Alpha Natural Resources to Idle Two S...

Alpha Natural Resources to Idle Two Surface Mines in West Virginia

There are 52 comments on the www.wvnstv.com story from May 11, 2012, titled Alpha Natural Resources to Idle Two Surface Mines in West Virginia. In it, www.wvnstv.com reports that:

. Nida attributes the market conditions to the weak national economy and extremely low natural gas prices.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.wvnstv.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Mama Joyce

Beckley, WV

#1 May 11, 2012
This Headline should read Massey Natural Resouces....not Alpha!!!
nemesis

Charleston, WV

#2 May 13, 2012
Ditto, you're still dealing with the same crew, everything is approved by Don Boy.
aww

Bluefield, WV

#3 May 13, 2012
Where is Bee Tree Mine?
Spawn

Charleston, WV

#4 May 13, 2012
Bee tree is at marfork

Bug Ridge

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#5 May 13, 2012
Great environmental news!
nemesis

Charleston, WV

#6 May 14, 2012
People have been warned that the decline of coal was coming, but nobody listened.

Bug Ridge

Location hidden

#7 May 14, 2012
nemesis wrote:
People have been warned that the decline of coal was coming, but nobody listened.
AMEN again & again! Coal long ceased as King; maybe Court Jestor?
aww

Bluefield, WV

#8 May 14, 2012
Yep, and this had nothing to do with the EPA like everyone here likes to blame. Lack of demand, is the real killer of WV Coal. Time we move on.

“Don't Start Rumors!”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#9 May 14, 2012
Only gonna get worse for all these "coal is all i know" people as long as natural gas keeps doing what its doing. As they say with mining...its always feast or famine. Glad i ain't in that situation.

Hmmm, all i've heard from pro-coal is how without them all of us are affected. Well as these layoffs and mine closures happen, i am enjoying an extremely lucrative year with no end in sight, my computer is still on, lights work, lovin it.
Just Me

Beckley, WV

#10 May 14, 2012
I truly do not understand why anyone is glad to see people lose their job. That's just so weird. It's like you're full of hatred. I'm so sorry for the miserable existance you must be living in. I saw my brother lose his business a few years ago when the housing market crashed and he lost everything he had worked so hard for. I can't imagine what type of demented person would get some sort of sick enjoyment out of that. Very odd. I will say a prayer for your troubled soul.

And if you think other people and businesses will not be affected by the coal industry decline, just take a drive through McDowell County sometime. It was a happening place back in the day of the big coal boom. However, now it is practically a ghosttown and has been for as long as I can remember. You can not tell me that the non-coalmining businesses (gas stations, stores, etc) were not affected when mining died down. Do you not realize how much money mining families spent in these stores? The same will happen in Raleigh County. Maybe not to the same extent, but it will be felt by many, many businesses, especially these family-owned businesses.

I would think that anyone with any sense would want to keep the industry that their area thrives on in business. But I suppose ignorance really is bliss.

Bug Ridge

Location hidden

#11 May 14, 2012
MUDD & many others have posted the warnings of coal decline for long time -- you were told the wolf was coming and no one would listen. So adapt, improvise or wither & die.
Just Me

Beckley, WV

#12 May 14, 2012
Bug Ridge wrote:
MUDD & many others have posted the warnings of coal decline for long time -- you were told the wolf was coming and no one would listen. So adapt, improvise or wither & die.
But does that still justify people seeming to get enjoyment out of others suffering? Everyone knew the housing market would eventually crash too, but that didn't make it any easier watching my brother lose everything he had worked so hard for. Someday the same may happen to you, Dr. Mudd and the others who are rejoycing right now and I have a feeling they won't find it so funny.

“Don't Start Rumors!”

Location hidden

#13 May 14, 2012
Just Me wrote:
I truly do not understand why anyone is glad to see people lose their job. That's just so weird. It's like you're full of hatred. I'm so sorry for the miserable existance you must be living in. I saw my brother lose his business a few years ago when the housing market crashed and he lost everything he had worked so hard for. I can't imagine what type of demented person would get some sort of sick enjoyment out of that. Very odd. I will say a prayer for your troubled soul.
And if you think other people and businesses will not be affected by the coal industry decline, just take a drive through McDowell County sometime. It was a happening place back in the day of the big coal boom. However, now it is practically a ghosttown and has been for as long as I can remember. You can not tell me that the non-coalmining businesses (gas stations, stores, etc) were not affected when mining died down. Do you not realize how much money mining families spent in these stores? The same will happen in Raleigh County. Maybe not to the same extent, but it will be felt by many, many businesses, especially these family-owned businesses.
I would think that anyone with any sense would want to keep the industry that their area thrives on in business. But I suppose ignorance really is bliss.
Pro-coal people and their attitude of demanding respect for so-called being the maker of all things possible, is the reason they don't get that respect they think they deserve. They brought my attitude towards them on all by themselves. Topix has been their stomping grounds for that attitude every since i first started posting here in 2009 when i first started giving them their warnings of coals inevitable demise as our nation progresses with technology in other ways, to meet our energy demands.

“Don't Start Rumors!”

Location hidden

#14 May 14, 2012
YUP, McDowell county is a prime example of what happens with coal, especially with surface mining. They come in blow up the mountains, pollute the streams, rearrange the topography to something other than what it once was, ruin our water supplies, and then up and leave nothing behind. And they do it with just a handful of men and all kinds of machines. I think our deep mines are important to some degree, but i couldn't give a ratts azz if every single surface mine or MTR sight was never allowed to operate again.

“Don't Start Rumors!”

Location hidden

#15 May 14, 2012
Just Me wrote:
<quoted text>
But does that still justify people seeming to get enjoyment out of others suffering? Everyone knew the housing market would eventually crash too, but that didn't make it any easier watching my brother lose everything he had worked so hard for. Someday the same may happen to you, Dr. Mudd and the others who are rejoycing right now and I have a feeling they won't find it so funny.
Its happened to me before but luckily i'm not one of those men who are limited in other ways to make a living like the "coal is all i know" people.

Bug Ridge

Location hidden

#16 May 14, 2012
Excellent stuff, & now a lil whipped cream on top!

Mike Quillen ALPHA CEO Mr. King Coal himself retiring --- took our advice? Rats leavin the sinking ship? Smart fellow, got his pot of gold & " RUNNING RIGHT WAY " yep Running Right Outta Town -- leave all his dedicated followers behind for the buzzards to pick at.

“Don't Start Rumors!”

Location hidden

#17 May 14, 2012
LOL!!!!!

“Don't Start Rumors!”

Location hidden

#18 May 14, 2012
whipped cream on top......thats funny right there
has anyone heard

Charleston, WV

#19 May 14, 2012
That ALPHA'S REVOLUTION MINE IN BOONE COUNTY layoff today. It's a longwall mines.
Just Me

Beckley, WV

#20 May 14, 2012
DrMUDD wrote:
<quoted text>Pro-coal people and their attitude of demanding respect for so-called being the maker of all things possible, is the reason they don't get that respect they think they deserve. They brought my attitude towards them on all by themselves. Topix has been their stomping grounds for that attitude every since i first started posting here in 2009 when i first started giving them their warnings of coals inevitable demise as our nation progresses with technology in other ways, to meet our energy demands.
Don't you think you are lumping all coal miners together? My husband (a coal miner) and my dad (a retired miner) are two of the most humble people you will ever meet. I do agree that some people on here are extreme with their views of coal mining being the best thing ever. But not everyone is like that. If my husband could find a cleaner, easier job making the same amount of money he makes now, I'm sure he would welcome the opportunity. But the fact remains that coal mining is southern West Virginias top paying industry for non-college educated people.

My husband decided to go in the mines because we were both working "good" full-time jobs and still barely making ends meet. No way could we have afforded to own a nice home, send our sons to college, etc with the jobs we had. That is why he chose to go into the mines, not for the so-called glory of it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Raleigh County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fairdale man sentenced in fatal shooting Aug 22 James Neely 2
The ALL powerful Oak Hill Garbage Man Aug 8 Exploited 1
News Former trooper serving as new litter control of... Mar '16 Reg 2
Gangs in Raleigh County Mar '16 Concerned Parent 1
News Business or Betrayal Part 3: What Will WVU Tech... Feb '16 Junkie Detector 1
News Judge Louise Staton files for re-election in fa... (Feb '08) Jan '16 Lovin it 12
News Police pursuit ends in Raleigh Co. (Oct '15) Oct '15 Lester C 1
More from around the web