Homicide Rate Overwhelming Oakland Police

Feb 14, 2008 Full story: FOXReno 77

“There was biological evidence. There was physical evidence.”

A man was gunned down on the streets of Oakland late Monday, the 21st person killed in the East Bay city over the first 43 days of 2008 -- nearly double the 12 homicides at this time last year. via FOXReno

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Oct 07

San Jose, CA

#1 Feb 14, 2008
I was just telling hubby last week that it would be a record year. GO OAKLAND!!!:D :D
yeah

Fremont, CA

#2 Feb 14, 2008
Recall Ron Dellums and send his butt back to DC!
Oakland NEEDS more Cops NOW!
All My Boys

Newark, CA

#3 Feb 14, 2008
Oakland is a hole wrote:
I was just telling hubby last week that it would be a record year. GO OAKLAND!!!:D :D
Gee, what a great record to break! Lock your doors and don't get stuck at a red light...

San Jose, CA

#4 Feb 14, 2008
yeah wrote:
seriously.:|
Jay

Claremont, NH

#5 Feb 15, 2008
Homicide Rate Overwhelming Oakland Police

POSTED: 7:54 am PST February 12, 2008
UPDATED: 8:12 am PST February 12, 2008

OAKLAND, Calif.-- A man was gunned down on the streets of Oakland late Monday, the 21st person killed in the East Bay city over the first 43 days of 2008 -- nearly double the 12 homicides at this time last year.

The deadly surge has forced Oakland police chief Wayne Tucker to take several drastic steps. He reportedly was ready to ask city officials for $7.7 million to fund 60 additional officers to patrol the streets. Over the weekend, the police also staged a gun buy-back program.

Officials believed they may get some 300 weapons turned in for cash. Instead more than 1,000 weapons were turned in as lines stretched for several blocks. The size of the crowd drained the police coffers and IOUs had to be handed out.

Now the cash-strapped department is reportedly on the hook for $170,000.

Oakland police spokesman Roland Holmgren said many in the crowd were not even from Oakland.

There were some people who took advantage of the system," Holmgren told the Oakland Tribune. "We didn't expect to have people come from Reno. Some were gun dealers who couldn't get rid of them any other way. They came in with 30 or 50 guns, and some still had price tags on them, like $35. Who else has that many guns?"

The latest Oakland homicide took place at around 8 p.m. Monday. A driver was traveling in the 950 block of 37th Avenue when a suspect walking nearby fired shots at the vehicle. The driver was struck with bullets and died, according to police.

No suspects have been taken into custody in the shooting.

The slaying comes after a weekend that saw six people killed in 10 shooting incidents and a popular college instructor killed at his Oakland Hills home.

Sunday's violence began shortly after 11 p.m. when police responded to the 2200 block of 64th Avenue to investigate a report that a man had been shot.

Authorities said they found Dwane Lidell Walker, 51, of Oakland, suffering from four gunshot wounds that claimed his life. No suspects were in custody for the shooting nor was there a known motive.

Just after midnight Monday the body of Sedric Dennis, 42, of Oakland, was discovered in a parking lot. He had suffered several gunshot wounds. At 12:38 a.m., officers responded to the Quik Stop convenience store at 2400 Fruitvale Ave. and found Romeo Mendez-Martin, 28, of Oakland -- a victim of an apparent robbery attempt -- suffering from a fatal gunshot wound.

There were no suspects in custody in either case.

The highest profile slaying of the weekend was that of Bay Area college instructor John Alfred Dennis Jr., 59, in his Oakland Hills home on Saturday.

Troy Thomas, 43, was arrested and reportedly has confessed to the crime. He knew Dennis from an inner-city mentoring program.

Thomas was arrested late Saturday when a San Mateo County sheriff's deputy walked up to his car and asked what he was doing at Montara State Beach after 11 p.m. The deputy noticed an arm protruding from underneath a covering in the backseat and discovered Dennis' body.

When police ran the registration of the car, they found it belonged to Dennis. Thomas was arrested and a search of Dennis' Oakland Hills home revealed blood evidence of a violent struggle. Police believe that the popular teacher was killed there -- one of seven people killed in Oakland in unrelated incidents over the weekend.

"There was blood evidence," Joyner told the paper. "There was biological evidence. There was physical evidence."

Dennis was a popular teacher at both St. Mary's College in Moraga and the City College of San Francisco. On the St Mary's campus Monday, the room where Dennis' class on death and dying was to meet for the first time of the new semester was empty.
Copyright 2008 by KTVU.com and Bay City News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
oakland resident

Los Angeles, CA

#6 Mar 16, 2008
first of all we dont need more police who do nothing but sit on their ass all day long. 7.7million for what? 1.4 billion was invested in oakland only and they cannot account for the money. a oakland police officer resently handcuff a black boy them shot and killed him in front of his father, then turned around and silence the father. all these killings is going on behinde prime real estate. there is young adults performing a documentary base off the 148 murders that took place in oakland ca, they have my full support! what they are doing is very enlighting and very educational.
X OPD

Cupertino, CA

#7 Mar 17, 2008
The murder rate is not alarming to me, OPD couldn't even keep my old friend Willie Wilkins who was an undercover police officer from being murdered while on duty. One important fact, Willie was murdered by 2 uniformed OPD officers, Tim Scarrott and Andrew Koponen who are still with the department.

How can OPD say they will protect and serve their city when they couldn't even protect and serve their own police officer? You can ask Tim Scarrott that question on his MySpace.com page.

OPD's upper brass is an absolute joke and the former Chief of Police Richard Word who is now running the show in Vacaville should be ashamed of himself.

Fremont, CA

#8 Mar 18, 2008
oakland resident wrote:
first of all we dont need more police who do nothing but sit on their ass all day long. 7.7million for what? 1.4 billion was invested in oakland only and they cannot account for the money. a oakland police officer resently handcuff a black boy them shot and killed him in front of his father, then turned around and silence the father. all these killings is going on behinde prime real estate. there is young adults performing a documentary base off the 148 murders that took place in oakland ca, they have my full support! what they are doing is very enlighting and very educational.
sit on their ass all day long? wow. That's a bold statement when you consider the reports that show that Oakland officers have more calls for service per officer than most other cities.
All My Boys

Oakland, CA

#9 Mar 19, 2008
We see at least 4-6 OPD's at the Buttercup every morning. At least 2 in the afternoon. Then I see them doing stuff I would get a ticket for. Upper brass has a lot to do.
another oaklander

San Leandro, CA

#10 Apr 24, 2008
yeah wrote:
first of all u need to live in oakland and be one of its residents before you say anything about us needing more out-of-city cops who know nothing about the city, its people, and its culture purely the prejudices they've developed by watching the news.
second, cops are not what we need, prisons are not what we need. the fact that more money goes to prisons than schools is rediculous. locking peopel away does solve anything. putting money into schools, education, and teachers so that youth have a proper foundation in life is what we need to make sure we're doing. unfortunately the cali government is corrupt, we're trying to change that. what the fuck do u kno out in fremont asshole besides what the news tells you.

Daly City, CA

#11 Apr 25, 2008
another oaklander wrote:
<quoted text>
what the fuck do u kno out in fremont asshole besides what the news tells you.
I don't live in Oakland but I probably know more than the average resident about the crime there...DH is a police officer.
yeah

Fremont, CA

#12 Apr 25, 2008
another oaklander wrote:
<quoted text>
first of all u need to live in oakland and be one of its residents before you say anything about us needing more out-of-city cops who know nothing about the city, its people, and its culture purely the prejudices they've developed by watching the news.
second, cops are not what we need, prisons are not what we need. the fact that more money goes to prisons than schools is rediculous. locking peopel away does solve anything. putting money into schools, education, and teachers so that youth have a proper foundation in life is what we need to make sure we're doing. unfortunately the cali government is corrupt, we're trying to change that. what the fuck do u kno out in fremont asshole besides what the news tells you.
Step off yah silly kid, just cuz my ISP has a location on it doesnt mean much.
I am a 5th gen Oaklander. My Ancestors are buried here. My blood is in the soil and in the concrete, bricks and mortar that are part and parcel of my town. And I have lived all over Oakland, but primarily in the Laurel. that said, We NEED more Police, there is no doubt about it,(and of course we need better schools too),but your Emperor Dellums is asleep in his colonial estate in Piedmont,,cant we get somebody to ring his butler and let him know our city is dying.

Daly City, CA

#13 Apr 25, 2008
yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
Step off yah silly kid, just cuz my ISP has a location on it doesnt mean much.
I am a 5th gen Oaklander. My Ancestors are buried here. My blood is in the soil and in the concrete, bricks and mortar that are part and parcel of my town. And I have lived all over Oakland, but primarily in the Laurel. that said, We NEED more Police, there is no doubt about it,(and of course we need better schools too),but your Emperor Dellums is asleep in his colonial estate in Piedmont,,cant we get somebody to ring his butler and let him know our city is dying.
I agree 100%
stella

United States

#14 Jun 6, 2008
Oakland residents requested Ron Dellums to mayor. In fact they ran a campaign for him.
stella

United States

#15 Jun 6, 2008
Oakland mayoral election

Dellums was recruited to run for Mayor of Oakland by an informal committee called "Draft Dellums," which collected 8,000 signatures and presented them to the former Congressman at a public meeting at Laney College, chanting "Run, Ron, Run".[32]
Oakland by night
Oakland by night

In October 2005, reportedly after weeks of deliberation and speculation, Dellums announced that he would run for mayor of Oakland. The previous mayor, former California Governor Jerry Brown, was ineligible to run for another term, and ran (successfully) for the position of California Attorney General. The other formidable candidates in the election were City Council President Ignacio De La Fuente, and District 3 City Councilmember Nancy Nadel. Landlord and activist Arnie Fields also ran in the race as did perennial candidate Hector "Reno" Reyna.

On June 16, 2006, after nearly two weeks of ballot-counting and a dispute over whether votes for unqualified write-in candidates such as George W. Bush and Homer Simpson counted towards the total, Dellums was unofficially declared the winner in the Oakland mayoral race. The Alameda County Registrar of Voters said Dellums garnered a 50.18 percent majority 155 votes more than needed to avoid a runoff with De La Fuente. Dellums received just 41,992 votes, about 10% of the city's population.[33]
anotha oaklander

San Ramon, CA

#16 Aug 8, 2008
well its seems like the more cops they put out there the more people are dying,yeah good solution more cops eh? then why the fuck are people still dying, more cops isn't going to help, because remember what you pay for is what you get...you pay for more cops you get more criminals said and done
FRESNO

Fresno, CA

#17 Sep 1, 2008
Oakland califoria needs prayer and piece . I dont like even hearing about guns and bullets people geting shot people geting killed no no no pleas stop the crimes
lulu

San Anselmo, CA

#18 Sep 12, 2008
you are a paranoid freak and you don't know what you're talking about.
lulu

San Anselmo, CA

#19 Sep 12, 2008
All My Boys wrote:
We see at least 4-6 OPD's at the Buttercup every morning. At least 2 in the afternoon. Then I see them doing stuff I would get a ticket for. Upper brass has a lot to do.
they're not allowed to eat? they shouldn't get a break during their shift? do you get a break at your job? do people criticize you for eating on YOUR break?

Concord, CA

#20 Sep 13, 2008
anotha oaklander wrote:
well its seems like the more cops they put out there the more people are dying,yeah good solution more cops eh? then why the fuck are people still dying, more cops isn't going to help, because remember what you pay for is what you get...you pay for more cops you get more criminals said and done
You should do a ride along and see what it's like to have to report to a robbery that happened 12 hours ago because you were tied up with more serious issues.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Mateo County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
San Carlos residents rise up against possible r... Nov 8 Bear 2
Attorneys focus on legal disputes before they h... Nov 7 Gerald Vonberger 1
Burlingame post office up for short-term lease:... Nov 4 Anson 1
East Palo Alto Family Biking Workshop Oct '14 Family times 2
Burlingame post office sold Sep '14 Happy to have moved 1
A little spice goes a long way: Firefighter chi... Aug '14 stevefoo 1
Daly City Officer Charged With Excessive Force (Aug '06) Aug '14 parmar gangaram 372

San Mateo County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE