One-man concert against high gas prices draws a crowd, and the ...

There are 20 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 11, 2008, titled One-man concert against high gas prices draws a crowd, and the .... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Jay Weinberg struck a chord with drivers when he staged an unauthorized concert on the roof of a gas station in northwest Indiana to protest high fuel prices.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Joe

United States

#1 May 11, 2008
Right on.................
marie s

Greenwood, IN

#2 May 11, 2008
What horseshot that he was arrested. Of course, the government hates artists because they are "dangerous." Good for him for speaking out! Our lovely elected officials (such as Barack 'i play my race when it suits me' Obama) sure as hell aren't.

Go Jay. I'm with you.
tom

Evanston, IL

#3 May 11, 2008
This guy's a boob. I agree that the oil companies shouldn't be making these profits but the price of gas is actually lower than it should be when you figure how much we spend on our military to secure it, the billions of hidden dollars in health costs due to car and truck pollution etc.
We're now competing with China, India and even the Middle East itself for it and nothing's going to change that. Our long cheap gas honeymoon is over. Tax the hell out of it and put the money into high speed rail. You want to screw the oil companies? Get out of your car and walk or ride your bike.
law

Lubbock, TX

#4 May 11, 2008
Gas prices are based on the market, based on supply and demand, so high gas prices exist because of idiot americans living in their ugly suburban crapholes with their 8 thousand pound SUV,pickup or hummer. You can't grow oil on trees so because demand is so unnecessarily high your gasoline prices will be high. Deal with it!
OUR NEW ANTHEM

Valparaiso, IN

#5 May 11, 2008
Greatness ;-) Way to Go JAY!!!
its about time-

Valparaiso, IN

#6 May 11, 2008
something needs to be done, and nobody else seems to be doin' jack squat! i heard you and your wife on THE LOOP wednesday--sounded fantastic. can we request this song on there?
Dirk

Cincinnati, OH

#8 May 11, 2008
Greedy folk singer selfishly wants to pay less for gas... sigh.
Jason_P

Bloomington, IN

#9 May 11, 2008
This is a total joke. High gas prices are a joke. People can afford it, but for some it just may tap into their other great habits..like buying lottery tickets etc. These same people who complain probably complain while drinking at a bar and smoking cigs. Please.
LOVE it

Valparaiso, IN

#13 May 12, 2008
i think it's great that you stick up for the people. i guess lennon had the nay-sayers as well!!!

Since: Mar 08

Los Alamos, New Mexico

#14 May 12, 2008
Repeal the Environmentalist laws, Enable the building of more refineries, and Drilling for more oil.

BE Constructive, not just yell and scream! Stop electing environmentalist to congress, and your state legislator!
tom

Evanston, IL

#15 May 12, 2008
"As for your supply and demand...Try again Einstein...Demand is down yet prices are continually rising"
Demand dipped ever so slightly in the US for the first time in almost twenty years in '07. Demand worldwide is rising fast. China's economy is in hyper-drive. They now export more in one day than they did in the entire year of 1978.
You want to spend 10 billion to pull a year's worth of oil out of ANWR in 7-10 years, I'm sure you'll have no shortage of reactionary nitwits to follow you. I'm an American and only a fool looks around and doesn't see idiots from sea to shining sea. Keep building shoddy car-dependent subdivisions further and further from transit. They will be empty ghettos inside 25 years.

“You're off!”

Since: Jan 08

Quito, Ecuador

#16 May 12, 2008
WHAT A NUTJOB U ARE wrote:
<quoted text>
Idiot Americans? And what nationality are you? I'm guessing mid-eastern scumbag...
As for your supply and demand...Try again Einstein...Demand is down yet prices are continually rising...Guess you're too stupid to read!
*Domestic* demand for *gasoline* is down. You do realize that there are countries outside our border, right?

And learn to punctuate *before* you start insulting the intelligence of other people.

“You're off!”

Quito, Ecuador

#17 May 12, 2008
LOVE it wrote:
i think it's great that you stick up for the people. i guess lennon had the nay-sayers as well!!!
How does protesting a gas station do anything? Gas stations hardly make good money on sales of gas itself.

But, gosh, we have a "look at me" singer protesting the wrong target. Kumbayah.
Adrian

Pinellas Park, FL

#18 May 12, 2008
It is true that the gas stations aren't making huge profits on the rising gas prices. But they are the face of the issue right now, and it makes them the target. This guy should have bought his gas at a set price like I did. I bought all my gas for the summer at $3.59 a gallon. When gas prices rise to $4 a gallon, I'll be saving more than 40 cents a gallon. You can't beat that. Check it out, www.yesterdaysgas.com
Ren

Pensacola, FL

#20 May 12, 2008
Ren is here......and would like to know what's going on so that Ren can join the conversation
Anthony C

Chicago, IL

#21 May 12, 2008
ByronMoreno: I don't know the protestor, but consider that he may have just been using the gasoline station as an obvious prop. He probably knows he has no beef with that individual station owner/franchisee. But it's a gas station, lots of similarly frustrated consumers go there, it was a good place for him to get his message out.

“You're off!”

Quito, Ecuador

#22 May 12, 2008
Anthony C wrote:
ByronMoreno: I don't know the protestor, but consider that he may have just been using the gasoline station as an obvious prop. He probably knows he has no beef with that individual station owner/franchisee. But it's a gas station, lots of similarly frustrated consumers go there, it was a good place for him to get his message out.
I don't disagree. I was just mocking the poster who claimed that harassing a station owner is "standing up for the people" in any way, shape, or form.

The problem comes in that too many people think it's the station that is responsible for the high prices. And they use this to justify retaliation. I just hate to see someone propagate a misconception.
Ren

Pensacola, FL

#23 May 12, 2008
ByronMoreno wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't disagree. I was just mocking the poster who claimed that harassing a station owner is "standing up for the people" in any way, shape, or form.
The problem comes in that too many people think it's the station that is responsible for the high prices. And they use this to justify retaliation. I just hate to see someone propagate a misconception.
Yeah and Ren thinks that stuff is bad and things..... serioualy wht is going on here.

Since: Oct 07

Chicago, IL

#24 May 12, 2008
Right on! I'm so inspired, I'm going to go out and protest the weather! And then I'll write a song to speak out against death. I mean, someone has to do something, right?
Elroy

United States

#25 May 12, 2008
law wrote:
Gas prices are based on the market, based on supply and demand, so high gas prices exist because of idiot americans living in their ugly suburban crapholes with their 8 thousand pound SUV,pickup or hummer. You can't grow oil on trees so because demand is so unnecessarily high your gasoline prices will be high. Deal with it!
The market is artificially inflated by speculators. Nationalize the industry and then, gas will be cheaper. Threaten to nationalize the industry and just maybe the oil companies will start eating at least a portion of the increased costs. The oil companies act with impunity and THAT's the real problem.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Porter County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nurse faces felony charges after 'driving half ... Apr 25 girltoshytocry 2
News Election board to discuss candidate complaints (Apr '14) Apr '14 americason 1
News If Boyfriends Asks You To Hold His Stash, Just ... (Apr '06) Jan '14 Colorado Chick 85
News St. Mary to build $18M clinic in Valparaiso (Nov '11) Sep '13 Norman 2
News Most inmate suits over prison staph infections ... (Nov '07) Jul '13 montman 24
News Teen dies after taking synthetic LSD (Jul '13) Jul '13 americason 1
News Study: Half of Indiana smokers tried to quit (Apr '13) Apr '13 adam45 5
More from around the web