: Big Bear Lake man killed following ...

: Big Bear Lake man killed following fight

There are 161 comments on the San Bernardino County Sun story from Jun 19, 2008, titled : Big Bear Lake man killed following fight. In it, San Bernardino County Sun reports that:

Sheriff's homicide detectives are investigating the death of a Big Bear Lake man whose attack might be related to a fight outside a restaurant a day earlier.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Bernardino County Sun.

furious

Twentynine Palms, CA

#145 Apr 2, 2011
friend wrote:
Well the attorney had plenty of time almost three years I'm pretty sure is plenty of time.
Oh wait buying the crow bar the night before isn't premeditated or wait was it the laying in wait that got him? Or was it the testimony of those who where there got charged with there crime for there part of Mike getting killed.
And the jury talked about it for 3 days jeez like they went in there and came out 3 hrs later!! They did the right thing and the family can finally move on and Mikey can finally rest!!
You are absolutley nuts!! You are not worth even talking to. And quit speaking for the Lundin family. You are not them. And you certainly do not know Chalen. Enjoy your glory. You sicken me.
Katy

Westminster, CA

#146 May 3, 2011
Chalen may not have a criminal record, but he hit someone over the head with a crowbar! I saw in an article that he and his friends were waiting with a crowbar and a 2 x 4 for the other group to show up. This is what I heard was presented in court.

As much as it makes me sad to see a young teenager going to prison, we still need to understand that he took someone's life! I don't think he wanted to kill someone, but he did. If that was your son who died, what would you want?

We can't have people running the streets, doing whatever seems right in their own eyes. This fight did NOT need to happen. Everyone involved was foolish for being involved in it. And look what can happen when people make foolish choices. This was a senseless tragedy that did NOT need to happen, it could have been avoided if one chose NOT to fight; and instead, call the police.

Young people, LEARN FROM THIS!!!!!!!!
KBarber

Westminster, CA

#147 May 3, 2011
Mikes friend wrote:
I am a very close friend to Mike. and everyone needs to know the truth. Mike was a sportsman. He was a good guy. to some. in HIS circle. I am a very honest guy and I know none of this should have happened. I also know that Mike was an instagator, picked on people. used drugs, I know it may sound strange coming from his friend but the truth needs to be told. I personally do not know Chalen. But I do know that they are not trouble makers. they are a bunch of kids a little less fortunate that are always helping people out. Mike and his friends should not have went to Chalens house. Mike and his friends were always chasing these kids around for no reason other than to scare them. Mikes friend actually pulled a gun on one of Chalens friends a few months ago. these kids were scared. and they never did anything back to them except run for thier lives. to Mike and all our friends, I am a changed person because of this. and I know for a fact that these young kids should not be in jail for this. you started it as usual. Mike tried to run them off the road a while back.I know all this. I would hate too see Chalen and his friends go down for this. Mike was my friend. sorry buddy..RIP. But you were a fighter with all your back up. and you know this. and you should not have ever started this fight as you and your friends always do. Mike, why did you have to start this mess. I know you and I knew it would come to this one day. I am sorry Mike, but nobody should be in jail right now. and to Mikes parents, I am so very deeply hurt for you. and I am sorry for what I am sayimg here. but Mike was a trouble maker and it is time the truth came out. I had warned him and warned him to quit and he would not listen. I love you Buddy but you know you are not innocent. Dammit why did'nt you listen to me!!! maybe I am mad because you are gone now. I am also mad because none of the truth is coming out here. you should have never went there. You should have left those kids alone
as I told you over and over again. Sorry Buddy RIP
If indeed you do not know "these kids" then how could you possibly say "they are a bunch of kids a little less fortunate that are always helping people out." Between the two groups, they were only 1-3 years apart. Both parties acted stupidly. It got out of control and something very terrible happened. You can't take a crowbar to someone's head and kill them. If he was just defending his girlfriend and sister, as some posts have said, then why didn't he defend them by calling the police? I'm sorry for all involved. But for goodness sakes, someone was KILLED!!!!!
YOU ARE ALL WRONG

Huntington Beach, CA

#148 May 18, 2011
You have no idea what happened. The police reports are all lies. If you are dumb enough to believe police reports, and a jury of raisins, then so be it. Winters was railroaded. Just stay tuned for part 2. You will all be apologizing to Winters.
Do you people even know how the prosecution and the police threaten you into saying things that you did not see!!!! corrupt system. No..nobody deserved to die. But Winters does not deserve first degree murder. They give serial killers first degree murder. For GOD sakes. I know everyone admits, all parties should have been punished here. But as we all know, that was not the case now was it.
karma

Huntington Beach, CA

#149 Jun 4, 2011
Karma will find you. And the guilt will destroy you. So sad Chalen is doing time for you. Please nobody ask..just know that Chalen is innocent.

Judged:

10

10

10

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Are you kidding me

Huntington Beach, CA

#150 Jun 20, 2011
KBarber, You were not there. There was no time to call the police. Are you kidding me!!!!!! You have no idea what you are talking about.
And why do people say both sides were involved but continue to put all the blame on Winters?
And by the way....Does everyone know what a shoddy trial that was? Winters basically had NO ATTORNEY!!!!
The system failed Chalen Winters. One of the nicest kindest individuals you could ever meet in your lifetime.
Are you kidding me

Huntington Beach, CA

#151 Jul 17, 2011
You think this was on purpose? It was not.

Judged:

10

10

10

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
innocent

Tustin, CA

#152 Jul 21, 2011
Chalen is innocent. We all love you Chalen. Hang in there.

Judged:

10

10

10

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
innocent

Tustin, CA

#153 Jul 21, 2011
Katy wrote:
Chalen may not have a criminal record, but he hit someone over the head with a crowbar! I saw in an article that he and his friends were waiting with a crowbar and a 2 x 4 for the other group to show up. This is what I heard was presented in court.
As much as it makes me sad to see a young teenager going to prison, we still need to understand that he took someone's life! I don't think he wanted to kill someone, but he did. If that was your son who died, what would you want?
We can't have people running the streets, doing whatever seems right in their own eyes. This fight did NOT need to happen. Everyone involved was foolish for being involved in it. And look what can happen when people make foolish choices. This was a senseless tragedy that did NOT need to happen, it could have been avoided if one chose NOT to fight; and instead, call the police.
Young people, LEARN FROM THIS!!!!!!!!
What was presented in court was a bunch of twisted up police reports. nothing else. Winters Attorney was not ready for trial. He states that right in the minutes. Winters needs a fair trial. Because this one was a circus. Free Chalen
teamchalen

Pasadena, TX

#154 Aug 11, 2011
Chalen, I love you, everyone who has ever met you loves you, your smile sets of an incredible light, your happiness is instantly contagious, and not feeling love for such a great person like you is impossible. everyone who doubts you is wrong and one day they will all see it. no one wants to listen to the lower class kids but you know what? you are rich, in friends and family and love, real love, not just people who want to be seen with you for petty things like money or cars or your clothes, everyone who is in your life is here because our love will never quit. and a bad person would never be loved or admired as much as someone with a pure heart, such as yourself. i made you a promise before you walked through the doors of the big bear police department, and i plan to make it happen somehow. i love you, bro and i wont give up, none of us will.

Judged:

10

10

10

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Meeeee

Phoenix, AZ

#155 Sep 12, 2011
Peterson wrote:
Physical evidence will prove that Michael had suffered serious back injuries that would not have permitted fighting or self-defense, particularly when being attacked from behind.Mike had an established reputation for helping the underdog and those who were considered outcasts. So, your buds killed someone who could have been a friend to them.
Your whining rants will do nothing for your friends in jail. They must face the objective facts of what they did: murder a man for no reason. They are adults who will face adult consequences for a moment of self-pity, of uncontrolled rage, and of an "us against them" mentality.
Michael, because he was a strong Christian, is in a better place.However, his death comes with great sorrow for his family and friends and for all those who truly knew him, which most of the people who are emoting on this site obviously did not.
Perhaps you will learn valueable lessons: that self-control is best, that treating others with dignity is always wise, that sitting around and whining is non-productive and results in violence, and that all men (people who reach the age of majority, which is 18) should "quit themselves like men," which does not include senseless fighting, murder, and whining about "poor me--woe is me."
<quoted text>
Ive known mike for a while I was in alot of the same classes with him and his friends and I I guess was an underdog and all I remember was being mad fun of so badly I would eat lunch in the bathroom and I eventually went on homeschool cause I couldnt take it anymore soidont know why everyones saying he was this perfect angel
Ghost

Mohave Valley, AZ

#156 Apr 9, 2012
Just me wrote:
You know your just an arrogant piece of S***! If you think for one second any of Mikes friends are sitting back and "laughing" you could not be more WRONG...I understand you want to stick up for your friends and thats fine...however, to sit here and degrade someone that isnt able to defend themselves just shows how low of a person you are. You sound like such a child sitting here saying "well he started it"..are you kidding me! The issue isnt who started it..the fact is your friend killed someone and the system is giving him what he deserves!
Thats bxllshit! It definetly matters who started it. If Mike and his friends were not looking for a fight and looking to harm someone, then this never would have happend. If a bunch of idiots came to my house looking for trouble then I would grab a weapon too. You have the right to defend yourself! Its a huge tragedy what happend to Mike and I feel bad for his family, but this was not a murder! If anything, its maybe a manslaughter. MAYBE!!! Chalen doesnt deserve to go to prison for the rest of his life. If he went looking for the fight and killed someone then that would be murder. Hes innocent and should be freed!
Ghost

Bullhead City, AZ

#157 May 18, 2012
Tony Clifton wrote:
Chalen will at most pull down bout 10 years at the Max.
I rember the old punk,jock,hippy,redneck fights.
People have always wanted to pick fights with others outside there group and punks were and are usally out cast.
But had these Jocks picked on hardcore real or wanna thugs into rap they all would have had there ass's shot off.
Least with punks its usually fist or base ball chains and knifes.
Are you kidding me? 10 years? Chalen was sentenced to 26 to life. I went to court with him the day he was sentenced. In California, if you are sentenced to 26 to life, you will NEVER be released from prison ever! Get your facts straight! If he doesnt get this overturned he will spend the rest of his life in a level 4 state prison and never go home! thats a fact.
George

United States

#158 May 19, 2012
George is driving to Big Bear Lake, California?
Other side

Big Bear City, CA

#160 Jun 18, 2012
SHAY wrote:
<quoted text>
OH YUP. U GOT IT ALL FIGURED OUT. I AM 22, OVER AGE, NOT THAT IT MATTERS, BUT IGNORANT PEOPLE MIGHT THINK IT DOES. WHERE U GET YOUR INFO FROM? CHALEN HAS NO CRIMINAL RECORD STUPID. AND I HOPE HE GETS WHAT IS COMING 2 HIM 2, WHICH IS JUSTICE. THIS IS THE WAY I LIVE..... IF JUSTICE IS SERVED EQUALLY LIKE THE F****D UP SYSTEM IS SUPPOSED 2 MAKE SURE OF, ALL OF THE BOYS ARRESTED WILL DO THEIR TIME, AS WELL AS THE REMAINING "JOCKS" INVOLVED THAT NIGHT, BUT FOR ASSAULT, GBI AT WORST, NOT MURDER. CHALEN WINTERS, ALEX FERGUSEN, AND CHRIS DAY, WE ALL LOVE U. DONT TRIP!!!!!!!!

I had two fractured heels that night and I still got up to try and run to mikes side but couldn't because 10-15 people all throwing rocks at me. And you never went to his aid half of you guys brutally kicked as he lay their dying!!!!!!!!!!
wow

Montclair, CA

#161 Jun 20, 2012
Other side wrote:
<quoted text>
I had two fractured heels that night and I still got up to try and run to mikes side but couldn't because 10-15 people all throwing rocks at me. And you never went to his aid half of you guys brutally kicked as he lay their dying!!!!!!!!!!
Dear other side, This could not be any further from the truth. You are still lying I see. Just as they proved in court. Still will never know why none of you went to jail. And if you did not have weapons, then tell me why 2 of the "skaters" as the DA calls them, had gashes in their head? The ONLY reason this did not come out at trial was because Chalens Attorney at trial barely new the case after 3 years. He admitted it himself on the stand that he never saw the investigation reports. That is kind of strange, since they were in his files. Call it lazy, call it an Attorney that needs to be disbarred. And you as the DA calls "jocks" should have been put in jail also. And when you speak as a group, really irratates me, as Chalen tried to help Mike, He would not kick him after he was down. He tried to help him and called 911. But did any of this come out at the trial. NO. Because Chalens Attorney was horrid. The jury only got to hear your side of the story, twisted police reports, and the prosecutors side. The "skaters were told if they did not say what the police reports say, that they would be put in jail for murder. Yes, that is our justice system for you. Be glad you are free to live your life. And hopefully you have quit bullying kids.
free chalen

Montclair, CA

#162 Jul 22, 2012
YOU ARE ALL WRONG wrote:
You have no idea what happened. The police reports are all lies. If you are dumb enough to believe police reports, and a jury of raisins, then so be it. Winters was railroaded. Just stay tuned for part 2. You will all be apologizing to Winters.
Do you people even know how the prosecution and the police threaten you into saying things that you did not see!!!! corrupt system. No..nobody deserved to die. But Winters does not deserve first degree murder. They give serial killers first degree murder. For GOD sakes. I know everyone admits, all parties should have been punished here. But as we all know, that was not the case now was it.
This was pure and simple self defence. Chalen needs to be set free. Does anyone see this is just about moving up the ladder and money? Our justice system does not care about the truth. They are just legal crooks and bad people. Including Chalens trial Attorney. Watch out for him. he just takes money from the state and did not spend hardly any of it on the case. He did not even finish paying the investigator. He did not even look at the investigators work. He admitted it on the stand. What is wrong with that Judge. I used to beleive in our justice system. Not anymore. Just a bunch of crooks. After they are done they just say..NEXT.
Ghost

Bullhead City, AZ

#163 Oct 16, 2012
free chalen wrote:
<quoted text>This was pure and simple self defence. Chalen needs to be set free. Does anyone see this is just about moving up the ladder and money? Our justice system does not care about the truth. They are just legal crooks and bad people. Including Chalens trial Attorney. Watch out for him. he just takes money from the state and did not spend hardly any of it on the case. He did not even finish paying the investigator. He did not even look at the investigators work. He admitted it on the stand. What is wrong with that Judge. I used to beleive in our justice system. Not anymore. Just a bunch of crooks. After they are done they just say..NEXT.
Its really sad that in this world you cant protect yourself, your family, or your home. This was self defense. I was in West Valley Detention Center with Chalen. He is one of the nicest people you could ever meet and I feel really bad for him. He doesnt deserve a life sentence at all! Fuxk the law bcz its totally wrong on this case!!!!!!
lOVE

Montclair, CA

#165 Jan 12, 2013
teamchalen wrote:
Chalen, I love you, everyone who has ever met you loves you, your smile sets of an incredible light, your happiness is instantly contagious, and not feeling love for such a great person like you is impossible. everyone who doubts you is wrong and one day they will all see it. no one wants to listen to the lower class kids but you know what? you are rich, in friends and family and love, real love, not just people who want to be seen with you for petty things like money or cars or your clothes, everyone who is in your life is here because our love will never quit. and a bad person would never be loved or admired as much as someone with a pure heart, such as yourself. i made you a promise before you walked through the doors of the big bear police department, and i plan to make it happen somehow. i love you, bro and i wont give up, none of us will.
We love you Chalen. You are so very missed and loved. The justice systym is so messed up and crooked. They know that this is self defence, they also know they have the wrong person. Just as long as they have someone, they are happy. Keep your good heart Chalen, and know you are loved and missed so much.
friend of chalen

Las Vegas, NV

#166 Jun 15, 2013
Logical wrote:
This Chalen guy should rot. I can tell none of you are probably over the age of 21 if that and your immature way of thinking shows that. The end result is that he MURDERED someone. If there is a fight, neither party is innocent but murder is murder "accidental" or not. Being picked on is not an excuse to commit violence. He has a criminal record and obviously did not want a better life for himself otherwise he wouldnt have gotten himself into this situation. He will get what's coming to him and so will all of you if you choose to live the same kind of life.
How dare you talk about him this way and all of us for that matter. We have all grown up, had kids, have good lives we made for ourselves and worked for and you act like you know us and can judge us. I am 24 years old and have two daughters and still to this day i will say that Chalen was and still is the most kimd hearted person i have ever had the privilage of knowing. If you were with 10 of your friends and your fifteen year old sister and a group of 30 big, bulky sportsy guys came to YOUR house threatening to seriously hurt you, your friends and your baby sister, please tell me, what the fuck would you do??? Sit there and say "hey, take the fifteen year old first"? He is a kind hearted and innocent man. And as for his "criminal record", you know nothing about it, the most it is is maybe a drunk in public and speeding or paking ticket. You dont know him yet you judge as if you do. You are a close-minded and sad person, and i PRAY that God saves you and opens your mind to true reality. Until then dont speak of him in that way. No one can judge but the Lord Himself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Bernardino County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Vagos motorcycle club targeted in Southern Cali... (Mar '06) Tue Ted 4,833
News : Woman high on drugs breaks into home in Runni... (Aug '08) Jul '16 Coop 25
What happen to third shooter? (Feb '16) Mar '16 Observer 2
News Donald Trump calls for Apple boycott over San B... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Billy 1
News Should Los Angeles have closed schools when fac... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Ronald 7
News San Bernardino County supervisors approve packa... (Dec '15) Dec '15 1MarketingChick 1
looking for real witnesses? (Dec '15) Dec '15 curious George 1
More from around the web