Early Start To Winter is Costly for DOH

Early Start To Winter is Costly for DOH

There are 12 comments on the www.wboy.com story from Jan 9, 2009, titled Early Start To Winter is Costly for DOH. In it, www.wboy.com reports that:

This winter weather is causing the Division of Highways to spend a lot of money this year. The DOH says it has spent more money on Snow Removal and Ice Control, or SRIC, this year than last. It has spent 70 percent more in Doddridge and Harrison Counties, and more than $400,000 more in Preston County. It blames the long winter, along with rising road salt prices, for the increase. "When you have a long extended winter, that's the worst for us in the DOH. It's hard for the individuals that have to do the plowing, employees, it's also hard on the equipment we have," said Greg Phillips, the District 4 DOH Manager. The DOH says its budgeted for the long winter, but if costs get too high, it may have to postpone paving projects this spring.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.wboy.com.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#1 Jan 9, 2009
Are they serious?

Does the DOH really want to convience us that this story is true? Does anyone think this has been a bad winter? This is crazy....bad job by WBOY even reporting this propaganda. Are they trying to get more money or what....how could costs be higher than last year when gas is also half price.

Location hidden

#2 Jan 9, 2009
And one more thing about DOH saving money....why do they mow along roads 2-3 times during the winter? The freaking grass is not growing in the winter you numskulls.

Since: Feb 08

Greenwood WV

#3 Jan 9, 2009
No, this has been an easy winter for them! I don't get the story either. I haven't seem them mowing grass in the winter. I have seen them trim down the trees and clear sapplings from the side of the road a few times in the winter...but not this year so far.

Location hidden

#4 Jan 9, 2009
Oh yea they mow year round, trust me. I saw one out on Davisson Run mowing the side of the road the other day. I see them all the time when snow is not on the ground.

Greenwood WV

#5 Jan 9, 2009
What a waste of taxpayer money. We have to beg state roads to take care of our road. We have a creek that floods and they won't give us a bridge because there are only two families on the road. But they can afford to mow the grass in the winter? That just makes me mad!

Greenwood WV

#6 Jan 18, 2009
A friend of mine had to drive from Doddridge County down to flatwoods this evening. It took her a very long time to get there. She said there are cars in the median and off the side of the road all over the place. Doesn't sound like DOH is taking care of the roads tonight!
Terry Kisner

Clarksburg, WV

#7 May 29, 2009
I live on Dennis Road off of RT 26 N in Bruceton Mills and the pot holes are so bad that you can only drive about 5 miles an hr. The road is supposed to be 55mph if of course you want to loose control of you auto and end up in a tree. They come and patch them once every 2 yrs and never really do anything at all. I can't find the number to call them but as soon as I do you better believe they will be hearing from me. This road is so-o bad and they have no excuses at all why they have no came and seen it or even tried to fix it. I have pics of measuremnets where the pothole are over 8 inches deep.. Poor planing and poor excuese!!

Location hidden

#8 Jun 5, 2009
It is really difficult to find a number to reach the DOH....haha.
Homer Simpson

Kansas City, MO

#10 Jun 21, 2009
DOH

Location hidden

#11 Jun 21, 2009
I'm so glad this topic from winter was brought back so you could drop that horrible joke.

It's a good thing your not trying to make a living in comedy.

“Make Way For The Bad Guy”

Since: May 09

Youngstown

#12 Jun 21, 2009
LOL @ homer'

X:
BA Barracus

Terre Haute, IN

#13 Jun 21, 2009
I pity da fool what be vilating de simpson's copyright. Some dum biotch jes paid 2 mill for downloadin music. Da RIAA jes hired da A-Team to fight dem copyright vilations. You goin down, Homer Simpson wannabe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Preston County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Preston County Teacher Accused of Murder Appear... (Apr '07) May '17 Cousin of the vic... 95
millers (Nov '16) Apr '17 Wonder why 8
News James DeGasperin Sentenced (Aug '08) Jan '17 seriously what 12
Marcus Stiles (Dec '16) Dec '16 Firefighter John 1
News Arrests Made on Day 1 of All Good Festival (Jul '11) Apr '15 ingiee 5
News Homeland Security seeking public information re... (Mar '15) Mar '15 ElmerStExpress 1
Paul "Boog" Shaffer (Jan '15) Jan '15 Tiredofpunkassbit... 1
More from around the web