Midway man dies in traffic crash - Th...

Midway man dies in traffic crash - The Park Record

There are 46 comments on the Park Record story from Sep 13, 2010, titled Midway man dies in traffic crash - The Park Record. In it, Park Record reports that:

A 45-year-old Midway man is dead after the Volkswagen Jetta he was driving was struck by a Jeep Cherokee in Parleys Canyon.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Park Record.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
bryan gertz

Park City, UT

#1 Sep 13, 2010
I am saddened and sickened to hear that another person has lost their life on I-80 near Parleys summit. How many more people have to die before UDOT finally places a barrier in the median separating the eastbound and westbound lanes. Why cant they see how important it is to have this barrier in place so that cars are not able to cross the median and hit other traffic head on. I can recall several accidents along this stretch of I-80 in which cars have crossed the median and hit other cars killing people. I dont understand why they have a partial barrier along I-80 further down the canyon but no barrier near the summit where it is needed the most. This is where cars are most vulnerable. UDOT, PLEASE WAKE UP AND INSTALL A BARRIER IN THE MEDIAN OF I-80 NEAR THE SUMMIT so no more people have to die needlessly.
Amen

Salt Lake City, UT

#2 Sep 13, 2010
Commiserations! Thankfully the accident wasn’t much worse. However, anyone that was stuck in the queue (we were stuck for 3 hrs) trying to get home to Park City or on their way to another destination were probably as shocked as we were when we learned it was only a two vehicle one fatality accident.

So why did 5 ambulances arrive? Why did more than 15 Utah Highway Patrol cars and SUVs arrive? How come it took over 3 hours to let traffic get through?

I sure hope the Utah HWY Patrol and responders get their act together and learn from this. If this had been during a winter storm would anyone have suffocated in their cars due to carbon monoxide poisoning? How many cars would be stranded? Geez imagine if it was a blizzard

With the army that arrived flares should have been put down and the road should have been opened in an hour! Three + hours may have been necessary for a 10-20 car pile-up but this was ridiculous

Grade F

Also I hope some of the excess police nailed the idiots that sped around other cars on the sides or tried following police cars on the gravel...what a mess...

As for the I hope the 20 year old fool that caused the accident I sure hope if there is a next time he is one and only fatality.
Myself

Salt Lake City, UT

#3 Sep 13, 2010
Whining about too many cops and ambulances responding to an accident? How dare someone inconvenience you by dying in your way.

Here's to wondering if you'd feel differently had it been a member of your family.

Your grade as a human being: Incomplete.
Tragic

Midway, UT

#4 Sep 13, 2010
To Amen: you truly are selfish. so sorry that your night was inconvienced when there was a loss of a neighbor, father, husband, public servant.

I agree, you receive an incomplete grade as a human being.

More importantly, thoughts are with the family for very tragic loss. Two little girls lost their daddy that night.
Myself

Salt Lake City, UT

#5 Sep 13, 2010
"shocked as we were when we learned it was only a two vehicle one fatality accident"

I re-read this an am newly disgusted, as this last statement was missed in my first read.

Would you have been more pleased, or felt your wait was better justified if more people had been killed?

You suck.
Joel Moskal

United States

#6 Sep 13, 2010
Amen wrote:
Commiserations! Thankfully the accident wasn’t much worse. However, anyone that was stuck in the queue (we were stuck for 3 hrs) trying to get home to Park City or on their way to another destination were probably as shocked as we were when we learned it was only a two vehicle one fatality accident.
So why did 5 ambulances arrive? Why did more than 15 Utah Highway Patrol cars and SUVs arrive? How come it took over 3 hours to let traffic get through?
I sure hope the Utah HWY Patrol and responders get their act together and learn from this. If this had been during a winter storm would anyone have suffocated in their cars due to carbon monoxide poisoning? How many cars would be stranded? Geez imagine if it was a blizzard
With the army that arrived flares should have been put down and the road should have been opened in an hour! Three + hours may have been necessary for a 10-20 car pile-up but this was ridiculous
Grade F
Also I hope some of the excess police nailed the idiots that sped around other cars on the sides or tried following police cars on the gravel...what a mess...
As for the I hope the 20 year old fool that caused the accident I sure hope if there is a next time he is one and only fatality.
To Amen: Your post in unfucking believable. A family lost a loving husband and father and their lives will never be the same. How dare you ever complain that you were stuck in traffic. Carbon monoxide poisoning, really? You are an idiot.
Myself

Salt Lake City, UT

#7 Sep 13, 2010
Joel Moskal wrote:
<quoted text>
To Amen: Your post in unfucking believable. A family lost a loving husband and father and their lives will never be the same. How dare you ever complain that you were stuck in traffic. Carbon monoxide poisoning, really? You are an idiot.
Good point. What a stretch. I might die of CO2! Whaaaaa. What, in addition to having no soul, he also lacks the common sense to crack his window when stuck in traffic in the winter? CO2 poisoning would be too nice of a way for him to go. That comment is one of the worst I've ever read. When he has an accident, hopefully they'll just kick him to the curb until rush hour is over.

Since: Jan 10

Park City

#8 Sep 13, 2010
Very sad.. My condolences to the family.

Beyond the fact that it's the law, staying out of the left lane (except for passing)can keep a person out of accidents like this. Most of the head-on's I've seen on Parleys in the last 25 years have involved a person being hit while driving in the left land. That extra 10-15 feet can make a huge difference.

Seriously

Park City, UT

#9 Sep 13, 2010
Condolences to the family. It's tragic to lose a life. It is only made worse by the fact that he was a fireman, and this was 9/11. Support your local Emergency Service workers!

I think the other posters before me have already covered what I would have said to "Amen."
Grant from PC

Salt Lake City, UT

#11 Sep 14, 2010
To Amen: Seriously did I really read your comment right??? Were you that coddled so much as a child that you are now a selfish, inconsiderate human being? I think so.

My condolences to the family. I know your lives will never be the same.
local girl

Sandy, UT

#13 Sep 14, 2010
So who the heck can get barriers installed? I am the mom to three young children living in Summit Park. I refuse to drive my children down/up I-80 unless we are visiting the Children's Hospital in SLC. Three years ago I was heading East bound .1 miles past the Lamb's Canyon exit when a Gold Toyota Tundra with a fifth wheel camper lost control, crossed the median and slid directly in front of my small car (only had two kids at this time). I avoided the collision as I saw it coming (also avoided the traffic jam that built up behind the crash as I scraped by the truck by 3 feet (at most). I ALWAYS watch cars in the other lane, but in reality that large truck with camper could have killed myself and very young children! I have met the mom who lost her three year old daughter down by the Lambs exit and it is NOTHING any family should endure do to the simple fact that there is no flipping interstate barrier!!!! In what other state would this be legal?
local girl

Sandy, UT

#14 Sep 14, 2010
Correction from previous post : "due to the simple fact."

I am sickened that another person had to die. It is one thing when the mentally insane guy drove his Subaru outback while heading West across the median into an oil tanker and killed himself (I was on I-80 with my kids for that one). But another accidental killing of a human being on I-80 near Parley's Summit makes me more than angry at UDOT. If I were this man's family I would attempt to take UDOT to court; if it were possible.
Totally Uninformed

Delray Beach, FL

#16 Sep 15, 2010
local girl wrote:
I am sickened that another person had to die.
Indeed.

Nobody has mentioned the possibility of lowering the speed limit.

Since: Jan 10

Park City

#17 Sep 15, 2010
Totally Uninformed wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed.
Nobody has mentioned the possibility of lowering the speed limit.
Parleys is perfectly safe at 75 - 80. If everyone exercised lane control and stays alert there would be many fewer accidents.

Why?
Totally Uninformed

Delray Beach, FL

#18 Sep 15, 2010
lower case dave wrote:
<quoted text> Parleys is perfectly safe at 75 - 80. If everyone exercised lane control and stays alert there would be many fewer accidents.
Why?
If everyone on I-80 was a formula one driver it would probably be fine. But the physics of a vehicle going down a 7% grade at 75mph makes it more like it's going 90mph. On the hairy edge of control, one little slip up and it's game over. Throw in the curves, heavy traffic, people playing with smart phones, and maybe some bad weather and it's, well, quite literally an accident waiting to happen.
Alex

Midvale, UT

#19 Sep 15, 2010
Condolences to the family. Barriers are necessary. The traffic is only going to get worse.
Summit Tax Payer

United States

#20 Sep 15, 2010
lower case dave wrote:
<quoted text> Parleys is perfectly safe at 75 - 80. If everyone exercised lane control and stays alert there would be many fewer accidents.
Why?
Next time you drive the canyon maybe look at the speed limit sign its only a 65MPH zone...

So sad for the family may god be with them at this time...
bryan gertz

Park City, UT

#21 Sep 15, 2010
Totally Uninformed wrote:
<quoted text>
If everyone on I-80 was a formula one driver it would probably be fine. But the physics of a vehicle going down a 7% grade at 75mph makes it more like it's going 90mph. On the hairy edge of control, one little slip up and it's game over. Throw in the curves, heavy traffic, people playing with smart phones, and maybe some bad weather and it's, well, quite literally an accident waiting to happen.
All the things you said are true, that is why it is unfathomable that there are no barriers along this incredibly vulnerable area along I-80.
Steve

Bascom, OH

#22 Sep 15, 2010
Totally Uninformed wrote:
<quoted text>
If everyone on I-80 was a formula one driver it would probably be fine. But the physics of a vehicle going down a 7% grade at 75mph makes it more like it's going 90mph. On the hairy edge of control, one little slip up and it's game over. Throw in the curves, heavy traffic, people playing with smart phones, and maybe some bad weather and it's, well, quite literally an accident waiting to happen.
You didn't mention people driving 55mph in the left lane because "they have the right". I suggest you compare these conditions to most autobahns in Germany, faster cars, no speend limits, and less accidents. Why? The LAW prohibits left lane obstructive drivers, and drivers follow the rules. Here, the police accept people on cell phones in the left lane driving below the pace of traffic, and accidents happen as a result. Barriers yes, but enforce driving rules!!

Since: Jan 10

South Jordan, UT

#23 Sep 15, 2010
Steve, the "driving rules" include a maximum speed of 65 MPH. Let's enforce that rule first.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salt Lake County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ugly Valley Music Thread (Aug '16) Oct '17 Musikologist 4
News Mormon church to weigh in on gay marriage ban (Feb '14) Oct '17 pearl street 3
News Name of man who shot neighbor Murray shooting s... (Jun '17) Jul '17 Cchristoff 2
News Murray man charged with murder (Jun '17) Jun '17 batbara naquin 1
News Police: Murray man shoots, assaults man while d... (Jun '17) Jun '17 c u ontheotherside 1
News USC linebacker Osa Masina charged with first-de... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Ruined life 1
News Waldorf Schools in Utah?? Where are they? (Oct '11) Mar '16 Ivy Prep Academy 4
More from around the web