Putnam County Sheriff Election
Love it

Wynne, AR

#61 Feb 5, 2012
Mr Know it all wrote:
<quoted text>
He does not and has never held a law enforcement certification through FDLE in Fl... I can't offer a statement as to if he has been certified in another state.
This helps. Thank you.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#62 Feb 7, 2012
Palatka Cor_ruptured wrote:
<quoted text>
He studied criminal justice, but he doesn't have his degree. He helped on calls but as you said... was NEVER a full time officer and didn't even study as a full time officer. He's living off his parents money and spending it on this campaign... why would I want to make Larry Masters the HEAD LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER when he can't even read the rules of the election that reference putting up signs? You aren't supposed to put up signs until 50 days prior to the election, which means he wouldn't be able to do so until September since he is not affiliated with any party. The sign rule is the LAW, and if he can't follow a simple law... why would I want him as my sheriff?
Masters majored at MCC in New York, working as a security guard to pay tuition, books, etc. He completed his first year getting high grades, but was unable to complete the second. His family, who are NOT wealthy and were actually quite poor, suffered financially when his dad lost his job. They had to sell their home in Rochester and move to a cottage on the outskirts. Masters moved back in and went to work full-time to help. A few years later he was able to get a bank loan and start his own business, and he has earned the money he spends on his campaign.
As for the political signs, Masters was making a point - which I thought was brilliant. The State's election laws allow political signs to be placed as soon as the candidate qualifies as active. It's the Putnam County Ordinance, not the LAW, that says 50 days, which favors the incumbent, and is not only usurping state law but stepping on our 1st amendment right of Freedom of Speech. Kind of like a few months ago when the State forced the County's ordinance on guns to be repealed, which was stepping on our 4th amendment rights. I applaud Masters for doing so, as what would you rather have - a sheriff who'll respect your rights and obey state and constitutional law, or one who'll be run by the 'Good ol' Boys' and their ordinances trying to restrict your rights and knowledge?

Location hidden

#63 Feb 7, 2012
Need to correct my mistake from post #42 - Masters is a PSA at PCSO and Police Chaplain at Palatka PD (not PCSO).

Location hidden

#64 Feb 7, 2012
local voter wrote:
Palatka Corruption--you remind us alot of Masters achievments,cannot find his name on any graduation list for the Academy, or that he has a degree in crim just. or anything else. Not sure about the great business either. If you are going to post qualifications, how about some back up. You sound like a supporter who wants something in return!
Lack of degrees is explained above. As for the Police Academy he attended at St. Johns River Community College in St. Augustine, he did not complete it due to medical conditions. Masters said he will be happy to show anyone a letter from his doctor, along with the school's transcript showing he received top marks in his class for the law exams and one of the highest on the high-liability section. Two scouts attempted to recruit him for employment during his classes, but then he fell ill.
As for wanting something in return, I damn sure do. An honest, ethical Sheriff's Dept. that the citizens don't have to fear. No more 'Good ol' Boys'

Location hidden

#65 Feb 7, 2012
Mr Know it all wrote:
<quoted text>
He does not and has never held a law enforcement certification through FDLE in Fl... I can't offer a statement as to if he has been certified in another state.
Masters has not been certified, but that's not necessary to be Sheriff. No Kidding. It's an adminstrative position, and they waive their rights to make arrests without a certificate. IMO he's still the most honest and ethical man, with the business sense, to run that dept.

Location hidden

#66 Feb 7, 2012
PS to Palatka Cor_ruptured - Cute take on my name. Too bad your 'facts' aren't.
Love it

Dallas, GA

#67 Feb 8, 2012
The Palatka Corruption wrote:
<quoted text>
Masters majored at MCC in New York, working as a security guard to pay tuition, books, etc. He completed his first year getting high grades, but was unable to complete the second. His family, who are NOT wealthy and were actually quite poor, suffered financially when his dad lost his job. They had to sell their home in Rochester and move to a cottage on the outskirts. Masters moved back in and went to work full-time to help. A few years later he was able to get a bank loan and start his own business, and he has earned the money he spends on his campaign.
As for the political signs, Masters was making a point - which I thought was brilliant. The State's election laws allow political signs to be placed as soon as the candidate qualifies as active. It's the Putnam County Ordinance, not the LAW, that says 50 days, which favors the incumbent, and is not only usurping state law but stepping on our 1st amendment right of Freedom of Speech. Kind of like a few months ago when the State forced the County's ordinance on guns to be repealed, which was stepping on our 4th amendment rights. I applaud Masters for doing so, as what would you rather have - a sheriff who'll respect your rights and obey state and constitutional law, or one who'll be run by the 'Good ol' Boys' and their ordinances trying to restrict your rights and knowledge?
I appreciate your insight. I'm finding that you have a TON of intricate inside information on this particular candidate. Your level of knowledge may be exposing your identity. LOL

That doesn't bother me tho. I think its humerous! See ya Saturday in Hollister!
lol good one

Jacksonville, FL

#68 Feb 8, 2012
Love it wrote:
<quoted text>
I appreciate your insight. I'm finding that you have a TON of intricate inside information on this particular candidate. Your level of knowledge may be exposing your identity. LOL
That doesn't bother me tho. I think its humerous! See ya Saturday in Hollister!
Looks like you have allowed your personal feelings to start showing in your posts. No hard feelings on my part, it is just confusing as I was under the impression we were actually friends or at the least close acquaintances! I have received a few negative posts from you in the past 6-8 months (???)

I won’t call you out, I believe 95% of your information is “spot on”… the other 5% is just a little bit of “spinning” the info you have to better your choice for sheriff. Anyway, I wish you well and when we run into each other again (we will still be friends)

I also have done a lot of research on Masters, He is a great man and I could not find anything negative on him; however, his only down fall is: A good private sector business man does not make a good public sector Sheriff.
lol

Jacksonville, FL

#69 Feb 8, 2012
lol good one wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like you have allowed your personal feelings to start showing in your posts. No hard feelings on my part, it is just confusing as I was under the impression we were actually friends or at the least close acquaintances! I have received a few negative posts from you in the past 6-8 months (???)
I won’t call you out, I believe 95% of your information is “spot on”… the other 5% is just a little bit of “spinning” the info you have to better your choice for sheriff. Anyway, I wish you well and when we run into each other again (we will still be friends)
I also have done a lot of research on Masters, He is a great man and I could not find anything negative on him; however, his only down fall is: A good private sector business man does not make a good public sector Sheriff.
Oops, sorry guys... this was for Mr. Corruption.(TPC)

Location hidden

#70 Feb 8, 2012
<quoted text>
I made a huge typo in this post - Our gun rights are protected by the 2nd amendent to the Constitution, not the 4th I mistakenly typed above. The 4th prohibits unreasonable search and seizures.

Location hidden

#71 Feb 8, 2012
Let me explain how I came to support Masters. Putnam County is a mess, over-run with corruption and the 'Good ol' Boys'. Anyone who denies it is a dope or one of them. I decided that this election year I would be proactive and, after doing my usual research, would pick one candidate to publicly support that I thought would be good for our community. It could have been anybody from a City Commissioner to the School Superintendant - but I chose the Sheriff because that dept. has the biggest impact on citizens and our quality of life, the largest budget, and the most employees. I don't have intricate inside information, and traced down everything I could in public records. The blanks I asked the candidates to fill in. Every candidate had a fair and equal chance, as my only motive is to vote for the one that would better our life. It was Masters. I never knew him before I called asking my questions about his background and what his solutions for us were.
End of the story.

Location hidden

#72 Feb 8, 2012
Except for this; One of Masters rules for being on his election team is that members cannot bash the other candidates. I respect his principles - but that leaves me out.
Love it

United States

#73 Feb 8, 2012
Except for this; One of Masters rules for being on his election team is that members cannot bash the other candidates. I respect his principles - but that leaves me out.
I like that rule. I'm sure he's a wonderful gentleman.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I'm leary of his lack of police experience. I would appreciate seeing my sheriff throwing some dirt bag in chains because he has a warrant. Booking him in personally. That would make me proud.

Larry can't do that. He hasn't ever had to hold body parts in his hands.

Any sheriff can hire efficient administrators and oversee them. When it comes down to ensuring peoples windows aren't smashed out and their televisions are still on the wall, then we need a law enforcement mentality steering the ship.

Clearly just my conservative opinion.
Anonymous

Surrency, GA

#74 Feb 8, 2012
Nightrider wrote:
Vote Hardy.
Keep up the GREAT work.
sounds like to me you are trying to keep ur job
Palatka Cor_ruptured

Orange Park, FL

#75 Feb 9, 2012
Let me explain how I came to support Masters. Putnam County is a mess, over-run with corruption and the 'Good ol' Boys'. Anyone who denies it is a dope or one of them. I decided that this election year I would be proactive and, after doing my usual research, would pick one candidate to publicly support that I thought would be good for our community. It could have been anybody from a City Commissioner to the School Superintendant - but I chose the Sheriff because that dept. has the biggest impact on citizens and our quality of life, the largest budget, and the most employees. I don't have intricate inside information, and traced down everything I could in public records. The blanks I asked the candidates to fill in. Every candidate had a fair and equal chance, as my only motive is to vote for the one that would better our life. It was Masters. I never knew him before I called asking my questions about his background and what his solutions for us were.
End of the story.
Here is my thing: Law Enforcement is NOT a business. Being a PSA is not the same as responding to a domestic violence call or a shots fired call. His ideas seem "ground-breaking" and "trendy," but if you do your research, the things he is talking about doing have been tried and have failed. He could waive his arresting powers, yes, but lets say, hypothetically, Masters wins... I would feel extremely sorry for his Under Sheriff, because it would indeed be the Under Sheriff running the show. Masters would be running back and forth to him asking what he needs to do and how to handle law enforcement matters, because there aren't much stocks, bonds, trades, client-commerce, etc. You can not advertise a Sheriffs Office as a business, it's sole purpose is LAW ENFORCEMENT and Masters record doesn't support any law enforcement except for putting up orange highlighter cones around the scene of a wreck until the real police showed up. I can also tell you this: The deputies, who I believe have the most insightful opinions when it comes to Sheriff Candidates, do not want Masters as their boss. Just saying.
Love it

United States

#76 Feb 9, 2012
<quoted text>
Here is my thing: Law Enforcement is NOT a business. Being a PSA is not the same as responding to a domestic violence call or a shots fired call. His ideas seem "ground-breaking" and "trendy," but if you do your research, the things he is talking about doing have been tried and have failed. He could waive his arresting powers, yes, but lets say, hypothetically, Masters wins... I would feel extremely sorry for his Under Sheriff, because it would indeed be the Under Sheriff running the show. Masters would be running back and forth to him asking what he needs to do and how to handle law enforcement matters, because there aren't much stocks, bonds, trades, client-commerce, etc. You can not advertise a Sheriffs Office as a business, it's sole purpose is LAW ENFORCEMENT and Masters record doesn't support any law enforcement except for putting up orange highlighter cones around the scene of a wreck until the real police showed up. I can also tell you this: The deputies, who I believe have the most insightful opinions when it comes to Sheriff Candidates, do not want Masters as their boss. Just saying.
Good point.
REALLY

United States

#77 Feb 9, 2012
Love it wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point.
Good point. I hate to disappoint the conspiracy theorists and disgruntled fired employees on these threads, but the overwhelming majority of deputies want Hardy re-elected.

HARDY FOR SHERIFF!!!
SURE

Palatka, FL

#78 Feb 9, 2012
You mean adminstration wants Hardy re-elected. The deputies get food stamps.
Palatka Cor_ruptured

Orange Park, FL

#79 Feb 9, 2012
And they most definitely don't want Hardy re-elected... but they can't come out and say that publicly. Many of the deputies feel like when they go to work they are on a tight-rope because if they make one of the arrogant members of the command staff angry, they might not have a job that afternoon... and that is not how it should be.
stupidity

Gainesville, FL

#80 Feb 9, 2012
And they most definitely don't want Hardy re-elected... but they can't come out and say that publicly. Many of the deputies feel like when they go to work they are on a tight-rope because if they make one of the arrogant members of the command staff angry, they might not have a job that afternoon... and that is not how it should be.
yep yep you are correct. Hard going to work hoping not to piss off the upper ranking staff. Walking on egg shells better reference

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Putnam County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Improving Putnam County's schools a difficult i... (Aug '16) Apr 17 truth 14
News 42 Dead Or Incarcerated People Voted In Florida... Apr 17 truth 4
City Manager's Epic Fail (Oct '13) Apr 15 randy 17
Putnam County Commish Race (Jun '12) Mar '17 Peter Pan 71
what happened to Chris gay at the sheriffs office (Aug '15) Mar '17 homie 10
breada gallo arrested battery Mar '17 homie 3
Roxanne Weeks aka The Palatka Corruption (split... (Sep '13) Jan '17 Mad Mom 19
More from around the web