Race Relations: Officials in Va. county express 'regret' for Massive Resistance

Jul 9, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Daily Times

RICHMOND - Officials in Prince Edward County - once ground zero for Virginia's Massive Resistance against school integration - are expressing regret for the push that shuttered classrooms rather than let black ...

Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Mar 15, 2009
don

Crewe, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2008

I was at this meeting. I wonder who was the source of this information, since there was no reporter in the hearing room at the time this matter was discussed.

The discussion of the resolution was far more contentious than this news story suggests -- it was revealed that in the final text approved by the Light of Reconciliation committee, the Board of Supervisors was to "apologize" for the hurt caused by the school closings.

Supervisor Matty Wiley admitted, under questioning by Supervisors Lacy Ward and James Moore, that the wording was changed -- not by the committee, but by a small group of the supervisors that Ms Wiley contacted after the committee had completed its work. She claimed that she contacted several supervisors, but not all of them, due to lack of time. Both Mr. Ward and Mr. Moore protested the irregularity of her action.

Ms. Wiley stated that she could not bring herself to use the word "apologize," since she was not one of the members of the Board of Supervisors that closed the schools in 1959. Board Chairman Fore agreed, saying that he couldn't apologize for something he didn't do.

(Their protests ignored that fact that they are, in fact, the current members of the Board of Supervisors, and can't look to anyone else to apologize for the Board.)

Ms. Wiley threw up her hands and claimed she was willing to be "flexible" in finding an appropriate statement to replace the word "apologize" in the original resolution -- as if the Board was going to spend another hour of time (it was already past 10 PM, and this item was the 20th on the evening's agenda!) editing the text!

Besides Ward and Moore, the only supervisor who protested the editing-out of the word "apologize" was Sally Gilfillan, who had the decency to actually read the original, and replacement, text for the benefit of the audience, who had not been given copies of the texts. Gilfillan made some attempt to edit the text, but -- faced with the spluttering Ms. Wiley, the stated unwillingness of Mr. Fore to apologize, and the silence of Supervisors McKay and Jones -- gave in and agreed to the watered-down wording.

Not mentioned in this article is the fact that the Board punted on the decision of sponsoring an oral-history project (to be funded by an as-yet-unknown foundation) that would give all the people hurt by the school closings a chance to tell their stories and make them available in print and on the Web.

Mr. Fore stated that this was beyond the purview of the Board, and rightly belonged to the Moton Museum. The Board then voted to table discussion of the oral-history project until their August meeting -- so it will not be announced at the July 21 Light of Reconciliation ceremony when the Board's apology -- excuse me, their expression of "regret" -- will be read and the Light lit.

That ceremony will occur at 8pm on July 21, at the Prince Edward County courthouse.
Just-cURIOUS

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2008

Again you can not apologize for something you did not take part in. Regret yes, because it was a very abhorable thing to do. There were many kids left without an education.
Lady J

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2008

I was there, and if Don knew that Mrs Wiley was one of those that had been affected by the closing of the schools, maybe he would have understood. We should be less critical of others until we know the full story.
HICKS

Collinsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2009

MY MOTHER WAS AND OTHERS THAT ARE STILL ALIVE EVEN MYSELF WAS AFFECTED BY THE SCHOOL CLOSING HERE
FAMLIES TO THIS DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS COUNTY ARE STILL AFFECTED AND WILL ALWAYS BE UNTIL THE OPERATONS AND ATTITUDE OF THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS BLACK AND WHITE OWEN UP TO THERE RESPONCABILITY. FOR THE CITIZEN TODAY AND MAKE GOOD BY REAL REPAYMENT TO THOSE WHO WAS SHUT OUT YESTERDAY WHEN THE SCHOOL WHERE CLOSE FOR FIVE YEARS.!! TAX MONEY PAID BUT NO EDUCATION!! WHO GOT IT? DO GIVE US A FAKE DEPLOMA!! AND A LIGHT BULD..WITH WORDS ON SOME PAPER WE DESERVE MORE MUCH MORE.. JOBS REAL JOBS. EDUCATION FOR ALL OUR CHILDREN REAL EDUCATION. REPERSENTATION REAL REPERSENTATION. MONEY FOR THE LOST OF JOBS AND FAMLIES WHO HAD TO BRAKE UP AND LEAVE THE FARMS AND JOBS..YES WE DESERVE A (APOLOGY) AND UNTIL THEN THEIR IS NO RECONCILIATION
THANK YOU
MR.BEMECHE HICKS/RICE, VA.
GitHerDone

Kenbridge, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2009

It was not only the black students that were shut out, it was the poorer children that had to do the same. Some families could not afford to go to private school yet their parents were bullied into sending their children to the school.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Prince Edward County Discussions

Search the Prince Edward County Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Ontario Wine Wednesday: Small Talk Vineyards Jun '14 more 1
8News Investigates: 'Road To Nowhere' (Jul '13) May '14 Clark 3
Polar vortex claims another victim: Ontario grapes Feb '14 over on other hills 1
The Ontario government plays Santa to Ontario W... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Dean 1
Deadly Home Invasion in Prince Edward County (Feb '13) Feb '13 blaster 119
Prince Edward County shootings leaves two dead (Dec '12) Dec '12 Tammy Ingram 2
Talk about Prince Edward County (Nov '12) Nov '12 hardrock 1
•••
•••