Ohio Supreme Court tells county judge...

Ohio Supreme Court tells county judge to pick up the pace

There are 6 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from May 20, 2008, titled Ohio Supreme Court tells county judge to pick up the pace. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

POSTED: 03:06 p.m. EDT, May 20, 2008 The Ohio Supreme Court scolded a county judge today for taking too much time in ruling on cases before his court, some which languished for up to two years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

Anonymous

Avon Lake, OH

#1 May 20, 2008
Someone should check Judge Carroll's Trial docket in Lakewood, OH. At first the Clerk tried to place my Jury Trial on the Small Claims docket and continued to proceed with it as though it was a small claims matter, until I bitc_ed. To date, I'm still waiting for Judge Carroll's office to issue a jury trial schedule as of March 06.

And, I'm not the only jury trial plaintiff the Clerk has done this too. And the Magistrate's just play along. This has been going on for some time now! Which is why no one can look at a file unless you are a party to it. And you can't look it up on there web site either, wonder why?
suz

United States

#2 May 20, 2008
will I, too, be left in "legal limbo"?
A local Attorney

Mentor, OH

#3 May 20, 2008
There are a few Courts where cases do languish. However, it is quite rare. In fact, as someone with a litigation practice throughout the State I can tell you that one of the biggest problems I see is that many Courts err on the opposite side. They push for expediency at all costs, even when a given case requires time. they pride themselves on having "rocket dockets". This is not justice. The law is difficult enough to practice without having to deal with a shot clock.
Anonymous

Avon Lake, OH

#4 May 21, 2008
As someone who has worked in the system, I'm not at all surprised by this article. I've witnessed many courts that are excellent to work with and then there are others that many attorneys do not want to practice in because of the Clerk's attitude, lack of professionalism and lack of procedure's regarding filings, as well as Judge's who aren't capable of following the procedure's.
For the most part, if an attorney plays by the rules, the Clerk and Judge's have to, it's those who don't have a respect for the rules that cause a problem for the rest of us, or want to admit to it and correct, such as 'after the fact' as in the article.
Unamed Female

Galena, OH

#5 May 21, 2008
I have a child support case with him. It has been over 2 years now and still not settled. It would have been cheaper for me with all the lawyer costs, not to mention a time saver, if the other party would have agreed to a mediator. I've began to loose faith in the legal system. This is ridiculous!! What a waste of everyone's time and money. Including tax payers!
Bad Luck also

Lakewood, OH

#6 Apr 3, 2009
I just got told to 'hang on' for a garnishment because they were in the middle of renovating the court offices. They also said that they had hired a new person to handle these cases - not an advertised open position. Cronyism!! He's a drunk
lazy. He administors the law and then go condicending on you. He is not responsible, yet
you are to be responsible. He is destroying the good in Lakewood with his ways. LEAVE Lakwood while you can. Oh, If you want to stand a chance,
hire his buddy as a lawyer. This town is doomed.
Pack your bags!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sandusky County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sheriff Overmyer replaced Sheriff Gangwer who d... Aug '16 Babylonian 1
News Fremont woman charged for dragging donkey (Aug '12) Sep '15 Hangtheidiotshigh 4
News Bill would require Ohio coroners to be more inv... (Mar '14) Mar '14 ABMDI 1
News Filmmaker Ken Burns eyes Clyde Cancer Cluster (Oct '13) Oct '13 Connie Beekman 1
News Clyde man gets 15 years for abuse of girl, 5 (Sep '12) Sep '12 concerned mother 1
News for the Record (Jan '11) Mar '12 opinion 5
News for the Record (Sep '10) Sep '10 Angela 1
More from around the web