Raleigh Co. schools moving from textb...

Raleigh Co. schools moving from textbooks to iPads

There are 161 comments on the Charleston Daily Mail story from Aug 6, 2013, titled Raleigh Co. schools moving from textbooks to iPads. In it, Charleston Daily Mail reports that:

BECKLEY, W.Va. -- All public school students in Raleigh County will use iPads in the classroom when the new academic year begins.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Charleston Daily Mail.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
NOOOOOO

Beckley, WV

#1 Aug 7, 2013
This is beyond wrong and incredibly offensive that Raleigh county would allow its children to act as little more than walking in house billboard advertising and invasive marketing by a corporation built around using style over substance to justify overcharging and milking customers.
Even worse it is disgusting that the parents of these students have not stood up and defended themselves and their children from unwanted corporatization.
This is NOT about improving education. This is NOT about modernizing local schools. There is only one thing this is about. Apple having reached mass saturation that they are hitting diminishing returns and reduced profit margins as people dumb enough to buy apple products are already buying them and those smart enough to resist know better. Apple has to do this because they know there is nothing else they are going to be able to do to "create" new customers. They cannot dupe anyone else into overpaying for their products, so the only alternative to them is to indoctrinate future generations now.
Every single parent in Raleigh county using public schools or not, as well as anyone who has to buy anything need to band together and send this garbage back to where it came from because if you are going to try to do this and add such technology into classrooms, the schools, the parents, the BoE, community leaders and local officials all need to make responsible decisions, take logical actions and use technology that is appropriately priced, Not hidden behind neutered proprietary systems, not demanding questionably legal anti consumer policy compliance, and train students on an operating system that they will likely use in the future in a vocational context instead of allowing them to be indoctrinated onto an OS that is 3rd place out of 3 in global saturation.
They WILL do this with or without your consent. You WILL be expected to foot the bill for replacement and repairs. You WILL be demanded to comply with signing your rights away to maintain up to date software. The only way you will not is if the people actually stand up, take part in their community and government and forcibly remove this unlawful corporate invasion.
Eyeofvee

Beckley, WV

#2 Aug 7, 2013
This brings up a good point. Of all the things the kids will learn on these tablets, perhaps all the good this program is trying to do is easily defeated by teaching kids the values of paying 600$ for a piece of technology that really can only merit a 150$ price tag.

“Aliens: "No Intelligent Life"”

Since: Jul 13

BKW

#3 Aug 7, 2013
NOOOOOO wrote:
This is beyond wrong and incredibly offensive that Raleigh county would allow its children to act as little more than walking in house billboard advertising and invasive marketing by a corporation built around using style over substance to justify overcharging and milking customers.
Even worse it is disgusting that the parents of these students have not stood up and defended themselves and their children from unwanted corporatization.
This is NOT about improving education. This is NOT about modernizing local schools. There is only one thing this is about. Apple having reached mass saturation that they are hitting diminishing returns and reduced profit margins as people dumb enough to buy apple products are already buying them and those smart enough to resist know better. Apple has to do this because they know there is nothing else they are going to be able to do to "create" new customers. They cannot dupe anyone else into overpaying for their products, so the only alternative to them is to indoctrinate future generations now.
Every single parent in Raleigh county using public schools or not, as well as anyone who has to buy anything need to band together and send this garbage back to where it came from because if you are going to try to do this and add such technology into classrooms, the schools, the parents, the BoE, community leaders and local officials all need to make responsible decisions, take logical actions and use technology that is appropriately priced, Not hidden behind neutered proprietary systems, not demanding questionably legal anti consumer policy compliance, and train students on an operating system that they will likely use in the future in a vocational context instead of allowing them to be indoctrinated onto an OS that is 3rd place out of 3 in global saturation.
They WILL do this with or without your consent. You WILL be expected to foot the bill for replacement and repairs. You WILL be demanded to comply with signing your rights away to maintain up to date software. The only way you will not is if the people actually stand up, take part in their community and government and forcibly remove this unlawful corporate invasion.
Yeah - I saw where they had Polaroid tablets at Big Lots for $69. The county should have bought a bunch of those because they are just as good as those dumb old iPads, huh?
Me

United States

#4 Aug 7, 2013
NOOOOOO wrote:
This is beyond wrong and incredibly offensive that Raleigh county would allow its children to act as little more than walking in house billboard advertising and invasive marketing by a corporation built around using style over substance to justify overcharging and milking customers.
Even worse it is disgusting that the parents of these students have not stood up and defended themselves and their children from unwanted corporatization.
This is NOT about improving education. This is NOT about modernizing local schools. There is only one thing this is about. Apple having reached mass saturation that they are hitting diminishing returns and reduced profit margins as people dumb enough to buy apple products are already buying them and those smart enough to resist know better. Apple has to do this because they know there is nothing else they are going to be able to do to "create" new customers. They cannot dupe anyone else into overpaying for their products, so the only alternative to them is to indoctrinate future generations now.
Every single parent in Raleigh county using public schools or not, as well as anyone who has to buy anything need to band together and send this garbage back to where it came from because if you are going to try to do this and add such technology into classrooms, the schools, the parents, the BoE, community leaders and local officials all need to make responsible decisions, take logical actions and use technology that is appropriately priced, Not hidden behind neutered proprietary systems, not demanding questionably legal anti consumer policy compliance, and train students on an operating system that they will likely use in the future in a vocational context instead of allowing them to be indoctrinated onto an OS that is 3rd place out of 3 in global saturation.
They WILL do this with or without your consent. You WILL be expected to foot the bill for replacement and repairs. You WILL be demanded to comply with signing your rights away to maintain up to date software. The only way you will not is if the people actually stand up, take part in their community and government and forcibly remove this unlawful corporate invasion.
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
NOOOOOO

Beckley, WV

#5 Aug 7, 2013
Me wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
How wonderfully lovely of you to make a point by quoting a film about a spoiled rich man child in arrested development that has no greater aspiration in life than to leach off of his father, cavort party, and be as obnoxious as humanly possible. Who has had everything in his life handed to him including his education and the whole premise of the film is watching a moronic actor portraying a self important oblivious moron struggling to legitimately earn his education for no other reason than to ensure his father does not cut him off by handing the source of family wealth to someone competent, thereby ensuring the gravy train keeps rolling.

Thank you for illustrating one of the points I made.

to "A Mountaineer" first off, it was apple who are donating these tablets to the schools. It was not the school system buying them. However when these students lose, damage or have stolen these "donations" it is the parents who are financially responsible for replacing them at MSRP. That might be fine for a financially affluent area, but it is pure insanity for an economically depressed region of an economically depressed state where large portions of the students attending public schools in this county come from families who cannot even afford to pay for their childrens school lunch, much less the cost of having to drop 600+ dollars on a tablet that possesses the system specs the same as devices costing less than 200$.

I did not say that the schools should purposely try to be cheap. I do not have problem with the schools trying to modernize and move to a tablet system. However apple IS known for grossly over inflating their prices and managing to do so with "idol worship" and style over substance marketing. So teaching kids that even though you cant afford food to eat, it is totally logical to spend what money you have on some hyped up trinket that has planned obsolescence of an entire six months. Its no worry, the Gubmint will pay for the food.

Apple represents the third place operating system. If we are going to be raising children on a specific operating system does it not make sense to side with the one that is most used in corporate/productivity areas such as Windows? Or the one that is the most used globally such as Linux? Why would we want to indoctrinate them on a niche operating system? Better yet, why would we want to teach them on an operating system that essentially denies them the capacity to even the most basic of computer functionality?

That is the very definition of "insanely idiotic"
randalld

Beckley, WV

#6 Aug 7, 2013
just a door for some perverted teachers to send dirty emails, and dont tell me they cant.i as a parent should have 100% control of this lazy teachers idea or my daughter isnt taking one.anybody makes a play on her and i will take the boots to them, for sure
CompUtron 5000

Beckley, WV

#7 Aug 7, 2013
Lets not try to compare apples and oranges here (NPI) pointing to a polaroid from biglots. First lets look at apples hardware.

Ipad 4 -678$
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Retina-Display-MD...
1.4 GHz dual-core
1gb DDR2 sys ram
300 mhz Power VR GPU
32GB

The polaroid?
Polaroid 70
1.0ghz single core
4gb internal storage
512mb system ram DDR3

Polaroid 100 (sadly, even this is functionally superior if you add a 32gb SD card)
1.6ghz Dual core
1gb DDR3
4gb internal storage

http://www.biglots.com/search...

Sad thing is the second polaroid has a superior processor speed, superior system RAM (DDR2 vs DDR3) with its only technical failing a smaller internal storage that can be compensated for with a 15$ 32gb SD card.

So lets compare actually comparable things.

HQ name brand
Asus Transformer 300
http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-TF300-T-B1-...

NVIDIA Tegra 3 Quad-Core Processor - 1.2hgz
32GB SSD,
1 GB DIMM - DDR3
Superior processor (DC<QC essentially 2x the power)
Same Int store
Superior sys ram (DDR2 < DDR3)

Off brand?
Dragon Touch 200$
http://www.amazon.com/Rockchips-Multi-Touch-P...

1.6 GHz RK3066 Dual-Core (superior processor 0.2ghz)
1GB RAM DDR3 (DDR2 < DDR3)
512 mhz quadcore gpu

Or how about we just blow the comparisons completely out of the water

JXD 7800B - Aug/sept release - 170$
http://www.willgoo.com/jxd-s7800b-game-pad-qu...

1.8 Quadcore Cortex A9 CPU
2 GB - DDR3
8GB internal store + SD slot up to 32gb (64gb theoretically possible)
ARM Mali400 series GPU - Quad core GPU operating at 512mhz per core totaling up to an effective 2gb GPU)
Physical built in tactile response controls plus 5 point capacitive touch screen control.

So cut to the quick. 680$ for a guaranteed slower system RAM against any android comparable alternative. Consistently slower processor and GPU speeds. Or look at what is releasing next month that is functionally on par with many middleware desktops in mobile format. Vastly superior processor speed, faster system ram, functionally GPU 4 times faster, or an over hyped inferior product that teaches children bad economic fundamentals for literally 3.8 times the price.
NOOOOOO

Beckley, WV

#8 Aug 7, 2013
randalld wrote:
just a door for some perverted teachers to send dirty emails, and dont tell me they cant.i as a parent should have 100% control of this lazy teachers idea or my daughter isnt taking one.anybody makes a play on her and i will take the boots to them, for sure
Just so you know. If your daughter goes to school in Raleigh county, you do not have a choice. It is required. So even if some teacher DOES in fact do what you said. They will of course punish the teacher in question but You cannot simply return it. Your child will still be required to have it or you will be required to put your child into a school elsewhere.
its all about mony

Beckley, WV

#9 Aug 8, 2013
do you people not see it, Apple is for profit, not helping.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#10 Aug 8, 2013
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/kids-sm...

BABYSITTING.....Already "experts" are coming out against this one...Kids need hands on activities which will enable them to MOVE AROUND, touch things, and figure them out for themselves.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Raleigh-Co...

This coming TOTAL reliance on "technology" will in the long run turn this nation into a bunch of people who won't be able to scratch their nose without instructions from a website on how to do it..

I KNOW it's already affected us older people... We don't have to figure anything out for ourselves anymore, nor do we even have to learn to spell anything, we can all just Bing or Google it.

Makes people LAZY and too dependent on the technology.

Young folks don't HAVE to learn, it's all right in their hands..

What happens when/if this technological nirvana we have fails in ANY area...Will there be folks around who can function without it?

Who is going to "read" ancient manuscripts found, or who is even going to be able to read cursive writings (we've discussed this before, remember the Z trial) of our own ancestors, unless they have a "program" to do it?

I see many more pitfalls than advantages....Kind of stupid, to totally ignore self reliance and individualism in any endeavor.

Just saying.

P.S. I agree, most of this is MONEY driven..Everything is NOW.

“Aliens: "No Intelligent Life"”

Since: Jul 13

BKW

#11 Aug 8, 2013
NOOOOOO wrote:
<quoted text>
to "A Mountaineer" first off, it was apple who are donating these tablets to the schools. It was not the school system buying them. However when these students lose, damage or have stolen these "donations" it is the parents who are financially responsible for replacing them at MSRP. That might be fine for a financially affluent area, but it is pure insanity for an economically depressed region of an economically depressed state where large portions of the students attending public schools in this county come from families who cannot even afford to pay for their childrens school lunch, much less the cost of having to drop 600+ dollars on a tablet that possesses the system specs the same as devices costing less than 200$.
You obviously have some strong opinions on this issue. I have no idea what other options were offered or proposed to Raleigh County Schools, but I'm sure the Board weighed each carefully and chose the one they felt was best for the school system. Does the plan have flaws? Sure, but the iPad is still a solid product with a solid OS, a shallow learning curve and a plethora of apps available. I have no dog in this fight - all my kids are grown and graduated.

Under the current U.S. teaching/learning model, I see the primary push for tablets in the classroom to be the the replacement of traditional printed textbooks. Much of the potential interactivity is secondary at this point, so the much less expensive Kindle would have been an acceptable option in that regard. But as teaching methods evolve, I'm sure that higher functionality of the platform will be embraced by both instructors and students.

Apple is a wildly successful and profitable company. I don't spite them for that. The price point may be higher, but the company has consistently turned out high-quality products and provided top-notch customer support.(I have a friend that works tech support for Apple - customer satisfaction is serious business for them.)

All the operating systems you mentioned have pluses. Ubuntu is only just making inroads into the phone and tablet market with a pure Linux OS, so that option is a non sequitur at this point, but Android is built on the Linux kernel with many successful device options available. I know some diehard Linux converts, but device driver availability is still an issue. Heck, I might convert myself if it had iTunes support. The biggest thing Linux has going for it at this point is open source development - certainly something to consider if steering students toward computer related fields. But when it comes to ease of use and availability, most folks just want to be able to buy a product off the shelf, sit down and be able to use it. In America, Linux is better suited for the more astute tinkerer right now.

I was admin on a Unix system for years. It was a reliable workhorse. But except for mainframes and dedicated servers, the personal computing world has not gone in that direction. The Apple OS is a GUI Unix development and has also proven to be highly reliable. While the business world has leaned more toward Windows systems, in creative fields like graphic design and music, Mac is the go-to.

When it comes to the classroom, most probably won't care one way or the other what's "under the hood" as long as teachers can communicate their lessons effectively and students can load music into iTunes or look up info on the Internet. I'm sure there will be glitches with the plan that will have to be worked out during the school year. While it may have price and "status" issues, the iPad is a solid, reliable, high-functioning product. I've played with the Galaxy and Kindle Fire - not as impressive as the iPad interface and function.

(BTW, I'm a PC, diehard XP, but love Apple mobile devices.)

“Aliens: "No Intelligent Life"”

Since: Jul 13

BKW

#12 Aug 8, 2013
randalld wrote:
just a door for some perverted teachers to send dirty emails, and dont tell me they cant.i as a parent should have 100% control of this lazy teachers idea or my daughter isnt taking one.anybody makes a play on her and i will take the boots to them, for sure
Parents have the choice to opt out on allowing students to bring the iPads home, but they will still be required to use them in the classroom. But if texts and homework assignments are loaded on the device, students not allowed use them at their homes will probably be harmed academically in the long run. I'm just curious whether the adoption of iPads by the county will drive more parents to attempt home schooling?

“Aliens: "No Intelligent Life"”

Since: Jul 13

BKW

#13 Aug 8, 2013
randalld

Beckley, WV

#14 Aug 8, 2013
NOOOOOO wrote:
<quoted text>
Just so you know. If your daughter goes to school in Raleigh county, you do not have a choice. It is required. So even if some teacher DOES in fact do what you said. They will of course punish the teacher in question but You cannot simply return it. Your child will still be required to have it or you will be required to put your child into a school elsewhere.
parents can change things if they complain together, so no I don't have to do anything. you might just go along with it not me.and the school and the cops doesn't take care of nothing.
dead 8

Beckley, WV

#15 Aug 8, 2013
randalld wrote:
<quoted text>parents can change things if they complain together, so no I don't have to do anything. you might just go along with it not me.and the school and the cops doesn't take care of nothing.
I would like my child to master reading and writing before we dive into computers does that sound crazy

“Aliens: "No Intelligent Life"”

Since: Jul 13

BKW

#16 Aug 8, 2013
dead 8 wrote:
<quoted text>I would like my child to master reading and writing before we dive into computers does that sound crazy
It sounds like those are not mutually exclusive.
randalld

Beckley, WV

#17 Aug 8, 2013
dead 8 wrote:
<quoted text> I would like my child to master reading and writing before we dive into computers does that sound crazy
but i do want my kids to read and write.most can only print their names
randalld

Beckley, WV

#18 Aug 8, 2013
besides kids can run these things way better than the teachers can. parents better keep an eye on these pads cause they can be huge problem and speak out if u think its a problem, dont wait for a lazy teacher or a donut chomping cop to help u

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#19 Aug 8, 2013
A Mountaineer wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds like those are not mutually exclusive.
SOME school systems in this nation have elected to NOT teach cursive writing at all...What sense does that make?

“Aliens: "No Intelligent Life"”

Since: Jul 13

BKW

#20 Aug 8, 2013
Shootist wrote:
<quoted text>SOME school systems in this nation have elected to NOT teach cursive writing at all...What sense does that make?
How many Egyptians are currently fluent in hieroglyphics? 8~)
Methods of communication change over time. It's to be expected. If you go back and read the "cursive" in use at the time of our nation's founding, some of that is tough to decipher if you grew up learning looping, modern American cursive. To me, penmanship is less important than the content of the message, regardless of how it's communicated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Raleigh County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former trooper serving as new litter control of... Mar '16 Reg 2
Gangs in Raleigh County Mar '16 kkk 2
News Business or Betrayal Part 3: What Will WVU Tech... Feb '16 Junkie Detector 1
News Judge Louise Staton files for re-election in fa... (Feb '08) Jan '16 Lovin it 12
News Police pursuit ends in Raleigh Co. (Oct '15) Oct '15 Lester C 1
News Drug roundup in Raleigh Co. nets 28 arrests (Dec '14) Aug '15 bigboy 8
News Information charges former tax deputy with embe... (Oct '09) Aug '15 Faith 18
More from around the web