Anti-Gay Christians Target Seated Judges

Anti-Gay Christians Target Seated Judges

There are 3015 comments on the EDGEsanfrancisco.com News Feed story from May 31, 2010, titled Anti-Gay Christians Target Seated Judges. In it, EDGEsanfrancisco.com News Feed reports that:

In this May 26, 2010 photo, Rev. Brian Hendry, of the Zion Fellowship church, and a pastor with the Better Courts Now organizaton, poses in his church in San Diego A group of conservative attorneys say they are on a mission from God to unseat four California judges in a rare challenge that is turning a traditionally snooze-button election into what ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGEsanfrancisco.com News Feed.

First Prev
of 151
Next Last

TomInElPaso

“Impeach the reality show actor”

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#1 May 31, 2010
Just what we need, a Christian Taliban.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Mona Lott

Lakewood, NJ

#2 May 31, 2010
Oh dear...activist christians on the march...

How many MORE lies can they spread???

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Leftatalbuquerqu e

Toronto, Canada

#3 May 31, 2010
What did George Burns tell John Denver to relay to the TV Envagelist in "Oh, God!"?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Spider

Alpharetta, GA

#4 May 31, 2010
Theocrats are just plain dumb.

Do they really think they can make christianity the rule of law in a secular society?

Their supremacist arrogance cheapens religion
http://www.pbase.com/image/73285000

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“STFU”

Since: May 07

Atlanta, GA

#5 May 31, 2010
And I was mocked by many here when I said over a year ago we need to be more vigilant against these religionists. They are in full-scale assault against everything America has stood for, under the guise of patriotism. But their patriotism is a lie, as is everything they say and do.

Coddling them and trying to reason with them is NOT going to work. You cannot reason with the unreasonable. They only understand force and we must use every tool at our disposal with no mercy because I assure you they will show us no mercy.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Leftatalbuquerqu e

Toronto, Canada

#6 May 31, 2010
re: Oh! God Movie: God said he should stop getting rich from selling God's word and he should sell shoes.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Duped since birth

Birmingham, MI

#7 May 31, 2010
"Unfortunately, God has called upon us to do this only with the judiciary."

What's that supposed to mean? I guess this one particular group isn't going after any other branches of government. Unfortunate?

And exactly how does god call them? Do they hear a voice in their head? Does one of their bushes spontaneously combust and start speaking?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Curteese

Palm Desert, CA

#8 May 31, 2010
Absolutly chilling. They will not stop until this IS a theocracy. What's next on their menu? Anti semitism? Sending women back to the 19th century?
I'm just old enough to recall when you had to state your religion on emplyoment applications. Is that next?
In Nazi times you had to state your religion to TRAVEL. I can see that on our horizon.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

#9 May 31, 2010
Californians are foolish for having elected judges. Most states have appointed judges to help prevent political pressures being put on them.

Having judges elected is a bad idea as evidenced by this. Do away with them.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#10 May 31, 2010
Folks,
This is scary crap......not just for the GLBTQI Community.......but for our freedoms as a Country!!!

I will do whatever I can to fight this......but we need to organize and fight......and not necessarily with violence......but with something more than words.

I agree with Curteese.......just look at the law in Arizona and see how it could be used for others!!!!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Jan 10

Defiance, OH

#11 May 31, 2010
When is the US Government going to step up and make these so called religious organizations pay taxes?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Post-religious”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#14 May 31, 2010
Frank Stanton wrote:
Californians are foolish for having elected judges. Most states have appointed judges to help prevent political pressures being put on them.
Having judges elected is a bad idea as evidenced by this. Do away with them.
Frank, you claim to be a political science minor and a "constitutional scholar," but you show your ignorance so often it's become a running joke.

Most states elect at least some of their judges. And while I agree that the practice is a bad idea and most of the world doesn't do it, it's certainly not uncommon in this country and never has been.

From The New York Times in May of 2008, "American Exception: Rendering Justice, With One Eye on Re-election" by Adam Liptak:

"Nationwide, 87 percent of all state court judges face elections, and 39 states elect at least some of their judges, according to the National Center for State Courts.

In the rest of the world, the usual selection methods emphasize technical skill and insulate judges from the popular will, tilting in the direction of independence. The most common methods of judicial selection abroad are appointment by an executive branch official, which is how federal judges in the United States are chosen, and a sort of civil service made up of career professionals.

Outside of the United States, experts in comparative judicial selection say, there are only two nations that have judicial elections, and then only in limited fashion. Smaller Swiss cantons elect judges, and appointed justices on the Japanese Supreme Court must sometimes face retention elections, though scholars there say those elections are a formality.

"To the rest of the world,” Hans A. Linde, a justice of the Oregon Supreme Court, since retired, said at a 1988 symposium on judicial selection,“American adherence to judicial elections is as incomprehensible as our rejection of the metric system."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/25/us/25except...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Philadelphia, PA

#18 May 31, 2010
Don't address Daniel/Francis the Talking Ass directly.

Talk about him instead. He's a dual diagnosis moron who doesn't know the first thing about anything.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Feb 10

Woodstock, Illinois

#19 May 31, 2010
Leftatalbuquerque wrote:
re: Oh! God Movie: God said he should stop getting rich from selling God's word and he should sell shoes.
As long as we are on movies:

I thought Jake and Elwood had a much nicer mission from god than these guys.

What a bunch of self rightious sinners.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Philadelphia, PA

#20 May 31, 2010
Talibangelical nutcases fueled by hate can emit quite a pronounced death rattle.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“TMA&CRR One Love One Marriage ”

Since: Sep 09

port orange

#38 May 31, 2010
Judges shouldn't be elected! Rights shouldn't be voted on! WTF is wrong with people nowa days! what happened to the United States Constitution??????

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

#39 May 31, 2010
Travis A wrote:
Judges shouldn't be elected! Rights shouldn't be voted on! WTF is wrong with people nowa days! what happened to the United States Constitution??????
These are state judges, not federal judges. The U.S. Constitution (I'm a constitutional strict constructionist) has nothing to do with the fact that some states allow judges to be elected, not appointed.

But I am opposed to any judge being elected.(Just pick me !:))

(I am FAIR. And BALANCED.)

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“IBM had it right: "Think"”

Since: Mar 07

SF Bay Area Suburbs

#41 May 31, 2010
I think they are targeting th 14th century. The Spanish inquisition is better for their needs.
Curteese wrote:
Absolutly chilling. They will not stop until this IS a theocracy. What's next on their menu? Anti semitism? Sending women back to the 19th century?
I'm just old enough to recall when you had to state your religion on emplyoment applications. Is that next?
In Nazi times you had to state your religion to TRAVEL. I can see that on our horizon.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Nov 08

Roanoke, VA

#44 May 31, 2010
Evilgelicals on the march again. Christ said come to me not force them to me idots! American Inquisition. Probably graduated from Liberty U. Now there is a real oxymoron!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

#46 May 31, 2010
OutVoice wrote:
Evilgelicals on the march again. Christ said come to me not force them to me idots! American Inquisition. Probably graduated from Liberty U. Now there is a real oxymoron!
LOL. I agree !

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 151
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Diego County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DA Files Charges in Multi-Million-Dollar Invest... (Mar '15) Feb 6 Susan Toner 36
News California declares emergency to fight hepatiti... Oct '17 Fit2Serve 12
News 'Bad Grandpa' Bandit Sentenced for Robbing Four... Sep '17 why no alarm siren 1
News CBP Arrest 19 Fugitives Labor Day Weekend Sep '17 anotherview2 1
News More than a month later, few answers in Nationa... (Aug '17) Aug '17 El Veijo 1
News Humans in America 100,000 years earlier than pr... (Apr '17) Jul '17 pshun2404 26
News Woman seen taking package still at large (Jun '17) Jun '17 Some of us need m... 1
More from around the web