cut back or quit and put that wasted money in your gas tank.
ThomasA

Wattsville, AL

#3 Jun 28, 2011
Spell check gone wild ; apartments and the, Sorry
ThomasB

United States

#4 Oct 7, 2011
ThomasA wrote:
<quoted text>Come on,.... you're grabbing at straws. There are no laws that say you can't smoke in your h o u s e other than pure old common sense about choking your children with poisonous smoke.. There are laws about smoking in some apartmants where common areas are shared because the smoke affects the other residents. Because of the known medical hazards of smoking, a company should either have the right to not hire you or not to to include you on the company insurance because of your disregard of you own health.If you choose to cause medical problems, th other employees should not have to pay for your bad lifestyle. Public building should not have to provide smoking areas because the smoke will still filter out into the commons area. Then the stench is still in your clothes and on your hands......Yuck! I applaud the move by many courthouses and public building that require you to be fifteen to twenty feet away from the door,rain or shine. Then people don't have to walk through the cloud and odor to get to the door. Cigarettes are going to keep going up. Instead of bitching on Topix, why not try to cut back or quit and put that wasted money in your gas tank.
That it rite. enstead of bitchin on topix do like i do. i hardly ever bitch on topix. i know more than all u toads about rite and wrong. i dont waist my time hear on topix. i take action. i am a solder in the fite for my rite to make evry thing that i dont like illegal. i contacted my lawmakir about smokers meixicans, cubans loud childrin, hippie marywana smokers and uther undesirables that shuld be locked up or shot. enstead, u just smoke ciggartes and marywana an hide behin ur keeboard hear on topix. i better than all of u whot is rite and rong
Michael

AOL

#5 Mar 24, 2012
Some think that smokers only smoke to make non-smokers miserable. WRONG!!! Oh yes we want to give you'll cancer by blowing second hand smoke into your faces. If you believe that then I will sell you the three mile bridge for a cheap price. Smoking cigarettes is highly addictive and that is why I smoke. I personally hate everything about smoking but can not quit smoking. I have tried several different times. I need professional help but that takes money that I do not have. Look at the newest tv commercials on smoking. They are trying to scare smokers to stop, but most cannot just put them down and stop, some can. Everyone is different. So before you non-smokers run off with your gator, do research so you will know what you are talking about.

“Bagging groceries....”

Since: Mar 12

is child's play :)

#6 May 2, 2012
Michael wrote:
Some think that smokers only smoke to make non-smokers miserable. WRONG!!! Oh yes we want to give you'll cancer by blowing second hand smoke into your faces. If you believe that then I will sell you the three mile bridge for a cheap price. Smoking cigarettes is highly addictive and that is why I smoke. I personally hate everything about smoking but can not quit smoking. I have tried several different times. I need professional help but that takes money that I do not have. Look at the newest tv commercials on smoking. They are trying to scare smokers to stop, but most cannot just put them down and stop, some can. Everyone is different. So before you non-smokers run off with your gator, do research so you will know what you are talking about.
I tend to agree with that, in fact I saw a lady who was about two hundred pounds overweight making fun of a smoker the other night. She was harassing the heck out of the smoker and everyone was laughing about it. Evidently she was waiting for her spouse to park the car because eventually he arrived to be by her side to help her harass the smoker and he too was obese, more so than she was.

Why is it that in today's society we pick and choose what is bad for our children to see as a poor example? Teachers do not smoke in front of our children, but they certainly do go to school overweight and teach our children standing in front of them out of breath at times when they have just walked the long halls. Why is that okay but knowing that they smoke in the privacy of their own homes not okay? Where do we draw the line when it comes to discrimination and hide behind it calling it a detriment to our children as a poor example to health? Who decides what is better than another. How many teachers drink on a daily basis, even get drunk after work, some even have DUI's on their records... again, where do we draw the line? If we are going to say this is for the children's sake, then it should all be banned, no more bad habits for teacher's period. Otherwise, let teachers be the humans that they are when they are not at work.

I'm not taking up for smoker's in general. If you smoke, keep it away from others. But if you are an employer and you wish to ban smokers, then you better by golly ban all the other bad habits as well or you are discriminating.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Santa Rosa County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Experts suggest humane solution for feral cat p... Mar '17 Marian Brown 1
Santa Rosa County Mugshots and Criminal Arres... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Luke 2
News 'Runaway Mom' Brenda Heist now in Panhandle jail (May '13) Jun '16 Joe 3
lifeguard ambulance company (Jul '08) Dec '15 whocares 14
News 'Tis the season of the snake (May '15) May '15 Chipp 1
News Navarre incorporation makes ballot as straw poll (May '14) Mar '15 linda 2
News Construction on 250-unit Navarre apartment comp... (Dec '13) Mar '15 Concerned Citizen 4
More from around the web