Candidates file for school board elec...

Candidates file for school board elections

There are 15 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Dec 19, 2012, titled Candidates file for school board elections. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

The San Juan County Clerk's Office collected the names of candidates from Aztec, Bloomfield, Central Consolidated and Farmington districts Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#1 Dec 20, 2012
Whammer Jammer

Mr. Hatathlie a Navajo man Who lives in his school board voting district, but registers late to vote is not allowed to run for school board.

Mr. Jensen, white who does not reside anywhere in CCSD, but claimed he does is allowed to run? He should be running for the school board in another district.

It looks like someone here someone is breaking the rules or the law.
WOW

Rio Rancho, NM

#2 Dec 21, 2012
Mr. Jensen owns property in that district,lived in and I imagine still has a home in Harper Valley, pays taxes in that district, has a vested interest in that district, his son graduated from that district. The Jensen family and business supported Central Schools and still do. Mr. Jensen probably has more of a vested interest in Central Schools than some transplant who is always a "busy body" and stirring the pot like an old maid.

Location hidden

#3 Dec 21, 2012
WOW wrote:
Mr. Jensen owns property in that district,lived in and I imagine still has a home in Harper Valley, pays taxes in that district, has a vested interest in that district, his son graduated from that district. The Jensen family and business supported Central Schools and still do. Mr. Jensen probably has more of a vested interest in Central Schools than some transplant who is always a "busy body" and stirring the pot like an old maid.
That is all nice but what do the rules say? After all the split hoopla of the past year, I'm sure there are plenty of outside observers, who are watching this to assure things go by the rules.

It is funny after kirtland saying they wanted their own district because they wanted to have "local" control, and having closer contact with their board members.. Then they go and support someone who doesn't even live in the district.

It doesn't make much sense, it also a poor reflection upon the character and values of the community.

He doesn't live there he shouldn't be running.
Kirtland EL Parent

Aztec, NM

#4 Dec 22, 2012
I was hoping things would stabilize, as a parent of children in the district I was hoping that these adult problems, and prejudices would calm down, and calmer heads will prevail.

The schools have improved over the last year. I am afraid if Mr jensen was elected it would end up being worse than before. If that is the case I would move my family.

My kids bus stop near the Jensen home in Harper valley. Up untill a week ago it appeared vacant.

I want a board member who is knowledgable, considerate and willing to work with all the people in the district. And not be the tool of the tribe, the NEA, or of the old mormon families.

Mr Jensen quit trying to fool us you moved months ago.
Ahh

Aztec, NM

#5 Dec 22, 2012
He may be a taxpayer but he does appear to be a citizen, living in the school district.

The rules say he can't.

Past examples show someone trying to move into an area to seek office. Not moving out, as is in this case.

I wonder if he is breaking any serious laws?

Location hidden

#6 Dec 24, 2012
Ahh wrote:
He may be a taxpayer but he does appear to be a citizen, living in the school district.
The rules say he can't.
Past examples show someone trying to move into an area to seek office. Not moving out, as is in this case.
I wonder if he is breaking any serious laws?
Maybe you meant to say he doesn't appear to be a legal voting citizen of the area. Otherwise good post.

There probably is an election law or statute that he is breaking. Maybe there was a question about "primary residence" if he put down his CCSD/Kirtland address he would be lying. Misdemeanor or felony maybe someone else can answer that.

The interesting thing is if kirtland votes for him in large numbers. What would that be saying about the principles of the community.
Observed

Lovington, NM

#7 Dec 26, 2012
CCSD leaderships rules and ethics have been and are questionable.

Location hidden

#8 Dec 26, 2012
Observed wrote:
CCSD leaderships rules and ethics have been and are questionable.
I would agree that they have been very questionable.

Randy Manning hiring his brother. To be ethical one of them should have stepped down ten years ago.

Byron Manning had Bill Flack build his 350k home, after he gave the Flacks thousands of dollars worth of no bid contracts for work on the schools. Was it legal? According to the law yes. Was it right and ethical? Not in the least bit.

Those are just two examples of what they were up to.

Ethically an alcohol possession by Tso doesn't compare to what they did.
Observed

Placitas, NM

#9 Dec 29, 2012
CCSD-lots of chaos still exists-internal and external. It will take years to achieve stability-if it ever does.
Bluedog

Los Angeles, CA

#10 Jan 3, 2013
Hopefully, with the upcoming school board elections coming up, a moderate will be elected. This will assist the two other moderates in holding the superintendent accountable for protecting some senior employees while discarding others on flimsy premises.
Observed

Rio Rancho, NM

#11 Jan 3, 2013
The superintendent could possibly be the one needing discarded.
Bluedog

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Jan 3, 2013
Observed wrote:
The superintendent could possibly be the one needing discarded.
Concur, good or bad leadership always starts at the top.

Location hidden

#13 Jan 3, 2013
Bluedog wrote:
Hopefully, with the upcoming school board elections coming up, a moderate will be elected. This will assist the two other moderates in holding the superintendent accountable for protecting some senior employees while discarding others on flimsy premises.
Could you be more specific on who you find as moderate in this situation? Both the candidate and the two board members, they would be joining.

Also give some well thought out justification behind your reasoning. And also some disclosure of what point of view you come from: NEA, children first, Navajo language first, or normal parent.
kdgt

San Francisco, CA

#14 Jan 3, 2013
So

Location hidden

#15 Jan 4, 2013
kdgt wrote:
So
So yes we are still waiting for a reply about those moderates.

On another point I looked up election law concerning residency for school board elections. Mr Jensen does have to be a resident of the area he hopes to run for school board in. He can't just own proptery there.

Also knowingly falsifying your place of residence on the declaration to run is a felony.

So it is very possible that he could be declared intelligible and taken off he ballot, then arrested.

The Kirtland leadership really needs to get their head out and start encouraging someone real leadership to that position. Rather than a tow truck driver, or a hairdresser.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Juan County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Judge declares mistrial in Hopi Street shooting... May '15 lolol 1
News Judge rules feds need representation in San Jua... Apr '15 tomin cali 4
News Editorial: Anti-vaxxers selling a dangerous idea (Feb '15) Feb '15 SAFE VACCINES NOW 2
News San Juan County schools districts adjust to new... (Aug '14) Sep '14 BeHereNow 5
News San Juan County workforce shrinks (Sep '14) Sep '14 XandO 1
News Governor candidate Gary King discusses educatio... (Aug '14) Aug '14 forgot one 2
News San Juan County Sheriff's office responds to cl... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Slambo 2
More from around the web