All in a day's work

Mar 18, 2012 Full story: Farmington Daily Times 48

Pushing law enforcement officers to actively seek out violators while on duty is the rationale for the new point system in force at the San Juan County Sheriff's Office.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Judge Dredd

Farmington, NM

#1 Mar 18, 2012
So, tag a driver for any ole violation (.33points), antagonize said driver till he pops off, then haul driver to jail, repeat (.66 points total), head to dunkin doughnuts, sip coffee, write 2 arrest reports (2.66 points total), collect paycheck and wait for recognition from supervisors for making daily (points) quota. Or loiter near bars, tag 1 guy driving with any ammount of booze in him, and bingo 3 points, job done, wait for raise at evaluation time.
I'm all for having the deputies do their jobs, but as I read this it's main point was so that the supervisors could determine who is working and who is not and aid them in evaluating the staff. So what does that say about the competance of the supervisors? If they don't know what the Officers they supervise are doing without the points system then they need new supervisors, or maybe a points system for them...pull head out of a$$ for 1 hour = 1 point, 8 points per shift required
Sundevil

Gilbert, AZ

#2 Mar 18, 2012
Good thing its at the SO. Ole Westall sure generated some numbers when he was in patrol. I think it was virtually none but when he got promoted it was crack the whip time. Do as I say not as do leadership.
lolol

Santa Fe, NM

#3 Mar 18, 2012
If it walks like a quota and oinks like a quota, then it's a quota. Anytime a public official shakes their head saying 'no no it's not a quota, it's brownie points', they lie.
simonjester

United States

#4 Mar 18, 2012
Sheriff just trying to keep up with the O man.

Signed March 16, 2012
EXECUTIVE ORDER

NATIONAL DEFENSE RESOURCES PREPAREDNESS
whammer jammer

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Mar 19, 2012
lolol wrote:
If it walks like a quota and oinks like a quota, then it's a quota. Anytime a public official shakes their head saying 'no no it's not a quota, it's brownie points', they lie.
As I read the article, it seemed as if the 'Sheriff' was trying to get us the most 'bang' for our buck. Now, that being said, the quota 'brownie points' don't do the department any favors whatso ever... the only reimbursement this county receives is the paper the tickets are written on, so....your theory....quashed....do somemore research....outdo the Daily Times...their goal? To mislead citizens like yourself. The only reimbursement the county receives for traffic violations is to replace the ticket book these citations are written on...the actual money received from these citations? Go to the state. So your quota theory is void. The DT would like for you to believe that crap, but it's just not so. All the proceeds from citations issued within the county go to the STATE....that has nothing to do with deputy performance. Jus sayin.
whammer jammer

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Mar 19, 2012
Judge Dredd wrote:
So, tag a driver for any ole violation (.33points), antagonize said driver till he pops off, then haul driver to jail, repeat (.66 points total), head to dunkin doughnuts, sip coffee, write 2 arrest reports (2.66 points total), collect paycheck and wait for recognition from supervisors for making daily (points) quota. Or loiter near bars, tag 1 guy driving with any ammount of booze in him, and bingo 3 points, job done, wait for raise at evaluation time.
I'm all for having the deputies do their jobs, but as I read this it's main point was so that the supervisors could determine who is working and who is not and aid them in evaluating the staff. So what does that say about the competance of the supervisors? If they don't know what the Officers they supervise are doing without the points system then they need new supervisors, or maybe a points system for them...pull head out of a$$ for 1 hour = 1 point, 8 points per shift required
You deserve what you ask for...what's your contribution? Aside from slander? Perhaps you should contribute rather than slant? As I read it, if you are doing your job, you haved nothing to worry about. Jus sayin.
whammer jammer

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Mar 19, 2012
Judge Dredd wrote:
As for me and my family? I'm glad they're targeting the drunk drivers...'quality reporting', quality investigations, what's your problem? Pull head out of whatever? Soundslike a pretty good update on the established policy. Of course, you make it sound like it's a 'new' policy...it's not a new policy, it was policy that was implemented during the last administration. What is happening now is an improvement on what was implemented....and needed improvement...which is exactly what has happened. What that says to us is, there was room for improvement, and it's being done. Not a bad idea, just implemented wrong. They're correcting that now.
bad morale

Farmington, NM

#8 Mar 20, 2012
The word I hear is that morale at the S.O. is really, really low right now. Could this quota system have some thing to do with it or is there another cause? I wonder?
whammer jammer

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Mar 20, 2012
bad morale wrote:
The word I hear is that morale at the S.O. is really, really low right now. Could this quota system have some thing to do with it or is there another cause? I wonder?
Nope...it has to do with past administration as it was their 'system' that the current administration is trying to improve upon. Perhaps you're 'past administration'?
Word I hear from the SO is that there are a few (supporters of the past administration) who will find any avenue to sabotage the current administration...you need to sit back...except change (as difficult as it may be) and ride with the majority of the deputies who support and defend our Sheriff. As did the MAJORITY of the voters in San Juan County. Tallies show he was supported by a larger margin than any other candidate in the history of this county. That says volumes. How about that 550 hwy? You're safer now....feel free to travel to AQ and back feeling a LOT safer...hmm....find fault with that. Volunteer with some of the unprecidented programs now in place at the SO...neighborhood watch is up 500 percent...reserves are back up and running...court watch...hmmm...me thinks the 'morale' issue is in the minds of the 'past administration' and those who supported same. jus sayin As for the current issues? I feel a LOT SAFER NOW!!! Thank you very much Sheriff!
Jus Curious

Farmington, NM

#10 Mar 20, 2012
jeesh don't get all paranoid man! I was jus askin a question not sabotaging and stuff. Last i hear this is America and we're allowed to say stuff but maybe not according to you. why you so worked up about it huh? Ya sound a little like hitler there bub. heil, heil! glad you feel safer there bub I was just repeating what i heard. sorry to jazz your jizz!
whammer jammer wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope...it has to do with past administration as it was their 'system' that the current administration is trying to improve upon. Perhaps you're 'past administration'?
Word I hear from the SO is that there are a few (supporters of the past administration) who will find any avenue to sabotage the current administration...you need to sit back...except change (as difficult as it may be) and ride with the majority of the deputies who support and defend our Sheriff. As did the MAJORITY of the voters in San Juan County. Tallies show he was supported by a larger margin than any other candidate in the history of this county. That says volumes. How about that 550 hwy? You're safer now....feel free to travel to AQ and back feeling a LOT safer...hmm....find fault with that. Volunteer with some of the unprecidented programs now in place at the SO...neighborhood watch is up 500 percent...reserves are back up and running...court watch...hmmm...me thinks the 'morale' issue is in the minds of the 'past administration' and those who supported same. jus sayin As for the current issues? I feel a LOT SAFER NOW!!! Thank you very much Sheriff!
whammer jammer

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Mar 20, 2012
Jus Curious wrote:
jeesh don't get all paranoid man! I was jus askin a question not sabotaging and stuff. Last i hear this is America and we're allowed to say stuff but maybe not according to you. why you so worked up about it huh? Ya sound a little like hitler there bub. heil, heil! glad you feel safer there bub I was just repeating what i heard. sorry to jazz your jizz!
<quoted text>
Okay...point taken...now, sit back and fasten your seat belt....because if these changes seem drastic, attend a neighborhood watch meeting, attend a reserve meeting, meet with your neighbors and see the positive changes that are in the worx. I for one feel a lot safer, and I'm just one voice...one among hundreds....jus sayin....do you have any idea how silly you sound? Change is hard...nobody likes it, but it is the face of the new administration. Ask your neighbors...bet they are sleeping better at night. We know for a fact that their children, parents....all their loved ones are traveling to AQ and back a lot safer. Tip of the iceberg....Hitler? What? Now you're aging yourself...making it easy to see what generation you spring from. Me? Not of that generation, but don't forget tyrants...glad we don't live in that era...I don't repeat 'rumor'...I find out the facts for myself...you? How many meetings have you attended? See ya there!
Calamity Jo

Farmington, NM

#12 Mar 21, 2012
Wow man, aren't you being a little defensive? All the guy did was make a statement that he heard morale was bad and wondered why. You seem to be taking this a little too personally and that makes me wonder why?(and anyway, even if everyone's "sleeping better" because everything's so much safer, there's still a problem if morale sucks wouldn't you say?)
And I wouldn't judge someone's age by their reference to Hitler. Even my 16 year old kids use the Hitler reference all the time. Must be watching too much Fox news!
whammer jammer wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay...point taken...now, sit back and fasten your seat belt....because if these changes seem drastic, attend a neighborhood watch meeting, attend a reserve meeting, meet with your neighbors and see the positive changes that are in the worx. I for one feel a lot safer, and I'm just one voice...one among hundreds....jus sayin....do you have any idea how silly you sound? Change is hard...nobody likes it, but it is the face of the new administration. Ask your neighbors...bet they are sleeping better at night. We know for a fact that their children, parents....all their loved ones are traveling to AQ and back a lot safer. Tip of the iceberg....Hitler? What? Now you're aging yourself...making it easy to see what generation you spring from. Me? Not of that generation, but don't forget tyrants...glad we don't live in that era...I don't repeat 'rumor'...I find out the facts for myself...you? How many meetings have you attended? See ya there!
whammer jammer

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Mar 21, 2012
Calamity Jo wrote:
Wow man, aren't you being a little defensive? All the guy did was make a statement that he heard morale was bad and wondered why. You seem to be taking this a little too personally and that makes me wonder why?(and anyway, even if everyone's "sleeping better" because everything's so much safer, there's still a problem if morale sucks wouldn't you say?)
And I wouldn't judge someone's age by their reference to Hitler. Even my 16 year old kids use the Hitler reference all the time. Must be watching too much Fox news!
<quoted text>
Nope...all you did was slam the current administration. Period. Compared to the 'past' administrations...hands down...this one is by far...an open door policy administration. To the public. To the employees. Now, as to what funds the county? That's the money engine...the public...now, instead of listening to disgruntled employees who don't want to give us a 'day's work for a day's pay'...listen to the citizens. We're very happy with our Sheriff. See ya at the next neighborhood watch meeting.
GEBE

Farmington, NM

#14 Mar 21, 2012
Jammer gets his panties in a bunch quite easily.

Quota or not, it will get the lazy deputies working,
whammer jammer

Albuquerque, NM

#15 Mar 21, 2012
GEBE wrote:
Jammer gets his panties in a bunch quite easily.
Quota or not, it will get the lazy deputies working,
Hmmm....jammer says, as he's adjusting his undergarments...the facts are... San Juan County has, no "quota" with regards to direct public contributions as a result of 'traffic citations'. All that revenue goes to the state...the county gets reimbursed for the paper the tickets are written on...
Now, as for a valid set of guidelines which 'keep in check' the progress of, or lack there of, each deputy? I'd say, our current Sheriff is looking out for the citizen's best interest, basically, giving us what we pay for, isn't that what we should expect? Let's see...Getting back to the business of serving the public? Involving the public? What's wrong with that? COMMUNITY POLICING...hmmm...keep an eye on your neighbor's property, encourage him to keep an eye on yours?...who has a better understanding of this county than its citizens? I'm not bunching my underwear...nor am I a 'throw back to WWII tyrant, Hitler'...I'm just putting into perspective the goals and 'promises'(which are being kept by the way), by our current Sheriff's office administrators. I voted for and will continue to support these goals and values. IT'S MY HOME. It's partly my responsibility to keep it safe. Any and everything I can do to promote that will keep me and my family safe. Do you have the time and date of the next neighborhood watch meeting? Call the Sheriff's Office, they'll let you know.
Matt Lauer

Farmington, NM

#16 Mar 22, 2012
Jammer, you still haven't acknowledged that bad morale could be a problem as someone else brought up above. Methinks you seem to be defending the community policing a little heavily without even saying bad morale could be bad for the organization. A good leader takes care of his or her people, especially the people in the organization they're supposed to be leading. The end doesn't always justify the means. Just my humble opinion. And you might want to mention, at that neighborhood watch meeting, that it's better to not shoot first and ask questions later, know what I mean? Maybe you could give everyone tasers or pepper spray instead?
whammer jammer

Albuquerque, NM

#17 Mar 22, 2012
Matt Lauer wrote:
Jammer, you still haven't acknowledged that bad morale could be a problem as someone else brought up above. Methinks you seem to be defending the community policing a little heavily without even saying bad morale could be bad for the organization. A good leader takes care of his or her people, especially the people in the organization they're supposed to be leading. The end doesn't always justify the means. Just my humble opinion. And you might want to mention, at that neighborhood watch meeting, that it's better to not shoot first and ask questions later, know what I mean? Maybe you could give everyone tasers or pepper spray instead?
Open door policy...now, that's a policy anyone can live with. With former administrations, that wasn't the policy...it was what it was....live with it...now, at least there is an open door..so, if you have an issue, just walk in, talk about it. Now, if there are 'shooters' with capstun, or pepper spray who still have an ax to grind, all they need to do is walk through that door...nuff said bubba...now, as I said before, we'll see you at the next neighborhood watch meeting...oh yee of many monikers...translucent as they are. Now, what we have for our Sheriff is a lifelong deputy...who's been experienced in all the positions...so, it's not elusive to him...he's been there. He's building his department based on his experience, what was good and bad in past administrations. I like how he is involving the community in their safety. What's curious is that, number 1, why was the neighborhood watch program down to ONE organized neighborhood in a 5500 sq mile county during the last administration?????? Why did the Reserve program almost disappear? Where's the Sheriff's Posse? What happened to 'community policing'? What happened to community involvement? How can you possibly keep your community safe if you don't rely on informants????? Informants include the everyday citizen...ie neighborhood watch. Why are you so strongly in opposition to the changes....positive changes, which protect and are in the best interest of the tax paying 'voters' of this county.....hmmm....clear as mud? Clear as mud from here...have you spoken with the current administration about your concerns? Or....wait, you're speaking for the past administration, well... how'd that work out?
Matt Lauer

Farmington, NM

#18 Mar 23, 2012
Wow, Whammer. You certainly do take all of this personally. All we were saying is there have been rumors of bad morale, but saying that seems to send you into a tizzy and you don't address it. I'm glad you're so pleased with all of the exciting programs and we're not criticizing those, least I'm not. Bad morale was the question and I was just curious bout it and just asking if the rumors are true. But mentioning it seems to send you off on this other tangent so I guess this convo is over. And by the way, I'm not the past administration, there were lots of problems with that one also but that ones over, we're talking bout now. I don't know that morale was worse then though. Anyone other than Whammer who might be in the know want to comment? He's sounding like a broken record to me. But my, Hoda's lookin mighty yummy today so back to the set.
GEBE

Albuquerque, NM

#19 Mar 25, 2012
I talked with a supervisor, they said it was not a quota system, but a system to track and encourage the more lazy deputies to do something. They were asking for two hours of "work" per shift, like community service, neighborhood watch, a ticket, responding to a call. Paperwork is also included in this. Driving around SJC is not included with this.

If this is work sign me up. Two hours a day of real work a day and get paid for eight hours. And a great retirement package.
Concerned

Compton, CA

#20 Mar 25, 2012
Seems like bloomfield cops are out for blood or something they'll pull you over for breathing!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Juan County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
San Juan County schools districts adjust to new... Sep 29 BeHereNow 5
San Juan County workforce shrinks Sep 1 XandO 1
Governor candidate Gary King discusses educatio... Aug '14 forgot one 2
San Juan County Sheriff's office responds to cl... Jul '14 Slambo 2
If San Juan County cuts indigent fund, some pre... Jun '14 SJ Resident 5
Farmington man cleared of charges in 2012 rape ... Jun '14 Whitey 2
Legislation cuts into San Juan County's health ... May '14 Subutai 10

San Juan County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE