Prosecutor wrong to hide officer's name

Prosecutor wrong to hide officer's name

There are 14 comments on the The Times Herald story from Mar 7, 2010, titled Prosecutor wrong to hide officer's name. In it, The Times Herald reports that:

The reluctance of Sanilac County authorities to name a police officer involved in a fatal shooting a week ago is mystifying.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Times Herald.

concerned

Kingston, MI

#1 Mar 8, 2010
It appears to me this may be an example of legal protection for those who may be above the law. Rather this police officer was right or wrong, a young man is dead. There are many groups of people who do many various jobs in this state. Is it not possible that this officer did not follow protocol or act in haste? Just because someone is a police officer, it does not mean they can be wrong. Even though there is a union, others in public service usually are not able to have their identities hidden when a possible crime has been commited. It seems to me that the public should have the right to know his name. I believe that this is a situation where the taxpayers of Sandusky not only should have a right to this officers name, but the details surrounding the reason for this investigation. So far, there has been no reason given for this officer to have been involved with this victim in the first place. What law was this young man breaking? Why was he on the side of the road? Was anyone with him? Was he having car trouble. How was this officer meeting his public to provide and carry out justice? Will justice be carried out for the victim of this shooting and his family? There are so many questions with no answers. Could it be there are possibly others who may come forward that have been intimidated by this officer if his name was given? This is truly a mystery that deserves to be resolved truthfully and honestly for the sake of Kent Kramer and his family.
Something is fishy

United States

#2 Mar 8, 2010
You hit the nail on the head. If this officer's name was released, I do believe many will come forward because they have been harrassed by this officer. I've heard many stories about this guy and how he wrongly treats people. He seems to have the attitude he is on duty to bully and dominate instead of protect and serve. Kent was a friendly, out-going guy. I know one of his friends and they said he doesn't remember Kent every getting in a fight. Now we are suppose to believe he went after a cop? I think the Sandusky Police dept. should be ashamed they kept this officer on with all the complaints they've had about him. Will those be made public record? Or will that be covered up? I just hope Kent's parents and sister can find peace. It is one thing to lose your son or brother. But to have him shot dead (when unarmed, no witnesses, and no details of what command he wasn't following to even be tasered - let alone shot) by a person who is suppose to be a trusted officer of peace makes you feel hopeless and sick.
help wanted

Cadillac, MI

#3 Mar 9, 2010
I think Kents family should give Jeffery Fieger a call.
the truth

Sandusky, MI

#4 Mar 10, 2010
help wanted wrote:
I think Kents family should give Jeffery Fieger a call.
Kent was a drunk who was moved to Sandusky after an intervention. He grew up thinking he could get away with anything and until that night he pretty much did.
help wanted

Cadillac, MI

#5 Mar 11, 2010
So shoot him???
learn the truth

United States

#6 Mar 13, 2010
the truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Kent was a drunk who was moved to Sandusky after an intervention. He grew up thinking he could get away with anything and until that night he pretty much did.
Did you know Kent. Do you know the family. Or are you a local redneck with out a brain. Just wondering.
jake22

Sandusky, MI

#7 Mar 14, 2010
it seems, since it is a cop involved crime, that the PROSECUTER has changed his tactics to that of a DEFENCE lawyer. Cops are only representatives of the law, here in Sanilac County they feel they ARE the law, and therefore exempt from prosecution. Like the cop that killed the motorcyclist, if u or i did that..........game over for prolly at least 10 years. Just checked out The Jeffersonian paper about the arsonist, they have what seems whole story about who what and how, so why is everything withheld from public about shooting........its because offence just turned to defence.
help wanted

Cadillac, MI

#8 Mar 15, 2010
Its very sad and unfortunate that a police officer was shot and killed in the line of duty a couple of weeks ago. The man who shot and killed him was Elvin Potts.His name was known to all within hours.
I don't get the double standards. Is this just the Sandusky operates?
Sanduskygoodoldb oysclub

United States

#9 Mar 24, 2010
Lets be honest and call this what it is. MURDER
Second Police cheif Cowley just had a meeting 2 months before this and the question was raised Who would handle it if something big happened? Cowley's responce as told by someone present at the meeting --It would have to be investigated by at least 2 county's over. Then This Ah can you say cover it up quick. How about the city's new personal video cams. Oh yeah it failed to work. How about the car cam? Oh yeah failed to work.
This little jerk of a cop was a hot head with out doubt I have heard it by the people he has treated like this. I have heard about what a super cop he thought he was by holding the record for the most drunk driving arrests and he is only part time. By the way this info comes from his fellow workers.Before the incident. Now you have Young as Judge and Jury. Bullet casings 30+ feet from the body? Shot at 10 times(emptied clip) Hit 4.
To the Crammer family I am sorry. I say none of this out of disrespect I say it out of anger. There is so much more to this. Sad that due to the way it is being handled it will likely never come to light. We live in a very corupt county where long ago to serve and protect went the way of the DoDo bird. I will say if there is ever any proff that this was covered in any way There are 2 heads that also should be tried as accesory to Murder.
jake22

Sandusky, MI

#10 Mar 24, 2010
well said sanduskygoololeboy, so much hidden from this story. I really wonder how, if some1s coming at u with intent to do great bodily harm, would ya really have time to shoot twice with a tazer and then draw a gun and fire 9 times. Just seems that if Kent was really that angered, this cop woulda only had enough time to shoot once with that tazer before Kent woulda been right on top of him. Pt. Huron a 17 yr old girl ran stop sign hit another vehicle and killed the driver. She is getting prosecuted for negligent homicide, reading story was like reading of cop here that made a u-turn and killed motorcyclist. The 17 yr old facing 2 yrs prison, the cop gets time off with pay!!!! WTH And the cop involved here, he prolly would be getting paid for his time off also if he was a full timer..And to have same department investigate is just a joke for justice, esp. when theyll pick and choose whats evidence and whats not. I wonder if this is why they say there was no video or audio from police car, that wipes out a major piece of evidence........Convienient or truth..... Im not a believer!!!!!

Since: Mar 10

United States

#11 Mar 26, 2010
This officer treats alot of people with disrespect even if they are trying to explain themselves. For example he would never get the full storiesfrom peole before he would interrupt them rudly and then try to get them charged for being disrespectful to law enforcement. he should have been gone already. and he is back on the job now. I found out from one of my friends and if you people really want to know the officers name it is the "short shit that, no good cop". His real name is Mintz
Something is fishy

United States

#12 Apr 4, 2010
the truth wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth is the police officer acted as Jesus, Judge and Jury that night. He took someone's life because they didn't listen to his commands. The cop has serious anger and control issues and now someone is dead and you think that is okay? Fine until it happens to your son, brother, uncle, or friend. Then I'm sure you would see things much different.
toast

Southfield, MI

#13 Jul 31, 2010
You must be a COP sucker.
the truth wrote:
<quoted text>
toast

Southfield, MI

#14 Jul 31, 2010
you must be a cop sucker

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sanilac County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wolf hunt bill circumvents the will of the peop... (Jan '17) Jan '17 Sarah Payette 1
7 white crosses on M19 (Oct '06) Jul '16 ann audet 7
News In this photo taken Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2013, Joe... (Jan '14) Jan '14 kuda 14
house fire in worth township (Dec '12) Dec '12 Patrick 2
News Man charged in Marie Warren case, fiancee' says... (Jul '11) Sep '12 unknowntowellknown 6
News Last known wildwolverine in Mich.has gone on tour (Jun '12) Jun '12 Ronnielee 1
News Sanilac County will issue bonds for jail (Feb '12) Feb '12 Concerned Citizen 1
More from around the web