Hopewell plans private-public partner...

Hopewell plans private-public partnership to finish Beacon Theatre renovation

There are 6 comments on the Progress-Index story from Mar 31, 2011, titled Hopewell plans private-public partnership to finish Beacon Theatre renovation. In it, Progress-Index reports that:

After seizing ownership of the historic Beacon Theatre, Hopewell city officials plan on seeking a private-public partnership in order to finish the long-delayed renovations of the venue and turn it into the region's premiere performing arts center.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Progress-Index.

GI Joe

Baltimore, MD

#1 Mar 31, 2011
Turn it into a nightclub. Karokee... Strip... Biker...

If you build it, they will come. Ha ha. No really, Hopewell is awesome.

Chester, VA

#2 Mar 31, 2011
if our local government has anything to do with this it will go into the crapper like everything else they touch
VN Vet

Hopewell, VA

#3 Mar 31, 2011
Thier track record sucks.

Hopewell, VA

#4 Mar 31, 2011
With the "high" moral standards most of our City Council and City Government have I bet in no time it will be a XXX Theater again like it was in the 70s. I know the Mayor will enjoy entertaining there. If they have food Pelham will be right behind her!

Hopewell, VA

#5 Apr 1, 2011
GI Joe wrote:
Turn it into a nightclub. Karokee... Strip... Biker...
If you build it, they will come. Ha ha. No really, Hopewell is awesome.
might not work because of the codes that do not allow strip joints (a la the
End Zone on Oaklawn) or tattoo parlors---- and there had been a biker bar across the street froom the Beacon (now defunct) which was replaced by LIvewires---- and there is a Karaoke bar/restaurant on 15th Ave (the Touch of Red)--Ah---but private club/restaurant/meeting venue---- for the GOBs---just might work---a place to convene and party and not mess up their own carpets while sloshing whisky out of the glasses and a place to privately discuss which way the city should move---and more plans for the downtown area of Hopewell and what to do with the new piece of waterfront property near the yacht club---and who should be the next police chief---I could go on---

Hopewell, VA

#6 Apr 1, 2011
Lacheney said that City Manager Ed Daley called for a meeting of city staff tomorrow to discuss the future of the Beacon. Daley did not want to comment at this point. But Lacheney said that a decision will be made soon. "There is no question that we will start looking for a private partner to develop this project," he said. "The city has no intention of running and operating this theater itself."

Yeah---like the private partners that now building at "The Bluffs" or the Patrick Copeland land parcel

and further into the Progress's article---aboout Theresa Jones contributions--- I would think that the special dispensations that her husband got on so many of his projects would more than pay for her "donation" with change left over.
He got his way with the project off of Jackson Farm Road--and a bonus for each house completed---when other areas charge contractors fees for each house built--- only in Hopewll !!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prince George County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plan to unite PG fire services (Feb '14) Mar '14 logic 3
News Ruff ranks high on gift-taking list (Feb '14) Feb '14 Warren 1
News Police seek to ID remains found in Prince George (Dec '13) Dec '13 Bob 1
News VIctor Starr (Jun '13) Jun '13 Samantha Starr 1
News PG gets new fire truck (Mar '13) Apr '13 SpongeBob911 44
News Prince George Parent Calls Discipline Policy Ab... (Feb '13) Feb '13 VN Vet 3
News Charlottesville Environmental Group Opposes I-9... (Dec '12) Dec '12 VN Vet 2
More from around the web