VA Superintendents Call for Increased State Funding

Tuesday, superintendents from both sides of the Blue Ridge gathered to offer a common message to Richmond. Full Story
Too late

Moneta, VA

#1 Feb 26, 2013
Isn't VA General Assembly over for the year? Why yes it is...Sine Die (adjouring) was February 23. They will reconvene briefly on 4/3.

While the message is somewhat okay, perhaps they'd have been more effective if they actually knew when our state government operated.
Intheloop

Moneta, VA

#2 Feb 26, 2013
These superintendents have spent numerous hours talking with legislators since last October. This Press Conference was intended to inform the public of their message.
Caught in the Vise

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Feb 26, 2013
Federal school funding is being cut. The sequestration will cut much more. State funding is being cut. Local funding is being cut.

As a teacher, I have seen my pay frozen or cut each year for the last 6. With layoffs, my workload and class load has increased. I now work an average of 72 hours a week. The stress has taken a toll on many of my fellow teachers, and have seen two of them fall in the pas year, one from a heart attack, and one from a stroke. My health insurance has more than doubled to 47% of my paycheck, but covers far less.

My take-home pay in actual dollars in now less than in was as a new teacher in 2000. Factoring for inflation and cost of living in gas, utilities, etc., and my buying power is actually 55% of what it was on day one. Because my school no longer furnishes supplies, I have spent $1340 out of pocket to make sure my students have what they need.

Because of this, I have been labeled an overpaid government parasite, a drain on the economy, and a lazy do-nothing. A retiree wearing a Tea Party "Don't tread on me" t-shirt actually spit on me in the grocery store last month when they heard I was a teacher.

I still show up every morning, smile, teach, encourage, mentor, and motivate my students to do far more than they believe is possible. I do my best to shield them from what is systematically being taken away from them at every level. I can't do it anymore.

I have been offered a job as a truck driver where my take home pay will more than double.

I still have not figured out how to tell my students that I will not be able to be back for them next year. Maybe you can find a way to explain that the majority of voters no longer care about or value education to them. I can't.
Face the TRUTH

Washington, DC

#4 Feb 26, 2013
Caught in the Vise wrote:
Federal school funding is being cut. The sequestration will cut much more. State funding is being cut. Local funding is being cut.
As a teacher, I have seen my pay frozen or cut each year for the last 6. With layoffs, my workload and class load has increased. I now work an average of 72 hours a week. The stress has taken a toll on many of my fellow teachers, and have seen two of them fall in the pas year, one from a heart attack, and one from a stroke. My health insurance has more than doubled to 47% of my paycheck, but covers far less.
My take-home pay in actual dollars in now less than in was as a new teacher in 2000. Factoring for inflation and cost of living in gas, utilities, etc., and my buying power is actually 55% of what it was on day one. Because my school no longer furnishes supplies, I have spent $1340 out of pocket to make sure my students have what they need.
Because of this, I have been labeled an overpaid government parasite, a drain on the economy, and a lazy do-nothing. A retiree wearing a Tea Party "Don't tread on me" t-shirt actually spit on me in the grocery store last month when they heard I was a teacher.
I still show up every morning, smile, teach, encourage, mentor, and motivate my students to do far more than they believe is possible. I do my best to shield them from what is systematically being taken away from them at every level. I can't do it anymore.
I have been offered a job as a truck driver where my take home pay will more than double.
I still have not figured out how to tell my students that I will not be able to be back for them next year. Maybe you can find a way to explain that the majority of voters no longer care about or value education to them. I can't.
Maybe if you got a real job that was full time and worked more than 9 months a year you wouldn't be such a whiny self entitled leech!

You teachers make me sick with the constant more more more money grubbing!

Don't let the door hit you on the way out! One less government paycheck out of our pockets!
Wow

Scottsville, VA

#5 Feb 27, 2013
Did I miss the meeting where they said they have enough taxpayer money to spend?
Truth

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Feb 27, 2013
Politicians would rather support programs to gather mass votes instead of what the constitution of the Commonwealth obligates them to.

Thus we see declines in education and roadway funding (but not in the overly subsidized public transportation funds) and massive increases in entitlement spending because that is where politicians go farming for votes.
World Class Ha Ha

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Feb 27, 2013
Why is it the thick levels of administrators pay themsleves the most money but the people who work harder and do more meaningful work get paid the least?

Cut the fat supes and stop lining your pockets with education money!
Kevin

Alexandria, VA

#8 Mar 4, 2013
Caught in the Vise wrote:
You are nothing but a greedy liar trying to trick people into your big annual pay raise.

We all know you are used to 8 to 12% pay raises every year but times are tough.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rockingham County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
City Meth Dealer Gets 15 Years Oct 9 melmel 1
Search for missing Crimora woman continues (Sep '08) Aug '14 Heatherstamper 46
#1 - NEW: Arrest Made In Clover Hill Murder (Apr '14) Apr '14 LOOKING 4 1
UVA Medical Center Earns Clean Bill of Health a... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Carol 3
Albemarle Student Wins Top Honors in Regional A... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Kaitlyn Zimmerman 1
Virginia's volcanic past: Mole Hill and Trimble... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
13-Year-Olds Accused In Gang Case (Sep '07) Aug '12 EchoesOfThunder 18

Rockingham County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE