Last year's Sheriff's Office budget b...

Last year's Sheriff's Office budget becomes campaign issue for Humb...

There are 33 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from May 30, 2010, titled Last year's Sheriff's Office budget becomes campaign issue for Humb.... In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

Budgets are often a campaign issue for politicians and this year it has become a central sticking point in the Humboldt County sheriff's race.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
grampa

San Antonio, TX

#21 May 31, 2010
Bonnie Neely ist Heil Farmer's wife?! Undt he lent her kampaign kash? Surely we fool some people some time but not alll...OHHH SUUURE...wake up!
grampa

San Antonio, TX

#22 May 31, 2010
Anonymous wrote:
In this recession, it should be easy to recruit officers for the jail. But as long as officers can get obscene amounts of overtime, people will see to it that there aren't enough officers to go around. It's that simple.
I think rent-a-cops should be used at the jail before overtime is allowed. It's hardly San Quentin.
well hell yes, lets be good libertarian-republikans and privatize it all, an army of mercenaries sworn to Halliburtan. Ive got a prize chunk of border AZ real estate, just waiting for the feds to truly instate personal rights to corporations, then I will swoop...big biz Reaganomics, baby...
Lucie

United States

#23 May 31, 2010
Vallejo must wait for CHP help
Deployment of trooper task force on hold at least until July 1
By Jessica A. York / Times-Herald
Posted: 05/27/2010 01:02:12 AM PDT

www.timesheraldonline.com/ci_15172168
Les

United States

#24 May 31, 2010
Public safety covers all of US, good and bad.

Public safety is our police and fire personnel. Cuts in this area should be minimal, but their pay and benefits should not choke a community. Many do.

We also have the free loaders who choke a community by accepting money and services at no cost to them. Only serves to enable.

You see where this is going. ALL areas need to be adjusted, so that all benefit. If not, you won't appreciate a darn thing when it all collapses.
Not Buying It

Santa Rosa, CA

#25 May 31, 2010
Downey has no more law enforcement education than a newbie straight from the CR academy.

Hislop, on the other hand, has a Bachelor of Science Degree, three Associate of Science Degrees, a graduate of the FBI Academy and hold a Peace Officer Standards and Training Management Certificate.
watcher

Arcata, CA

#26 May 31, 2010
Hey Not Buying It, dont forget Hislops B.S Degree in B.S.
Freedom marcher

Los Angeles, CA

#27 May 31, 2010
There would be a lot more money to spread around with the legalization of marijuana . Legalizing marijuana would bring the number of drunks down meaning less crime and violence leading to a savings to Law enforcement not to mention all the tax money this County would benefit from .
grampa

San Antonio, TX

#28 May 31, 2010
Gawd I love it....everyone kicking on Paul G and not getting the gist of the previous Sub-Standard post....Bonnie Neely is married to Terry Farmer and he loaned her money....bwahahaha you are fools!
grampa

San Antonio, TX

#29 May 31, 2010
yeah we aint talking Terry Farmer Grand Funk Railroad...talking about a true arssehole....so, those who were here before the Paul G, refresh your minds...
Lost Coast Alumni

United States

#30 May 31, 2010
Not Buying It wrote:
Downey has no more law enforcement education than a newbie straight from the CR academy.
Hislop, on the other hand, has a Bachelor of Science Degree, three Associate of Science Degrees, a graduate of the FBI Academy and hold a Peace Officer Standards and Training Management Certificate.
And Hislop has how may years in the Humboldt Sheriff's Office? A piece of paper doesn't mean you have what it takes to run an entire Sheriff's Department, but the backing of the deputy's says Mike Downey has what it takes!
Seriously

Brentwood, TN

#31 May 31, 2010
Not Buying It wrote:
What a joke. Is this person serious? You can't seriously be ignoring or disregarding the fact that Downey has served the people of Humboldt County through the Sheriff's Office for 24 years? He's held every possible position within the SO. Downey has never worked for the Sheriff's Dept. Why would you want to bring in someone who has absolutely no experience in running an office of that size. Downey has received every possible endorsement sought. This is a no-brainer. Fortunataly, if this forum is any indication, the overwhelming number of residents in Humboldt County can see right through Hislop's ignorant, naive, and baseless talking points. I can't wait for this election so that Hislop can take his narcassistic and egotistical self back to the DA's office. Hopefully Gallegos will lose and Hislop can be removed from there as well. Humboldt deserves better than people like Hislop and Gallegos. They deserve honest and upstanding public servants like Philp, Downey, Bass-Jackson, and Allison Jackson.
hoss71

Mckinleyville, CA

#32 May 31, 2010
VOR wrote:
Although Downey and Hislop each have good qualities, I think running the Sheriff's office is completely out of Hislop's league. I am also not impressed with the negativity and finger pointing of his campaign ads. He does not inspire trust - something a little shady there.
I totally agree with you. I watched the interviews that were aired on PBS and all I heard was the finger pointing from Hislop. Nothing that would make me want to vote for him. I am also voting for Downey.
Its what I do

Renton, WA

#33 Jun 3, 2010
I sent in my absentee ballot for Downey a few days ago. In my Bachelor's Degree in United States Politics and Government opinion, I think he is the clear choice.

Also, I dont get why supporters of Hislop keep mentioning his Associate's degrees. The only people who get Associate's degrees are people who go to a junior college before a four year university. If you go straight to a four year university you dont receive an Associate's degree. Summery: I'm not impressed by Hislop's education.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

San Benito County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
You might be a stalker if... Feb '16 whatareyoulookingat 1
News 101 Fighting Cocks Siezed from Home; 400 Found ... (Jun '13) Apr '15 Un agenda 21 and ... 6
News Another Cockfighting Bust in Hollister Friday M... (Dec '12) Jan '15 Un agenda 21 and ... 25
News Large pot operation cleared in San Juan Bautist... (Aug '14) Aug '14 anonymous 1
News Hollister Man Arrested on Four Arson Charges (Feb '13) Jun '14 Victor Gomez 2
News San Benito County workers plan actions (Oct '13) Oct '13 Val I Entes 1
News Hollister teen arrested for attempted murder (Oct '13) Oct '13 Werner Klemperer 1
More from around the web