New Concord, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2007

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am a physician in the U.S. Army, more specifically an internist. My wife and I fell in love with the Farmville, Prince Edward County region when we traveled through rhere in Nov of last year. I am in Afghanistan at the present and will very soon be retiring from the Army. Do you think that your community might benefit from another internist? Ya'll are so lucky to live in such a wonderful community.

With kindest regards,
Bill
LTC William Alton Smith,Jr MD, FACP
Robyn Allen

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2007

9-19-07
Dr. Smith,
Can we use another internists? No. But can we use another good internists that truly cares about patients and not the almighty dollar...absolutely!
I too fell in love with this area 24 years ago. I became ill with ulcers and met one of the greatest doctors that I have ever known in the emergency room at Southside Hospital. His name was Harold Nase and like you, he was an Army surgeon. Harold spoiled the entire community! I remember being new in town and asking him who I go see for flu, etc and his response was me. And for the next 14 years Harold was my doctor. He showed me respect, let me take an active role in my own health care and taught me that if you wait more than 15 minutes to see your doctor you have waited too long. He was not only your physician but your friend. He retired and decided to go climb Mt. Kilemonjaro. He died after coming down of the mountain. Since then the face of medicine in Farmville has changed dramatically. Individuals were no longer treated in this manner and Southside Hospital, although improved , has taken on a different personality. People like myself go to Richmond or Charlottesville but we are not happy driving the distance when we should be able to get the services we need. We still have good doctors like Anjannette Tan the endocrinologist and Dr. Gottfried but for anything more serious we go elsewhere. When you come back to look at the area look in Buckingham. We have the health center here but they triple book patients, we also have a doctor's office in Dillwyn tied to Martha Jefferson Hospital in Charlottesville but they cannot seem to keep a doctor. Our area has some of the most delightful elderly population and I am sure that you would love working with them. Come on down and take a good look. We can always use another great doctor!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Prince Edward County Discussions

Search the Prince Edward County Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Ontario Wine Wednesday: Small Talk Vineyards Jun '14 more 1
8News Investigates: 'Road To Nowhere' (Jul '13) May '14 Clark 3
Polar vortex claims another victim: Ontario grapes Feb '14 over on other hills 1
The Ontario government plays Santa to Ontario W... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Dean 1
Deadly Home Invasion in Prince Edward County (Feb '13) Feb '13 blaster 119
Prince Edward County shootings leaves two dead (Dec '12) Dec '12 Tammy Ingram 2
Talk about Prince Edward County (Nov '12) Nov '12 hardrock 1
•••
•••