Rancher found guilty in sheep-dog cas...

Rancher found guilty in sheep-dog case - The Park Record

There are 16 comments on the Park Record story from Aug 21, 2009, titled Rancher found guilty in sheep-dog case - The Park Record. In it, Park Record reports that:

A Snyderville Basin rancher who campaigned in 2004 for a seat on the Summit County Commission was found guilty Friday of two counts of allowing a dog to attack a person or animal.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Park Record.

Herringbone

Driggs, WY

#1 Aug 22, 2009
Isn't this the same gentleman the proclaimed that he "didn't own any sheep dogs" when he campaigned for a Summit County Commission seat? The community using the trail network should be pleased that justice has been done. Who's pulling the wool over whose eyes now?
PC local

Salt Lake City, UT

#2 Aug 22, 2009
Does anyone else realize that the dog is doin what it was breed to do? There are signs letting people know livestock dogs are on-duty, to aviod the area, and LEASH your dogs. Not that I like this particular rancher or care for his politics, but really people, learn to read posted signs and control your dogs.
Rick Whitty

Springville, UT

#3 Aug 22, 2009
The Record got the dates when my dog and Naomi was bit. My dog was bit by the guard dogs on Sept 14 and Naomi was bit on Sept 19. We complained to animal control and animal control could do nothing or did nothing. If animal control had taken my complaint seriously then Naomi would not have had to go through the Rabies treatment.
Rick Whitty

Springville, UT

#4 Aug 22, 2009
Oh and PC local we are not complaining about the dogs. We were complaining that Rabies certification for these dogs was not provided by the owner after the bites. Once again Naomi would not have had to go through the treatments.
Victim as well

Salt Lake City, UT

#5 Aug 23, 2009
Rick,
in the spring of 2003 I was hiking up to Red Pine Lodge. I was under the impression that the trail was public. As I closed in on Red Pine Lodge, one of the Osguthorpes dog came at me. I was terrified and thought "Well, this figures, I'm going to be mauled by a dog."
My dog who was leashed but I dropped her leash in fear from this nasty sheep dog, in which she ran into the woods. I believe she saved me. She knew that dog was going to maul me. The sheep dog then went after my dog as I my opportunity to run the opposite way came about. My dog, who was very agile and easily out ran Osguthorpes dog caught up with me later in the trail as we ran to safety.
I called animal control to report it and was told that because it was private property, my complaint didn't matter. How interesting that my neighbor had a false claim made against her on her property about her dog and had to go to court to defend her name and dog. Animal control plays favorites in this town and I have no respect for their take on things.
GOOD FOR YOU for winning this case! Finally, justice is served. You have my unabashed support!!
Victim as well

Salt Lake City, UT

#6 Aug 23, 2009
Sorry about the horrible grammatical errors in my above post. I was so passionate in hitting send that I did not proof read.

The trails that Osguthorpes sheep graze on IS portrayed in the trail system map as being public.

Osguthorpe needs to pay for his atrocities in this town!
Carey Gross

United States

#7 Aug 23, 2009
HI. I was driving about one month ago on the dirt road out of Jeremy Ranch..I think it's also called East Canyon. I was just driving, and yes, there are the "Cattle OPen Range" Signs and then you cross the cattle guard and then go into another county(don't know what it is..) Anyway, as i was driving along, all of a sudden, the famous sheep herd that Park City is known about, is right there. I obviously, slowed down, stopped and waved to the adorable sheep....then, this dog comes out of the sage brush and is sooo mean! BArking at me in my truck! Snarling, no human around, and i am trying to pass the herd of sheep...Then , i finaly get to the end of the sheep herd, and there is another white dog. I think they are Anatolians'?? It was barely walking, severly dragging it's left hind lag...It was definitely a broken leg. It was a dirty dog, a lot skinnier than the dog in the front...It collapsed in the middle of the road, i got out of my truck, but sensed that this is not a dog that will let me help it....So, i got back into my truck and continued on my road trip on east Canyon...
This bothered me the rest of the week. i did not know what to do, who to call, but it seems like if this is the same sheep herder, and if it is Osguthorpe, i wanted to also share this. I don't know how many sheep herders there are..and ones that have these beautiful large white dogs.....
Hope this gets read....and i hope these "legendary, historic" farmers understand that this is not cool.
JCM

Park City, UT

#8 Aug 23, 2009
Carey...I believe that land in East Canyon is not owned by the Osguthorpes. I've heard the name before but it's escaping me. I'm not sure but that could be the same herd that I hear around the Flying Dog trail way up high. Two seasons ago a guy waited for me to ride by him on my bike because the day before he was chased by a sheep dog. I guess he wanted me to "buffer" him.

Really though, these dogs are trained to protect the sheep. However, I think it's BS that they will attack cyclists/hikers as they pass by...they are some mean dogs. Hope I don't have to experience them on the trails.
PC Guy

Orem, UT

#9 Aug 23, 2009
as I have said in the past, lawsuits, successfully prosecuted, may eventually cause folks to control their dogs according to the law. Well done.
Born and Raised

Park City, UT

#10 Aug 25, 2009
Wow, there are a lot of irrational people posting here. Farmers have a right to raise stock on their own property. It is standard practice to protect their animals with sheep dogs. These dogs are trained and bred to protect the herd. When you enter their herd they view you as a threat. Common sense is a trait that is dieing in our community. This rancher and his family have done more to help this comunity than all of you posting above combined. Everyone in this community benefits from the property they own. You should all stop bashing and start thanking them, and take a little time to study the history of Park City and appreciate its heritage!
PC Taxpayer

Ogden, UT

#11 Aug 26, 2009
Born and Raised wrote:
You should all stop bashing and start thanking them, and take a little time to study the history of Park City and appreciate its heritage!
You can take your "heritage" and shove it. This man's animal attacked a human and another animal on public trails. He is responsible for the behavior of his dog, and apparently was initially uncooperative about providing evidence of rabies vaccine, thereby requiring the human victim to undergo a series of horribly painful injections. His family's prominence and public contributions are no excuse for his flagrantly irresponsible behavior towards other people. The fines and reimbursements to the victims will be chump change for this man, but at least he has been officially notified that he is NOT above the law.
JCM

Park City, UT

#12 Aug 31, 2009
PC Taxpayer...was it public lands or a trail through land that he leases to The Canyons? If it's the latter than I'd say he has every right to graze his animals there.
PC Taxpayer

Ogden, UT

#13 Aug 31, 2009
JCM wrote:
PC Taxpayer...was it public lands or a trail through land that he leases to The Canyons? If it's the latter than I'd say he has every right to graze his animals there.
It is marked on trail maps as public, and it wasn't the grazing animals that attacked. I don't have much fear of off-leash cows.
macutak

Salt Lake City, UT

#14 Nov 2, 2009
The problem is not his use of the land, it is his injury to people and then evasive and deceptive behaviour. His dog attacked a horse rider this September in the same canyon. Sheepherder said he would shoot the dog as it is a "bad dog" and chases bikers and elk. But the "owner" wont let me. Then Osguthorpe turns in a "stray" $3,000 dog that has been kicked by a horse and says it is not his. The victim cracked his head open on a rock and has 5 children and suffered a brain injury. Osguthorpes response, "you have the wrong guy, I don't know what you are talking about." Really, even though you turned in a "stray" white sheep dog off your property which you previously reported as the only breed you will use for your sheep. Funny how many $3,000 "stray" sheep dogs turn up attacking people on your property. Oh well, you have contributed so much to the community, I guess you are entiteled to brain injury a few residents with no consequeces. You are one cool dude.
outdoorsman

Salt Lake City, UT

#15 Dec 22, 2009
Born and Raised wrote:
Wow, there are a lot of irrational people posting here. Farmers have a right to raise stock on their own property. It is standard practice to protect their animals with sheep dogs. These dogs are trained and bred to protect the herd. When you enter their herd they view you as a threat. Common sense is a trait that is dieing in our community. This rancher and his family have done more to help this comunity than all of you posting above combined. Everyone in this community benefits from the property they own. You should all stop bashing and start thanking them, and take a little time to study the history of Park City and appreciate its heritage!
funny thing about your comment. i have hiked and hunted near these animals my entire life and i agree to what you say it has some truth to it.. i even know the family who owns the sheep and dogs.... if they have done so much for their community than why would you run when one of your work dog has caused injury to someone from said community. if hes all ready done so much good when bad comes in to play why not face it head on. like i have said before a dog is a dog but the owner must be willing to take care of whatever its invlolved in.. common sense- if its happened before(multiple times) be ready for it to happen again
outdoorsman

Salt Lake City, UT

#16 Dec 22, 2009
oh by the way when his dogs attacked the guy who hit his head and has five kids etc... the herder had accidentally wondered onto park city ski mountain area and they were not on their repective property if they would have been, they probably wouldn,t have a problem. but as most of the old farmers and herders do-- until there is a problem they do not change what they are doing even if its wrong. as long as they aren't getting called on it. i have talked to gillmore and bitner both large sheep guys-- they have both said- when the dog goes bad its bad but if you don't do anything about it its only time before something happens whether its widlife loss, attacks or injury.. this comes from the mouths of brian bitner and louis gillmore. i have met them both over the years on the mountain..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salt Lake County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ugly Valley Music Thread Aug 11 Musikologist 1
News Waldorf Schools in Utah?? Where are they? (Oct '11) Mar '16 Ivy Prep Academy 4
Moving to Salt Lake area and need advice (Nov '15) Nov '15 Christi09er 1
News Troopers drive 87-year-old across Utah to see son (Dec '14) Dec '14 DILF 8
News Race for Salt Lake County district attorney cou... (Oct '14) Oct '14 BuckWoody 2
News Mormon church to weigh in on gay marriage ban (Feb '14) Feb '14 not ashamed 2
News Federal judge rules Utah same-sex marriage ban ... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Cordwainer Trout 5
More from around the web