Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2012

Linda Myers, wife of City of Palatka Mayor Vernon Myers and co-owner of Dunkin' Donuts, has entered and qualified as a candidate for Putnam Co. Tax Collector. I thought Brad Purcell was a done deal, but it looks like he now has some competition. Will wait to see the City/County division lines go up!
We the People

Palatka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2012

Judged:

Myers is a liberal who loves to spend our tax dollars. Purcell will manage the offices in a fiscally responsible manner. No comparison!
Common Sense

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2012

Judged:

Mrs. Myers acts like see is better than everyone else. Mr. Purcell works hard and really cares about Putnam County. I hope he wins.
Chicken Little

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2012

I like Purcell - he cares about Putnam and will run the office efficiently. He is a smart man.
Putnamite

Palatka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2012

Judged:

I have some reservations about both of the Myers holding elective office in Putnam County. Nothing illegal about it, and I know the Palatka mayor is just a glorified commissioner, but I don't like the appearance. It isn't anything personal, because I don't know either of them personally.

That being said, I hope someone else jumps in the race, because none of the other candidates are that appealing, either.
Joe

Palatka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2012

Judged:

I know for a FACT that Purcell talks out of both sides of his mouth.
Ginger

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2012

Judged:

I know for a fact that Mr. Purcell is an honest, hard working man. He has done a great job and always helped me when called upon. He will be a great TC.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2012

Judged:

Putnamite wrote:
I have some reservations about both of the Myers holding elective office in Putnam County. Nothing illegal about it, and I know the Palatka mayor is just a glorified commissioner, but I don't like the appearance. It isn't anything personal, because I don't know either of them personally.
That being said, I hope someone else jumps in the race, because
none of the other candidates are that appealing, either.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. The number of people crossing City/County depts. in Putnam Co. who are related by blood/marriage or being lovers/buddies is staggering. It seems like everyone is somehow connected to each other. It is counter-productive to efficiency and unfair to citizens, some of whom may be better qualified for the position but don't know the 'right people'.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2012

And here's what I posted about their opposition, Julianne Holmes-Young, under the other topic "Who will you vote for as Putnam County Tax Collector", in case you missed it:

Not only does she lack experience, but when the Beck Auto Group was before the Palatka City Commission requesting the closure of 16th St. Holmes-Young engaged in what I see as highly questionable, and possibly unlawful, actions. Beck Auto Group first appeared before the City's Planning Board to ask for the closure due to the high cost of their insurance because the dealership was divided by a busy street. Her father, Don Holmes unlawfully sat on this board as City Attorney, failing to recuse himself when Beck Auto Group is his No. 1 client in terms of income. This board denied the request, so they then went before the City Comm. and this time Don Holmes had to recuse himself because he got called out on this conflict of interest. Jay Asbury sat in as City Attorney and Holmes-Young stood before the Comm. representing Beck, falsely claiming she was their Agent. Her father is Agent for Beck's dozens of companies, documented in state records. It's obvious she was the puppet, and they then had a new reason for the closure - claiming GMAC would yank their dealership status if their property wasn't at least 3+ acres contiguous. A nearby, interested business called GMAC's legal dept., who allegedly stated Beck did not fall under this requirement, was grandfathered in, that this was only for new dealerships, and that they had no knowledge of a document Holmes and Holmes-Young were now presenting to the City Comm. threatening Beck with removal of their status - so now there's a question of forgery. Also, her husband George Young is a prosecutor for the SA's Office, who tried a case KNOWING the PPD Officers lied in their report, depositions, and on the stand. He was, of course, defeated. As an Officer of the Court he has an obligation to report such activity, yet did nothing except cover-up for the dirty cops. As far as I'm concerned the whole family is sketchy, and right up top in the 'Good ol' Boys' club.
The Word

Palatka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2012

Judged:

Myers is a big liberal, big liberal, big liberal. Did I mention she is a big, big liberal. Something we can not afford in office.
Fred

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2012

Common Sense wrote:
Mrs. Myers acts like see is better than everyone else. Mr. Purcell works hard and really cares about Putnam County. I hope he wins.
I worked with Linda Myers and Brad Purcell for a while. Linda always conducted herself in a professional and ethical manner and was prudent in the expenditure of taxpayer funds. She worked to make Putnam County a better place for everyone. I cannot say the same about Brad Purcell.
Abbie

Palatka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

The Palatka Corruption wrote:
<quoted text>
I wholeheartedly agree with this. The number of people crossing City/County depts. in Putnam Co. who are related by blood/marriage or being lovers/buddies is staggering. It seems like everyone is somehow connected to each other. It is counter-productive to efficiency and unfair to citizens, some of whom may be better qualified for the position but don't know the 'right people'.
Apparently no one else is allow/willing to step into the arena --- because of the "Palatka-nepotism" situation.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Putnam County Forum right now

Search the Putnam County Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Busy School Board Elections - Who to Vote For? 28 min Robert Massey 81
Kruger Jul 27 LOL 6
Landfill Sale A SCAM Jul 25 Toomuchwrong 15
Elections Chief To Expose Children To Deviants Jul 21 Too Much 1
Petition calls on Putnam County Sheriff's Offic... Jul 14 Anne 1
Judge Christiansen Jul 11 dim 4
So what they say about the sherrifs office is t... Jul 11 Just Saying 4
•••
•••