Most inmate suits over prison staph infections dismissed

Nov 13, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

CROWN POINT, Ind. -- A spate of lawsuits filed by inmates who contend filthy jail conditions spread staph infections behind bars are meeting with mixed court rulings so far. via The Courier-Journal

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Sandy Langan

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

My brother is a prisoner in Waupan, WI and is now in a comma and dying at University of Wisconsin Hospital in Madison from Staph. How can I find out more about his living conditions that precipitated this, and find out if there was negligence? Is the information about the number of infections in an institution public and how can I find out more information about an individual place?
Thugs4less

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

Staph is spread from person to person. Contact. Good hygeine is a must to prevent staph from spreading. Hand washing is the best. I would assume that this is not practiced in the pen. Disgusting really. I guess that's the chance you take when you are sent to prison because you can't behave accordingly to society's rules.
Sandy Langan

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

Let's try it again... I know what Staph is... I need to find statistical information on an institution. These places are basicly hog confinement lots for humans.
Thugs4less

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

Sandy Langan wrote:
Let's try it again... I know what Staph is... I need to find statistical information on an institution. These places are basicly hog confinement lots for humans.
Hog confinement lots or whatever you want to call it. They deserve what they get. If you can't follow society's rules, this is where you go. Maybe if prison was a little bit harsh, the thugs might stop acting the way they do. Either way, who gives a crap? That's why no one is responding to your question. Nobody cares about a criminal. In fact, we're all sick of them.
Thugs4less

Troy, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2007

Sandy Langan wrote:
My brother is a prisoner in Waupan, WI and is now in a comma and dying at University of Wisconsin Hospital in Madison from Staph. How can I find out more about his living conditions that precipitated this, and find out if there was negligence? Is the information about the number of infections in an institution public and how can I find out more information about an individual place?
What? You gonna sue them? HaHaHa.....You got your nerve. Your brother committed an offense bad enought to land him in prison. He's gets staph and now you want to sue. Give me and the taxpayer's of WI a freakin break. He's a loser and you're a loser for trying to milk money out of the system. Man oh Man. It takes all kinds.
white-collar criminal

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

Thugs4less wrote:
<quoted text>What? You gonna sue them? HaHaHa.....You got your nerve. Your brother committed an offense bad enought to land him in prison. He's gets staph and now you want to sue. Give me and the taxpayer's of WI a freakin break. He's a loser and you're a loser for trying to milk money out of the system. Man oh Man. It takes all kinds.
Takes one to know one buddy. If you have that much built up anger inside of you that you have to make yourself feel superior to a woman who's problem obviously doesn't appy to you, then I think you are in need of a life, and a hobby. Don't you have something better to do, like run for congress so you can fit in with the rest of the narrowminded, egotistical weiners that are apparently in charge of 'Thugs4less'.. People like you make me sick. Go cyber-bully someone else-- maybe they'll appreciate that violin you're playing. I'm sure its no interest to you why her brother's in prison, so go get laid and take a break from your computor...;)
white-collar criminal

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2008

Sandy Langan wrote:
I agree. I am no felon, but my husband is serving time currently for a NON-VIOLENT conviction. He doesn't have money for a good lawyer, so he gets to reside there for a short time. I came onto this page looking for answers as well. My husband is a jail w 30% of his leg infected with Staph. He has been waiting to see a doctor for a week. I do not care what laws he broke, or your brother broke. They are paying their debt to society by living in confinement. If they are incarserated by the state, then they should be taken care of by the state. The state has taken on the responsibility of their healthcare as well as their safety. I'm sure your situation can be progressive if you persue it. You need to find a lawyer and the health code laws for your state. I don't know about getting money from the state, but somebody should be held accountable for his condition not being treated appropriately.
Accu

Bolingbrook, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2008

Sandy Langan wrote:
Even if there was 24/7 video survellience to prove he contracted Staph from someone already infected with Staph, the chances are pretty remote you could show negligence. Unsanitary conditions are all over jails/prisons. Eating areas, showers, floors, clothes, cells, rec rooms. It goes with the territory. You really never know what you'll come across. Govt has their workers sign a little piece of paper saying they checked the showers for cleanliness, etc. every 4 hours or so...That's good enough for them to skirt out.

Try this angle...Was he initially treated with antibiotics? Staph infections usually respond well, even resistant strains. If you're looking for negligence, check into how he was treated medically after he was infected. In the Medical/Legal world they say, "No harm, no foul". Meaning "loss of life or limb"...maybe you have a case. I don't mean to sound cold, but it sounds like that's where you brother is headed.
Bubba

Osage Beach, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2008

And people wonder why our taxes go up? Frivolous lawsuits like these. I mean, seriously, who really cares if a guy, in prison gets staph? He's in prison for a reason. I guess that's the chance you take when you can't be a productive citizen in society. This guy wouldn't have staph if he would have abided by the law. It's a pretty simple concept. So, technically, he's at fault. So, maybe he should sue himself.
Thugs4less

Osage Beach, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2008

white-collar criminal wrote:
<quoted text>
Takes one to know one buddy. If you have that much built up anger inside of you that you have to make yourself feel superior to a woman who's problem obviously doesn't appy to you, then I think you are in need of a life, and a hobby. Don't you have something better to do, like run for congress so you can fit in with the rest of the narrowminded, egotistical weiners that are apparently in charge of 'Thugs4less'.. People like you make me sick. Go cyber-bully someone else-- maybe they'll appreciate that violin you're playing. I'm sure its no interest to you why her brother's in prison, so go get laid and take a break from your computor...;)
Good. I really glad I turn you stomach. That's my agenda. Because I really don't want thugs or their sympathizers around me or in society at all. Who really cares what happens to prisoners? Not me. They deserve everything they get. It works like this. If you can't follow the laws of society, then you go to jail. Jail is not a vacation. Jail is not a free college education. Jail is not suppose to be fun. It's suppose to suck! Jail is punishment. You can acquire staph from your own freakin nose. That's where it lives. Maybe these lovely prisoners gave it to themselves? Yep.....that's a good probability.
laura

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

a human being is a human being and has the rights under the constitution to have the same medical care as you. we do not live in a third world country. Terrorist prisoners at Quantanmo Bay get better medical care than prisoners in wisconsin. Read the Constitution egghead Mr. Righteous.
laura

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

any human being who can revel in the crisis of an innocent person is without concience I pray for those in crisis and thank goodness that I don't have to live in a miserable mind such as yours. There are no laws that cover people missing a concience but you are in your own prison of mind. Good luck. to those who are in need of help I pray for you. Get a good lawyer.
Tassles like Elvis

Osage Beach, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2008

laura wrote:
a human being is a human being and has the rights under the constitution to have the same medical care as you. we do not live in a third world country. Terrorist prisoners at Quantanmo Bay get better medical care than prisoners in wisconsin. Read the Constitution egghead Mr. Righteous.
A where are the constitutional rights of the victims of these crimes that these slimeballs committed? What if the victim is dead? What happens to those person's rights when they are being victimized? Do you think Joe Criminal cares about his victim's rights? You have got to be kidding me! Please, pray for yourself so that you can see the light of justice. Remember the Bible says, "An eye for an eye, etc" Maybe this is God's punishment to these idiots for not being a law abiding citizen? Probably so. Staph comes in many forms. I hope they have the "flesh eating type." They usually have to start cutting things off with that one. Could be a good reminder that crime just doesn't pay.
Gary

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2008

Sandy Langan wrote:
Take a look at this site it may help to answer your question. http://www.staphaseptic.com/news.cfm...
chetthejet

Jerseyville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2008

Do not let the state bury this Staph problem (along with its victims). If there is negligence, there will most likely be an attempt at a cover-up.

Remember that just because a person has been sent to prison (innocent or guilty, there are both), they are all entitled to proper care and treatment. Even if guilty, the punishment is the "loss of freedom," not a crapshoot at getting infected with disease due to negligence, should negligence be the case. I believe is was the Nazies who didn't care about the diseases their inmate population caught, and in fact, took the same attitude as some of the those posting here, that prisoners somehow deserve this. Don't let these Holy Roller knockoffs get all Holier than Thou on you.

I am sure the prison where the Staph problem has reportedly occurred does not intend to have these inmates infected. Yet if it has, indeed, happened, you'll have to remain vigilant in uncovering the truth of the matter.

And did any of these Glass House rock-throwers who believe you should expect these life-threatening conditions ever consider that Staph could "jump" to the prison "staff." It is entirely possible that the conditions at the prison didn't not cause the problem. It may have been a prison guard, or a visitor, or a Holy Roller that got too close to the gate.
VICTIM OF A CRIME

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2008

Judged:

Thugs4less wrote:
Staph is spread from person to person. Contact. Good hygeine is a must to prevent staph from spreading. Hand washing is the best. I would assume that this is not practiced in the pen. Disgusting really. I guess that's the chance you take when you are sent to prison because you can't behave accordingly to society's rules.
TO ALL OF YOU WHO ARE SO QUICK TO JUDGE AND THROW STONES I AM SURE THAT YOU ARE NOT LIVING A LIFE THAT IS SIN FREE WHAT WOULD YOUR PUNISHMENT BE IF YOU WERE CAUGHT AND TRIED IN A COURT OF MORALS?!?!
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE PRISONERS AND YOU THE HIGH AND MIGHTY IS THAT THEY WERE CAUGHT AND ARE DOING TIME AND YOU JUST KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT REMEMBER THERE ARE MANY THINGS THAT SOCIETY FROWNS UPON AND ARE DISGUSTED BY THAT YOU DO BEHIND CLOSED DOORS THAT NOBODY KNOWS YOU JUST ARE CAREFUL NOT TO GET CAUGHT AND YOU JUST DON'T SPEAK OF IT YOU SHOULD NOT JUDGE SO HARSHLY LEST YOU BE JUDGED HOPE YOU HAVE A CHANGE OF HEART BUT UNTILL THEN... BECAREFUL IT SEEMS THAT PEOPLE TRIP AND FALL OVER THEIR LONG TONGUES AND YOU JUST MIGHT CATCH STAPH WHILE YOU'RE DOWN IF YOUR BIG MOUTH DON'T GET YOU KARMA WILL THOSE IN GLASS HOUSES SHOULDN'T THROW STONES
josh

Moody, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

i went to jail for 2 days for a class b and caught staph and im only 21 and have a scar on my face and several on my legs because they kept me in the holding cell and i just got off work(plummer) so i was dirty.well they never allowed me to shower when i asked several times. what do i do?law suit?
Sandy

Ruby, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2008

He died... his family was not allowed to see him until he was in a coma. We were spoon fed whatever information the prison decided to give us. The end
mama

Glendora, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2009

i am so scared my gusband got staff and we dont know how to treat it he is in prison in california and I want to know how I can helkp him from out here ....help! please

“EVOLUTION IS EXTINCTION”

Since: Aug 07

MARIETTA, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2009

Sandy Langan wrote:
Justice is when somebody gets what they deserve! Ask yourself? OK???

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Porter County Discussions

Search the Porter County Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
If Boyfriends Asks You To Hold His Stash, Just ... (Apr '06) Jan '14 Colorado Chick 85
St. Mary to build $18M clinic in Valparaiso (Nov '11) Sep '13 Norman 2
Teen dies after taking synthetic LSD (Jul '13) Jul '13 americason 1
Study: Half of Indiana smokers tried to quit (Apr '13) Apr '13 adam45 5
Valpo teen removes electronic monitoring device... (Feb '13) Feb '13 LUVmYhORSE 1
Portage middle school teacher faces new charges... (Feb '13) Feb '13 robert williams 1
Men who emotionally abuse women and get by with... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Anonymous 1
•••
•••
•••
•••