BYU Student Murder Suspect Pleads Guilty after 35 Years

Full story: Fox13Now

In a surprise plea deal Friday, Gerald Hicker, 58, admitted his role in a 35-year old, cold case murder.
Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated Aug 7, 2010
Rebecca Thomas

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2010

I was a BYU coed at the time of the murder of Barbara Jean Rocky. Gerald and Barbara were to go out on a double date with my roommate Carol and her fiance Wade. Before this double date (that never took place due to the murder of Barbara)was scheduled, there had been two rapes at an apartment complex across from Brownstone Apartments where I lived. Gerald Hicker, who was a roommate of Wade, my roommate's fiance, brought a gun to our apartment and told us to keep it there to protect ourselves from the unidentified rapist. We were young and ignorant about guns. My roommates and I kept the gun in a fruit bowl on top of the refrigerator. The day of the double date, Gerald Hicker came to our apartment asking if we had seen Barbara. He couldn't find her. Soon he told us that he had found a note from Barbara telling Gerald she had gone to the mountains with some friends. I can't remember the exact timing, but it seemed it was either that evening or the next day Barbara's body was discovered in the mountains. It wasn't until my roommates and I were getting ready for early morning classes one day that we heard on the radio that Gerald Hicker was a suspect in the murder of Barbara Jean Rocky. It was a horrifying morning, realizing we had the possible murder weapon at our house. The police came and I thought from that time on that Gerald Hicker had been convicted of the murder. I was shocked to receive news about Hicker that he had just recently confessed to the murder of Miss Rocky and that all of these years he had been free and living amongst the public. How bizarre to have this story come back into my life after so many years had passed since the actual incident. I pray that Barbara Rocky's parents and family may have the peace they deserve.
Alicia Townes

Greensboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2010

All I can say is that I am glad that he tunned himself in

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Salt Lake County Discussions

Search the Salt Lake County Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Mormon church to weigh in on gay marriage ban Feb '14 not ashamed 2
Federal judge rules Utah same-sex marriage ban ... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Cordwainer Trout 5
Riverton sledding hill controversy (Nov '10) Nov '13 The showbow 2
Voters reject $495M Jordan School District bond (Nov '13) Nov '13 jat 1
Red 'honey' in Utah may come from candy-fed bees (Sep '13) Sep '13 tallyho 7
Waldorf Schools in Utah?? Where are they? (Oct '11) Jul '13 The Waldorf Review 3
'It's time for a tax increase,' Salt Lake Count... (Nov '12) Nov '12 NonConsumer 1
•••
•••